Model Cars Magazine Forum

EMHAR Bedford Tanker

Building an Emhar Bedford OLB 5-ton tanker truck at the moment and here I have included a few photos of the build at its present stage. The fit of the parts in this kit is exceptionally good, and also the detail is excellent. Finding the instruction sheet very different from the Revell London Bus but easy enough to follow. There is absolutely no flash on any of the sprues, so no excessive cutting to do. Several options are available, one of which is a chassis extension to allow the spare wheel carrier to have an underslung position. This kit is quite expensive and at just under £38.00 is actually £10.00 more than the cost of the Revell bus. To begin with I was under the impression that the work involved to build this Bedford would turn out to be a lot less than the bus build, but in reality there is just as much work to do. The four long hoses that are stored on the racks at each side of the tanker body are rigid plastic as supplied in the box, but I have scratch built some flexible hoses out of boot laces and these look much more realistic. Much more work on the chassis than there was with the bus, and this even includes individual CV joints for the two propshafts! Emhar have four different versions of the O-series Bedford trucks from the early 1950's, so in addition to the tanker there is a tipper truck, a drop-sided truck and a recovery truck. I would certainly build one of the other versions, based on my experience with this one. Colour is French Blue.

David

100_9220.JPG

100_9260.JPG

100_9261.JPG

100_9262.JPG

100_9295.JPG

100_9297.JPG

100_9330.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some more recent photos now that the Bedford tanker is nearly completed. I have added some lettering on the tank sides for Watson Fuels, although a tanker for Watson in the late 1950's would be red not blue ! Engine still needs spark plug leads fitting, the driver's door is waiting for hinges to be fabricated and there are three bonnet panels to fit. I have already made and fitted the hinges for the passenger door from brass. Found that Tamiya Sky Blue acrylic paint is very close to the Zero Paints French Blue.

100_9749.JPG

100_9794.JPG

100_9797.JPG

100_9799.JPG

Thanks Ace-Garageguy, and I am really impressed with these Emhar kits. They produce four nice looking model trucks so I might buy a tipper version next. Moving on to my next build which is a 1955 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I, using some of the Minicraft kit parts, some Revell kit parts and many more parts scratch built by  myself. Following closely after the Silver Cloud there will be a Tamiya Morgan 4/4 that will be getting a few coats of Ferrari Giallo Modena Yellow 4305. Doing some more molding and casting in between builds, consisting of lamps for a Minicraft / Revell 1886 Daimler-Benz carriage, also a chauffeur figure from a Shapeways 3D printed figure, and an interior seating module for a Rolls-Royce.

One photo of the Bedford nearing completion.

David

100_9859.JPG