Model Cars Magazine Forum

1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Lungo Berlinetta Touring

Plastheniker

Hi,

today kit manufacturers treat modelers with a particular interest in 1/24 and 1/25 European pre-war cars as an orphan. ICM's Opel Admiral is the only corresponding new release of the last years that I remember. Admittedly this is a very nice kit, but I doubt that modelers missed just an Opel kit most.

Finally there is no other choice than adhering to the well-known and often obsolete kits from the sixties, seventies and eighties - unless you are lucky to find an inexpensive diecast that can be converted into a model that meets the standards of today's kit modeling.

One of those numberless iconic European pre-war cars that have never been (and most probably will never be) kitted is Alfa Romeo's 8C 2900. Alfa Romeo made only the chassis with drivetrain and running gear derived from their 1935 8C 35 Grand Prix (!) racer, and Italy's most renowned coachbuilders, mostly Touring, supplied various ravishing bodies for it.

Some years ago I found an inexpensive diecast replicating an 8C 2900B with Berlinetta coachwork by Touring. There are several very similar surviving 1:1 Touring cars, the best-known is displayed at the Museo Storico Alfa Romeo. This diecast was made by Leo Models of Italy and seems to be OOP by this time. Considering its low price (appr. € 20.00 ≈ $ 24.00) it offered a pretty good value for money, much better f. e. than the poor Bburago models:

1937 Bugatti Atlantic 57 S - Mother of all Sports Cars?

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80287

Most important all proportions were perfect and after stripping the paintwork the casting quality was not bad. Moreover as far as plastic was used all plastic parts were workable (probably ABS, opposite to the strange tough Bburago plastic).

Nevertheless there was a lot of work to do. I still remember some of the major issues:

• As most inexpensive diecast models this one featured opening bonnet, doors and bootlid with visible huge cast hinges, varying gaps and unsatisfactory fit. Maybe the model's rather unattractive black paintwork was intended to make these shortcomings less conspicuous

• The interior, particularly the dashboard, was extremely simplified

• All glass parts if at all provided were unusable

• The cast frames around the lateral windows were completely out of scale

• The plastic wire wheels were extremely crude

• Conspicuously there were only incomplete or even (I am not sure) no wheel wells at all

• The characteristic ventilation slots around the radiator grille were missing

The 1:1 Berlinetta Touring coachwork (this one is the museum car) looks like this:

2v2u4B8FqxAqZLN.jpg
2v2u4B8qnxAqZLN.jpg

The reworked model is still one of my favourite car models:

2v2up2EV5xAqZLN.jpg
2v2up2Eg8xAqZLN.jpg
2v2up2EqyxAqZLN.jpg
2v2up2EyrxAqZLN.jpg
2v2up2ErMxAqZLN.jpg
2v2up2Ez5xAqZLN.jpg
2v2up2HoNxAqZLN.jpg
2v2up2Hv8xAqZLN.jpg

• Like 4

You did a great job with what you had to start with. Awesome craftsmanship. 

The car itself is not what I would spend cash buying. The cars that make my heart to beat faster all have the blue oval, but for sure I can admire your hard work on this. Before it looked like a toy, now, it will put to shame a Dambury Mint.

Thanks for the comments!

Just amazing, well done.  What scale is this?  The dashboard detail is incredible.

For decades I adhere to the same scales actually without any exceptions, i. e.

road cars and trucks 1/24 & 1/25

racing cars 1/20 (very few 1/24),

so this one is also 1/24 scale.

Impressive.  The Leo Models offered some really great Alfa Romeo subjects in subscription series.  While I agree with you the older BBuragos left a lot to be desired the newer releases have improved significantly and they are starting to release the Le Grandi Ferrari Collection under their own labels.