Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Factory Hiro discontinuing 1/24?

aurfalien

Hi there,

I frequent the MFH site day dreaming about there kits.

However they no longer seem to offer 1/24.  I do see 2-3 1/24 kits in there value line but nothing like what they had.

Can any one shed some light on this or am I simply not looking carefully?

Edited by aurfalien

Word I got was that MFH was discontinuing Ferrari 1/24 kits. I'm not sure of  the reason 'cept for poor sales, but they are continuing to make the 1/12 scale ones. My "holy grail" is their 1/12 '62 Ferrari 250 GTO. :wub:

At $600+ though, it's gonna be awhile!

It may be that they've discontinued the others simply because they're not selling. Len mentioned he got the Cobra------that may be one of the few that's still a good seller, but yes, they have been cutting back on other kits lately.

Thats a surprise to see all their 1/24 kits no longer listed as I'd been at their site in what seemed was just the other day.

Hiro ceased production of all their line of 1/20 Ferrari F1 kits some time back for what was said to be  licensing issues but who knows.

I think one of the last 1/24 Ferrari kits Hiro made was the Ferrari Lusso which I purchased when it was released a year ago.

With Hiro releasing a new 1/12 scale kit every month they may be just  streamlining production by dropping 1/24.

The logistics of manufacturing and keeping track of all the parts in just one of their 1/12 full detail kits must be  challenging.

MFH stopped making 1/24 stuff with any regularity back in 2013. Since then there have been a handful of things done, usually one subject matter per year. The most recent is a Ferrari 330 LM back in March. Then you have to go back to the end of 2016 when they did a couple of Lancia Super Deltas, end of 2015 when they did 4 versions of the Lancia 037, and the Spring and Fall of 2014 when they did several variations of the Porsche 917K. 

Just back in January I got the 250 GT Lusso kit.

Gerry....I gotta seriously consider getting this one.  Is it really buildable (compared to the British white metal model Lusso I bought in the late 1980's)? 

Are the body proportions reasonably accurate?  Do the white metal window/upper door frames look realistic when finished? 

Since it still looks like we are not going to see a Lusso in 1/24th scale styrene, is this the holy grail (acknowledging the MFH pricing structure) we've been waiting for?  

Would really appreciate your view on this (along with anyone else who has bought and/or built this kit)....thanks...TIM 

It looks pretty good.  I have it packed away now as I am getting ready to move back to the Pacific Northwest.  I did a cursory look at it and proportions seem in line.  The body is typically thick as other MFH offerings, so not even thinking of opening the doors.  Body lines also will need to be deepened (again not unusual for MFH).  I need to do a little research on the rear end as there are variations in Lusso's and I am not sure where this fits.  Some Lusso's have a bit of spoiler and some don't.  

Given there cost and complexity, I reserve getting a MFH only if the topic is REALLY interesting and I believe I will REALLY build it.  As I have styrene 250 GTO's, 250 SWB, 250 TR Pontoon, 275 GTB and GTS, Cobras (including HRM Daytona Coupe), I have avoided those.  I do have the 156 Sharknose (1/20), 512 BB LM and 250 TR/61 as well as the Lusso.

I will look at it more after I move in and get settled.  So, not likely until early 2018.  I did also hear that HRM is NOT going to do the Lusso as MFH released it.  It is a shame, since Harold's version would likely have been more interesting.

Airtrax has a nice Lusso. FPP has done most late 1/24 TR variants, 61, 62, and god love him, an awesome resin 54 375 LM winner.Nice 166MM Chinetti 0008 too

Still need MFH or Renaissance for 58 Hill 250 TR non pontoon 0728, and 60 LM TR, plus MFH for 64/65 250/275 P's

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Well, anyone who can plunk down $11,000.00 for a diecast model has a lot more disposable income than I do.

I asked customer service at Spot Model about this topic.  Their response:
On your thread, here's our two cents :) It's true that MFH is now quite focused on 1/12 and 1/43, not releasing almost anything in 1/20-1/24, but it's not related to any problems with Ferrari :) Thing is that Mr. Hiro has and always will do whatever he is in the mood (a true scale modeling free soul :), whenever he wants, whatever he wants, and just the way he wants, and during this period he's just not in the mood of Ferraris or 1/20-24th :) That simple :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 10:25 PM, 89AKurt said:

Not to stray from the topic too much - Amalgam models are works of art! However, for the cost, I'll have to settle for admiring pictures from this side of the computer screen. ;) Their website certainly provides plenty of eye candy: Amalgam Collection

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

Curious question. What was the original retail price of the 1:1 Ferrari 250 GT?

Back in the day, guessing about 4 times a normal car.  Nowadays maybe 400 times.  I was just checking out a site that sells handmade models, some Ferrari 250 Californias had $650 listed price.

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

Curious question. What was the original retail price of the 1:1 Ferrari 250 GT?

According to http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/series.aspx?modelID=31 a 1963 Lusso originally sold for $12900, so the model is pretty close to the original price for the real deal.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

I picked up the MFH 250 Lusso at a show last weekend. It's a pricey kit, but very well done. The Lusso is my absolute favorite Ferrari. I think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I had considered the AirTrax version, but even that's pretty expensive and it's only a transkit. The MFH version is a complete kit with a nice engine and excellent photoetched wire wheels. I think it's well worth the extra cost.

On 10/7/2017 at 3:49 AM, MrObsessive said:

Word I got was that MFH was discontinuing Ferrari 1/24 kits. I'm not sure of  the reason 'cept for poor sales, but they are continuing to make the 1/12 scale ones. My "holy grail" is their 1/12 '62 Ferrari 250 GTO. :wub:

At $600+ though, it's gonna be awhile!

It may be that they've discontinued the others simply because they're not selling. Len mentioned he got the Cobra------that may be one of the few that's still a good seller, but yes, they have been cutting back on other kits lately.

I've seen the 1/12 GTO that Brad has and it's an incredible kit. I can only imagine what you could do with one of those! I have two of the 1/9 bikes that MFH has done, the Vincent and the Harley Knucklehead. The detail level must be seen to be believed. The Harley even has a separate light bulb for the headlight and a photoetched needle for the speedometer!

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Good, I wanted to find this thread.  I'm a lucky boy! :)

Wow, another one of my grails, but I had to choose either that or their 330 LMB. ;)

Well, not long ago I got my grail from Ed Cervo of Island Collectibles. I had seen the 330 at the NNL East, but didn't' bring enough cash with me for the money he wanted. I DID pick up the 250 Lusso transkit by Airtrax from him! While certainly not as detailed as the MFH kit, it'll certainly do as the body lines are spot on 'cept for a couple minor details.

I've got an engine kit on the way from HRM, and some decent Borranis lying around. When the time comes to build 'er, I'll be all set! :D