• Announcements

• Site Upgrade   11/18/2017

The Forums will be down, Sunday, November 26th starting 9 AM PST for upgrade.We'll probably be down until 1PM PST, but it might be longer. I'm doing a major forum software upgrade, so I expect the forums to operate somewhat differently when we come back online.  Update: I've had a medical issue come up, and this window might not get used. 
      Update 2: I'm moving the upgrade to 9 AM Sunday.  

Source for good gauge decals

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm looking for opinions and sources for decals for gauges in general. I'll plan on using them on pretty much any kit I build so not looking for specific model. I've seen a few different decal sheets on eBay and online retailers, but I'm not sure which might be the best to try.

Posted

I know he makes them for specific cars, but he so cheap that you can probably find the right gauges you need from this guy

http://www.bestmodelcarparts.com/products.php?view=productListPage&category=2

You're right, they are priced very reasonably. He does offer one set of generic gauges as well. Got it bookmarked. Thanks!

Posted

One thing to note is that these are not decals. They have to be cut out and glued, it isn't a big deal though. You can also email them and let them know what you are looking for, they might be able to print them for you.

Posted

I highly recommend the gauge faces from Bestmodelcarparts! He's been my go-to guy for the last several years when it comes to what I need for a project.

Michael is right though......you'll have to either drill out the original gauge and replace it, or maybe put it over the original. Here's a couple examples I have of his gauges...................

PC065491
PC255329

Posted

Those look great! Off I go............

Posted

I highly recommend the gauge faces from Bestmodelcarparts!............

Ditto. For my Ranchero gluebomb restoration, I used his Falcon/Ranchero gauges, saved me much bother of trying hand-paint them. They are a bit of a chore to cut out, but the shine of the printing almost makes it look like there are clear lenses over the gauges.

Rancho_dash.thumb.JPG.e92c64a61fc2426626

Posted

I've got a list of about a dozen gauge sets that I will soon be ordering from him.

The nice thing is that he makes quite a few gauges for vintage kits as well.

Where else can a guy get nice gauges for a '63 Dodge or Plymouth, or a '64 Grand Prix!

Steve

Posted

I glue them in with the paper backing and the look fantastic! I keep a small stock of bestmodelparts gauges on hand...

Posted

He also does license plates that are fantastic.   You can get from just about any state and any time period.   I have enough on hand to do several dozen kits.

Posted

Mine arrived yesterday and they look fantastic. I will be ordering more for sure.

Posted

I've used these a ton and they work great. Highly recommended.

Posted

Couldn't a person scan the gauges and then print on decal paper?

I search online for gauges and save the file(s) for possible printing down the road.

Posted

How about 'Slixx' decals?  They offer a big sheet of guages, big, small, and different colors.  Also, MicroMark tools offers a small, very sharp, scissors for cutting out decals.  It seems like they may be 'surgical' grade or something.  Excellent product, I think.

Posted

I just placed an order with Best Model Car Parts. Got a set for what I'm working on now, and a few extra's for upcoming builds. He has a LOT of sets that match up with my stash, so I'll probably be ordering again pretty soon.

Posted

As an aside, why not make these yourself?

Get some decent photo paper, set your printer to the highest quality setting, then find the gauges you want on the internet. Size them down, print them, stick them to some thin styrene sheet, affix to instrument cluster.

Works for making your own license plates too.

I've done a couple of kits like this now. The first ones I did are just okay, the latest ones are turning out perfectly.