Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for those who work in the 1:1 auto world

For those who don't know I lost my father on 9/9 and with that happening I have ended up with a 1942 ford 9n tractor that mom wants to restore (That means me). It needs some body work and a couple of the dents look like it "stretched" the sheet metal, and I don't want to use extreme amounts of filler, so I'm looking for suggestions. The tractor does run but needs some work to the engine as well does anybody know a resource for that kind of stuff and I need to find a manual but I don't want to unnecessarily pay the price my local napa charges (real small town)

Thanks

Rich

Here's the easy part. Ebay has a 9N shop manual reprint for about $11 plus about $4 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tractor-2N-8N-9N-Shop-Manual-I-T-Shop-Service-coil-binding-/263193789609?epid=2254445582&hash=item3d479284a9:g:TwwAAOSwyQtVj6qQ

Ebay is also a great source for parts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xford+9n+tractor+parts.TRS0&_nkw=ford+9n+tractor+parts&_sacat=0

Now for the sheet metal. "Stretching" is usually identified by "oil-canning" after the dent is hammered out, though it's sometimes pretty obvious, as I assume it is in your case, when a panel has been struck with something like the round end of a a ball-pein hammer, or a bullet.

After repairing the dent as much as possible with a hammer and dolly, sheet-metal can be shrunk in several ways. The one I favor most uses heat from an oxy-acetylene torch.

This video will get you going in the right direction.      

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Fortunately, the N series Ford tractors are very easy to get parts for. Most parts are even still available from the dealers, which in this case would be any Case-IH-New Holland dealer (they bought out Ford/New Holland a few years ago).  Farm supply stores, like Tractor Supply, are another good source for parts.

On my 9N I have had good luck with http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/ also http://www.9nford.com/ for help and info as well as the N-Newsletter as mentioned along with New Holland for mechanical parts.....I have been off and on restoring mine as well ....not saying I have all the know how or answers but I would be happy to help out in anyway that I can.

I really appreciate the help everyone, I'll look up more of the links for parts and guidance.

I will have to watch the video a few more times Bill but that is the kind of thing I was thinking of.

I will also check out the forums about the n-series tractors and I need to find the newsletter that was brought up.

THANKS AGAIN

RICH

• 3 months later...

Thanks again for all the good info, we are working on getting things ready to truly get started on this, weather is playing nice so time for the work to start. 

I'm going to have to add a few tools to the collection, one of which will be a gun to spray it with, so here comes the questions. 

What would be a decent paint gun, I will only use it a few times so, no need for high end equipment, just need it to do a good job a few times. I'm even open to something from a pawn shop or harbor freight if I know what will do the job.

I've done some body work in the past but I'm NO WHERE NEAR A PROFESSIONAL, so the next question would be what's a good filler all I've used before has been Bondo.

Thanks again

Rich

Edited by cowboy rich
Stinking auto correct