Model Cars Magazine Forum

gas station tv

bobthehobbyguy

Bored indeed. I refuse to patronize any gas stations that have TV ads screaming at me from the pump. I really don't understand how these marketing clowns think some hysterical fool yelling over blang blanging music is going to make anyone buy anything, but apparently it works on the easily manipulated minds out there.

I agree that they found another way to bombard us with flashy and loud ads. No peace, even when pumping gas!  Whatever happened to the full-service stations where the attendant not only filled your tank but also cleaned the windshield and checked the fluids while you were there?  What has happened  to this country?! :D

Funny, I was just talking to my mother about this Gas Station TV thing. She said that she hits some buttons on the side of the screen and that turns it off. I'll have to try that next time.

The station I go to has a "mute" button...first thing I do when the screen lights up is to hit that.  With the new car, I'll be filling up every other week instead of every week now anyway.

Still...really, they can't leave us alone even for that couple of minutes?  What's next, Urinal TV?

What's next, Urinal TV?

Actually, a lot of restaurants here have screens at the urinals. Sometimes they play ads, but most of the time, they'll be on an Oilers game. Or some other hockey game. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Better than staring at the wall.

Haven't seen a gas pump tv though. I'm pretty good at tuning stuff out/daydreaming though, so I can't see how this would bother me. 

Yes, you can tune it out (I've gotten good at that), but it's the idea.  Someone had the idea to put little TV sets into gas pumps to blast people with more advertising.  That person was in the position to take the idea into a meeting and get someone's ear with it.  And that person leaned forward in his/her chair, and said: "Tell me more..."

From a business standpoint, it is perfect marketing. You have a very captive audience for several minutes.

The Shell station I go to has it, but I must be able to completely block it out. I have no idea what they are trying to sell me.

I rarely drive my personal vehicle, so I only fill up 4 or 5 times a year. Use fleet fueling station for my company truck.

Pumps there barely work, so no chance they will try to put TVs in them.

Yes, you can tune it out (I've gotten good at that), but it's the idea.  Someone had the idea to put little TV sets into gas pumps to blast people with more advertising.  That person was in the position to take the idea into a meeting and get someone's ear with it.  And that person leaned forward in his/her chair, and said: "Tell me more..."

What I would like to see is factual numbers showing how much of the constant barrage of noisy, stupid, intrusive advertising we're bombarded with daily actually results in sales.

The advertising industry is like much of human endeavor, existing more to increase its revenues and insure its own survival than it is about anything else. Quality and actual utility of product as prime motivating factors? Nah.

In the beginning of broadcast television, ads were seen as a necessary evil to offset the cost of production and distribution of programming. There was a lot of pretty high quality drama, and newscasters like Walter Cronkite had functioning brains.

Now, the tables are entirely turned, and programming seems to exist primarily as a means to attract advertising revenue...hence the lowest-common-denominator dumbing-down of programming in order to appeal to the widest audience.

Advertising I personally consider to be stupid and intrusive will turn me OFF of ever buying a product.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

What I would like to see is factual numbers showing how much of the constant barrage of noisy, stupid, intrusive advertising we're bombarded with daily actually results in sales.

The advertising industry is like much of human endeavor, existing more to increase its revenues and insure its own survival than it is about anything else. Quality and actual utility of product as prime motivating factors? Nah.

In the beginning of broadcast television, ads were seen as a necessary evil to offset the cost of production and distribution of programming. There was a lot of pretty high quality drama, and newscasters like Walter Cronkite had functioning brains.

Now, the tables are entirely turned, and programming seems to exist primarily as a means to attract advertising revenue...hence the lowest-common-denominator dumbing-down of programming in order to appeal to the widest audience.

Advertising I personally consider to be stupid and intrusive will turn me OFF of ever buying a product.

Actually, MAD Magazine was way ahead of the curve on advertising; specifically, that putting advertising into a magazine pretty much carried its own weight but didn't cut costs much.  So, early on, they phased out the ads.  I haven't seen a copy of MAD in a while, haven't read one in years, but I understand that they've brought advertising back.  I remember seeing FORBES Magazine ads (ads promoting the magazine itself) actually bragging about how many ad pages they carried in each issue. 

The car magazines in particular are driven by the advertisers.  Street Rodder and Rod & Custom became notorious for their articles on how to install so-and-so's new steering column, electronic fuel injection, crate engine, or whatever.  Hot Rod Mechanix couldn't sell enough advertising because they championed using regular car parts, as in, parts off of a car as opposed to the newly manufactured stuff.  Rodder's Journal now carries some advertising, but they don't do how-to articles so it isn't a big deal.  And then there's Motor Trend, which used to (maybe still does) promote the latest thing GM sends down the pike... 

Actually, a lot of restaurants here have screens at the urinals. Sometimes they play ads, but most of the time, they'll be on an Oilers game. Or some other hockey game. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Better than staring at the wall.

Haven't seen a gas pump tv though. I'm pretty good at tuning stuff out/daydreaming though, so I can't see how this would bother me. 

TV in the that toilets, fast food joints, break room at work, gas pumps... seems like there's a dang screen everywhere anymore. I hate it.

Jay Leno used t have a skit he would do on his show using the gas station across from his studio. They had a comedian on the pump TV talking to the people pumping gas. He would get them to start talking to him and it usually turned out pretty funny.