Model Cars Magazine Forum

New "material" for carpeting?

Yesterday, I was at a Michael's store, looking for flocking. After unsuccessfully searching, I asked an employee, who referred to their computer and informed me that they didn't carry it. So, I looked in the scrapbooking, stamping and card making area, and found something called "embossing powder". I was looking for black flocking, so, I neglected to look to see if there were other colors. When i got home, I tested the embossing powder over flat black paint. I am pleased with the result! I think it looks very nice as the short pile that carpets many cars. What do you guys think? Am I all wet, on this?

IMG_3417cr.jpg

IMG_3418cr.jpg

IMG_3419cr.jpg

IMG_3420cr.jpg

IMG_3421cr.jpg

IMG_3422cr.jpg

IMG_3423cr.jpg

IMG_3424cr.jpg

You can paint it what ever color you want.  I just buy black white and beige and paint for exact color I want.

Or you can buy a set that contains nearly every color you will ever need.

The colors can be mixed to some extent & the set I have is metallic giving you the nice "salt & pepper" affect found in a lot of older cars.

Steve

DSCN3664

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 6:50 PM, KWT said:

Out of curiosity... since I've missed out somewhere on this and flocking... how does one go about using this?

Paint the floor area ( or what ever you want 'carpeted ' with a like color paint ( some use clear elmers glue )

While the paint is still quite wet , sprinkle the embossing powder on it. Once dry turn the tub over and shake to remove any excess.,,,, viola , carpet.

20170331_091121.jpg

20161012_102648.thumb.jpg.2cb8f775c0c1a79712ee60ed618c7238.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

I have used fuzzy fur and other flocking material. But I can never get it to completely stick to the adhesive I am using. (Paint or elmers) I usually get about 1/2 maybe a little more to stick. What could I be doing wrong?

I do agree that the embossing powder looks great I need to hit up the micheals next time I am over in Cheyenne.

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just looks like a big mess to me.I don't know,my skills aren't that good I guess.I just buy the stick on fabric sheets from AC Moore,or any craft store.They work fine if you ask me.Yes,they only have a few colors,but most of my carpets in my builds are usually black anyway.

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Just looks like a big mess to me.I don't know,my skills aren't that good I guess.I just buy the stick on fabric sheets from AC Moore,or any craft store.They work fine if you ask me.Yes,they only have a few colors,but most of my carpets in my builds are usually black anyway.

You would be very surprised on how simple & economical embossing powder is to apply.

Basically no skills required whatsoever.

Especially if you're doing a modern "platform style" interior.

If you can operate a paint brush & run a salt shaker, you can apply embossing powder. :)

It's one of the easiest aspects of building in my opinion.

I can flock a carpet in a matter of about 10 minutes if it's not an older "tub style" interior that requires some masking.

But then those interiors usually require masking for painting anyway, so it's a moot point.

Steve

Another vote for embossing powder.  As everybody says, it's dead easy: paint (or white glue) on the floor, shake the embossing powder onto the wet surface, then turn the interior upside down and knock off the excess.  If you have thin/bald spots, just carefully re-apply a little more powder

The (bad!) photo below shows that "Recollections" embossing powder on the interior of a Maisto die-cast '55 Buick California Highway Patrol car.  I had to work around the accelerator pedal, which is molded in place.

Here's a Bonus Tip in that photo: the quarter-panel upholstery was made with HO-scale corrugated metal. (Armrests/ash trays are made from Evergreen rod and the window cranks are from the parts stash.) I did a little more wash/dry-brush on the seats after the photo was taken.  I wanted the seats to look sort of used and grubby, it's a cop car.   

I could have made the back seat area even grubbier. While the 1955 CHP didn't usually transport prisoners in the back seat, they sometimes carried DUI arrests to the local lock-up.  But a Technicolor Yawn might have been a little TOO much realism...

IMG_0017.JPG

Edited by Mike999
error