Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968/69 Dodge Dart Resin Front Bench Seat?

Just wondering if anyone knows a source for a stock bench seat for a '68 or 69 Dart t convert the bucket seat GTS to a bench seat car. I know I can cut a rear seat but Id prefer a resin one . I'm not concerned about tthe model being totally accurate as a non GTS, just creating something close.  Also, was the GT model offered with a slant six? Just wondering.. Any help appreciated.

Edited by impcon

Certainly would be nice to see a bench seat for the 1968 and 1969 Dart GT/S (different upholstery patterns between those years ) .

The 340 GTS came standard with a column-shift automatic ; 383 were all floor shift , regardless (and , again , the automatic was standard ).

Here's a link to Hamtramck Historical , which is an invaluable resource for all things MoPar :

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Those little Darts were nice cars. My brother said that he saw a Dart in Vancouver, B.C. years ago that was apparently running a 383 or a 440 and he said that it had "Dancin' Dart" graphics. I have never heard of that before or since.. I wonder if the graphics were custom made..?? And yes, someone needs to cast those front seats.

Edited by impcon

Harts parts has a "A" body front Bench seat.

For the AMT 1971 Duster 340 , though . If it's anything like Hart's interior conversion for the Revell 1968 'LO23' (i.e. , to correct the incorrect GTS' door panels , and the radio-and-climate-control-panel dashboard) , then it's GOT to be good .

For the AMT 1971 Duster 340 , though . If it's anything like Hart's interior conversion for the Revell 1968 'LO23' (i.e. , to correct the incorrect GTS' door panels , and the radio-and-climate-control-panel dashboard) , then it's GOT to be good .

Thank you Mr. Mopar and John - I'll check that out.

Make one, it is pretty easy ......

67 Dart sedan bench 2.jpg

67 Dart sedan bench 3.jpg

Thanks Alan, I was trying to avoid making one.. maybe I am getting lazy in my  old age - I was just hoping that someone may have a ready made seat. I'm thinking that when I do this project, I'll do as you have shown. I appreciate all the responses guys.

Does the Hemi Dart kit still have the backseat in it like the stock version does ?  I haven't looked in one of these kits in a while and my memory isn't what it used to be

Yes as it is a two in one kit to do the wedge GTS . So it really is the 68 GTS kit with Hemi conversion parts included , except the biggest omission being the correct Hemi interior

Does the Hemi Dart kit still have the backseat in it like the stock version does ?  I haven't looked in one of these kits in a while and my memory isn't what it used to be

There's one platform which is sans back seat and console ; that's the 'LO23' platform (which is intended for the Hemi / 4-speed) . The other platform is the GTS' : back seat and console .

Alan, May I ask what the difference between a Hemi interior and a non Hemi interior is?  I am not that familiar with the Darts although I have always liked them.. But then they have four wheels, so what's not to love? *sighs* Seriously though, there is a lot to be learned about these little cars. Someone did a conversion of a hardtop to a convertible quite awhile ago - they did look good in that body style, didn't they? I have searched for that write up but have not found it - another missing link in modelling and a good project for some enterprising resin caster - one that would probably sell well too. I'm thinking a convertible with a slant six automatic.. just to be different.

Edited by impcon

Alan, May I ask what the difference between a Hemi interior and a non Hemi interior is?  I am not that familiar with the Darts although I have always liked them.. But then they have four wheels, so what's not to love? *sighs* Seriously though, there is a lot to be learned about these little cars. Someone did a conversion of a hardtop to a convertible quite awhile ago - they did look good in that body style, didn't they? I have searched for that write up but have not found it - another missing link in modelling and a good project for some enterprising resin caster - one that would probably sell well too. I'm thinking a convertible with a slant six automatic.. just to be different.

I believe that the Hemi interior had A-100(?) van seats, no rear seat, and pull-up side windows.

I believe that the Hemi interior had A-100(?) van seats, no rear seat, and pull-up side windows.

Hmmmmmm.. sounds like Mother Mopar really was on a cutback routine - pull up side windows?? That's actually funny! I know it was done to save weight.. but imagine having a police officer at the side of your car asking you to roll your window down? What about at the drive in - the car hop wouldn't have any place to hang the tray with your burgers and fries.. just kidding.. I doubt too many Hemi Darts frequented the local A&W or what ever back when they still had car hops.. Drive ins - car hops - most definitely from a better time.. simpler with better music, to say the least.

Alan,, I am assuming that the body in those pictures is a resin one as is the  grille and parts.. are those pieces still available do you know and who cast them?

Those were cast by Wendell Sowers AFXnScale long ago, He still owes me stuff from years ago , you can inquire here on ebay , I am pretty sure it is him mustang_mom44820

Alan

Dodge A-100 van seats on drilled/stamped aluminum rails, radio and sound deadener delete, no window mechanisms . Windows were held up with seat belt straps that snapped to the door panel. If automatic they had a Hurst auto shifter , manual shifter had a separate reverse lock out lever. No rear seat .....  

The 1968 Hurst-Hemi Dart ( LO23 ) and Barracuda ( BO29 ) had -- interior-wise -- the following :

- No Rear Seat

Bostrom bucket seats , on fixed-position , light weight aluminium "tracks" 

- No Window Mechanisms ( the rear windows were 'fixed' in the up-position ) 

- "270" Trim Level (Dart) ; Barracuda (e.g. , not Formula-S) Trim Level **

- Carpet without the jute backing 

- Manual Trans was a "Slick-Shift" 4-speed ( A/K/A , "Crash-Box" ) ; separate 'Reverse Lockout' lever (new for 1968 as required by NHRA [ and , likely , AHRA and IHRA ] )

- TorqueFlite was full-manual shift ( Reverse-Pattern Manual Valvebody ) , with a Hurst Dual Gate shifter & console

- No Heater / Defogger

- Seat Belt straps to pull windows up ; button snap to hold the Chemcor glass up .

** = Maybe it was 'GT/S' trim , but definitely didn't have any 'GT/S' emblems .

These cars were not meant to be street operated , as the requisite safety equipment (as of the 1968 model year) was negated . These were purpose-built , rough-cut cars which were intended to be 'finished' by their owner(s) . Certainly , a handful of them actually were registered ( !! ) for street use --- an almost impossible task as these cars were sold ( $1 to sponsored racers ; $5,800 +/ - on a 'retail' level ) with an MSO ( Manufacture's Statement of Origin ) only .

Other equipment abounds , but I'll limit myself to interior appointments (or , lack thereof ).

Edited by 1972coronet