Model Cars Magazine Forum

73 MPC Mach1 build

vamach1

Building a replica of a friend 73 Mach1.  Used the 69/70 engine compartment from Monogram.  Cut out the fold down seat from the AMT 71 Mustang interior.  Door panels are resin cast cut to fit.  Steering wheel from AMT Mustang.  Decals will be from Keith Marks.   Engine will be 351 Cleveland with C6 trans.  Other details will be added to engine.  Will have to modify exhaust for single since it is a 2 bbl engine with Ram Air.

Before I tackle the paint I was wondering what you all think about this.  The front fenders have the Mustang script molded in the fenders which is correct for a 73.  The problem is the decal will have to be cut up to not cover up the script and painted to match the stripe.  The alternative is I use a 73 body that does not have the script molded in or simply sand it off.  I hate to do that as it is engraved nicely.  If I do I have some photoetch that should match the script pretty close.  Decisions decisions.

IMG_1343.PNG

Why cut the decal if you want the emblem? With setting solutions, you can snuggle it right down over the emblem and then paint or Molotow-pen it.

While I got you on the phone, you seem to be pretty sharp on '71-'73 Stangs. I'm not. I recently bought a (already built) Testor 1/24 diecast '71 Mach 1, black with silver (argent?) trim. The thing looks pretty accurate to me. I laid some Snake-Fu on the grille, rear panel, lights, wheels, and so forth, and the thing now looks pretty darn good. Certainly good enough to fill that slot on my shelf. Are you familiar with this diecast? Anything in particular wrong with it that I should be concerned with? Thanks!

Why cut the decal if you want the emblem? With setting solutions, you can snuggle it right down over the emblem and then paint or Molotow-pen it.

While I got you on the phone, you seem to be pretty sharp on '71-'73 Stangs. I'm not. I recently bought a (already built) Testor 1/24 diecast '71 Mach 1, black with silver (argent?) trim. The thing looks pretty accurate to me. I laid some Snake-Fu on the grille, rear panel, lights, wheels, and so forth, and the thing now looks pretty darn good. Certainly good enough to fill that slot on my shelf. Are you familiar with this diecast? Anything in particular wrong with it that I should be concerned with? Thanks!

Other than it a hybrid 72/73 with a 70 Boss 429 engine which never came in a 71/73 Mustang it is a nice shellf model.  The stripes are from a 72 but the front bumper is from a 73.  The grille is a 72 and the rear mach1 decal is a 73.  The door panel wood grain is too large.  The rear spoiler sits too high.   The dual exhaust should have oval mufflers and not resonators.  There are a few things I do like - the clear headlights and Mach1/Boss grille, the wheelsand tires are good as is the nine inch rear compared to the plastic kits.  The paint is nice and the hood is actuallly painted correctly - even better than most real cars I have seen.  So, you can repaint it and make either a 73 with Keith Marks decals and put a 351C in it and the correct grille from the MPC kit or build it as is and build the all plastic versions correct.  I built this yellow one as is.

IMG_1344.JPG

Edited by vamach1

Other than it a hybrid 72/73 with a 70 Boss 429 engine which never came in a 71/73 Mustang it is a nice shellf model.  The stripes are from a 72 but the front bumper is from a 73.  The grille is a 72 and the rear mach1 decal is a 73.  The door panel wood grain is too large.  The rear spoiler sits too high.   The dual exhaust should have oval mufflers and not resonators.  There re a few things I do like - theclear headlights and Mach1/Boss grille, the wheelsand tires are good as is the nine inch rear compared to the plastic kits.  The paint is nice and the hood is actuallly painted correctly - even better than most real cars I have seen.  So, you can repaint it and make either a 73 with Keith Marks decals and put a 351C in it and the correct grille from the MPC kit or build it as is and build the all plastic versions correct.  I built this yellow one as is.

I took a good look at it today and see what you mean on some points. The grille shape isn't quite right but I'm not sure it's right for a '72 either. I don't see the difference in the side stripes. Didn't look at the back stripes. I did notice that it doesn't seem to have the turn signals under the front bumpers that it should. I might be able to add those with paint.

Thanks for your comments/observations. I appreciate it! B)

Mr Vamach1, did you make those FoMoCo hubcaps or is there somewhere I can buy them? I’ve given up on a stock non vented hood.

thank you

plashdaddy

The FOMOCO hupcaps are resin and were in my stash so I am not sure of the source.  However a EBAY seller may have them.  I am wait to hear back from her >>>  mustang_mom44820

Yes there is no non-vented hood available so you had to fill it with putty.  Don't you love how they assumed the hood had vents like a 70 and of course never corrected the mold in 45 years when it was obvious there were no vents.

Edited by vamach1
typo

• 1 month later...