Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 road runner Finished !!!!

gotnitro?

I've had this photo on my phone for months waiting for the perfect time to start another quick build...well its time !!!  I'm using the 70 roadrunner for the main parts, back halving a  coronet super bee for the tubs and HUGE tires, and the all important HEMI wheel burner. lets start with the inspiration shot..

37575641581_60dda86598_c.jpg

well that's where I'm headed..so grab a tasty beverage, strap into a seat  and hang on ! 

Edited by gotnitro?

oops, looks like we' re jumping ahead to hacking plastic lol I dumped the planning cuts pics..

next up was right after mocking up the freshly cut chassis' and truing up the cuts prior to gluing them back up.

37575599871_128cdbc489_z.jpg

36905785343_09325cca28_z.jpg

36865367234_58e53a0f09_z.jpg

I added a few strips of angle stock along the tubs to give me more surface area to re attach the chassis section, not wanting this to snap in half after those massive tires are installed !

Of note..too late I realized the 2 kits were different scales, but figured I could make up the differences w strip as needed.

next up stick the axles and K member on and get this sitting on its tires..I really wanted to see how the stance would look !

wait till ya see this..

36865362764_1eecddc113_c.jpg

right away I noticed the pic was missing the wheel moldings, and I had to open the wheel opening anyway..so time to break out the trusty motor tool, going slow and switching to files cleared the trim off about as fast as the car looks lol

23723326248_3e99eb2c60_c.jpg

36865360554_6940cd3ef0_c.jpg

now the tires are in the wind like I wanted !

last test pic...the one most others will ever see of this road runner..tail lights

36865358114_5165ceae04_z.jpg

thanks for looking 

Took a few days  to get the body seams  cleaned up and lay a few coats of Testors Go Mango lacquer , and after drying for 30 minutes 2 coats of ultra gloss clear. heres the results .

36865357494_4f0d20c3f8_c.jpg

23723312648_69ce10cd71_c.jpg

ill let it rest a few days to properly gas out..then wet sand the slight orange peel out. I haven't decided it'll need any more clear. now its time to get that Hemi finished and get the union guys to drop it into the chassis.

any comments welcomed

jeff 

Hmm...good catch don't have a clue lol ! Maybe I'll find something in the stash 

Wasn't calling you out on the spoiler was just wondering if you were going to add one. Looking to add a spoiler to one of my projects.

Wasn't calling you out on the spoiler was just wondering if you were going to add one. Looking to add a spoiler to one of my projects.

no problem  ! Glad ya asked because I usually get into a huge rush then realize I'm missing something obvious!  

You are off to a great start!

thanks I appreciate the comments 

Nice Nice Nice  I like the subject MOPAR !  ....................... do you like that testors Gomango ? I find it to be not bright enough

and a little to brown .

honestly I don't know the specifics of the color,.but comparing pics it does appear darker than the paint chip shown online. The pics were taken in my upstairs model room where it's fairly dark on the side I leave bodies to dry , maybe outside pics would make it pop more. The chassis is the same color, but looks brighter in my eye..both were sprayed over the kit white  plastic . I'm going for close enough from 10 ft lol

thanks for comments 

jeff

Edited by gotnitro?

Nice job on the Chassis splice, great color choice. While everyone sees color a little differently I think many think of the GM Hugger Orange as Orange. The MoPar GoMango Orange is a lighter shade of Orange but just as good looking. I have used both. Infact the GoMango Orange is on a '56 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery. Can't go wrong either way.    

well Dann..heres a small update !!  I always wanted to try flocking an interior..

36942743174_7a8d35af79_c.jpg

37604426116_47c61f3d43_c.jpg

I used black embossing powder. I tried a new to me trick using pledge floor care ( Future ) for the " adhesive" and it worked awesome !! Lays perfectly smooth, and doesn't clump like thinned white glues. 

still need to add the seat belts ,and detail the dash..something that's always given me trouble.

moving around the build while paints dried, it was time to add the Hemi. I have to detail the snot out of it yet, ill pick up supplies at this weekends model show. I want to add a pre wired cap / wires, throttle springs, and basic wiring to the starter and probably fuel stuff. any advice very welcome its my first plumbing job lol.

36982348513_79ec9af476_c.jpg

all that exhaust has toexit somewhere..I added the pipes from solder bent to look cool , and drilled out a couple mufflers.I plan a set of drilled tips exiting right ahead of the tires

37395287720_dacf03481c_c.jpg

37395289770_a3c2510792_c.jpg

36982355443_f0df64c436_z.jpg

36982361813_f77e70569e_z.jpg

that's it for today any comments welcome  

thanks for following along

jeff