Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Plymouth 383 Road Runner Is Completed

mrmike

About twenty years ago, I built a '68 383 Road Runner and the other day I was looking at it sitting on the shelf and I said to myself, "That looks like it should be re-built."  The following day, I was rummaging through a carton of stuff and found a '69 GTX body and I wondered, "I wonder if I can make this into a Road Runner?"  Out came my sanding stick and files and I removed the side moldings and the GTX scripts.  My original intent was to re-build the 383 I had cobbled together from my parts box, but decided to find a better engine.  This one came from a long parted out AMT '71 Charger R/T.  A couple of days staring at the "new" engine and I started to hate them both.  So, back into the parts box again and I found an un-built 440 CI engine from a '70 Hemi Super Bee.  I built it last night and painted it this morning with Mopar Street Hemi Orange engine paint.  In my mind, I could envision a Rallye Green Road Runner and an online search found me an image of a Rallye Green '69 Road Runner with a Coyote Duster air induction hood and the Performance Hood Treatment.  I ordered a '69 Road Runner grille from Hart's Resin Parts and i hope to have that in a few weeks.  

DSCN4653.JPG

DSCN4678.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0007.JPG

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCN4754.JPG

DSCN4756.JPG

DSCN0009.JPG

4f9279190d7105a54d70f737e6cf5860.jpg

Edited by mrmike

I sat down at the bench this morning with an idea that I had used on my '68 Hemi Road Runner from several years ago.  I had an issue with the thin scribe line on the hood and the hot MCW lacquer paint I had used burnt through the hood and showed a nasty burn mark on the top of the hood.  I am not using MCW paint on this hood, but I am using Tamiya TS-20 Metallic Green paint which is not as hot a paint.  But, the scribe mark is still there and I would like to eliminate that line as much as possible.  Using some sheet styrene, I cut a small and thin piece and filled the line with glue and layed the styrene into the groove.  When the glue has dried, I will trim the styrene level with the hood and the groove will be filled.  Since I am using the air grabber duct, I needed to find a air cleaner to match.  I can't remember where this air cleaner came from and it really doesn't fit the duct, but it is better than nothing.

More to come...

DSCN0034.JPG

DSCN0035.JPG

DSCN0036.JPG

Arrgh!!!  I hate it when I mess up like this and I can't correct it!  After staring at the engine, something didn't seem right and now I know what it is.  I put the valve covers on the wrong sides of the engine and they are GLUED ON!!!  I should have known better, but no!!!  Well, I guess I'll have to live with it!  Arrgh!!!

DSCN0008.JPG

1969_plymouth_roadrunner_383_air_grabberFantastic work as usual , Mike !  I hope that you and yours are well  :D .

The rocker arm covers ... that stinks , man . Any chance that you and carefully free them from the heads ? If I remember correctly , the oil filler doubled as the breather on 1969 & earlier 383 and 440 engines ; the Air Grabber may have changed that arrangement , too .

Great idea regarding the trough-fill on that scribe on the bonnet's underside . 

Keep on keepin' on , sir !

Edited by 1972coronet
Added Image

John, that picture is different from all the others I have seen and it shows the breather on the left (driver's) side of the engine.  Maybe they are different with the air grabber.

John, we here are doing ok.  I hope you are doing well.

Edited by mrmike

I've read that putting in freezer can break glue joints.  Might be worth a shot.  OR..... find a place you can get an xacto blade under hte edge and pry them off?  Or leave it - not a lot of folks will know the difference if you can live with it...

John, that picture is different from all the others I have seen and it shows the breather on the left (driver's) side of the engine.  Maybe they are different with the air grabber.

John, we here are doing ok.  I hope you are doing well.

I'm pleased that you and yours are well , sir B) .

The only other variation I've seen in-so-far-as valve cover design is the 1970 & later engines . As a concession to then-new hydrocarbon emissions standards (e.g. , "sealed" fuel system ; '69 & earlier cars' raw gas vapours were vented to the atmosphere) , the breather was moved to the passenger-side .

But , that's all moot .

"Road Runner , Road Runner / goin' faster miles an hour ..."

I think I agree with the others your the only on that will really know the Valve Covers are reversed. I'm not a MoPar fanatic and I may be wrong but looking at the picture of the 1:1 car's engine the relief in the Valve Cover may be there to help clear the Exhaust Manifold or something else. Something on the order of the Chevrolet Big Blocks that had their Valve Covers notched to clear the brake boaster. I would give this a good test fit just to be sure. If it is an issue you'll be even madder at your self at that point or do what ever modifications you need to do for everything to fit.  The '69 Road Runner was and is a great car whether in plastic or steel.  

Dave, I have decided to let the valve covers stay where they are.  I can't bring myself to try and remove them cause I'll destroy the engine.  I'm not mad, but it erks me that i wasn't more careful.  I have now seen pictures of a '69 383 (440) with the valve covers on either side, so I guess I'm safe in that regard.  I just need to get moving and git-r-dun!

I got the Road Runner body painted this morning.  While the paintbooth was up and running, I got the interior side panels, dash, and steering wheel painted as well.  I'll paint the seats shortly when the headrests are securely glued on.

More to come...

DSCN0037.JPG

DSCN0038.JPG

DSCN0039.JPG

I got the chassis together, but I may put in a tach for a little more visual interest.  Wiring the engine is in progress and I need to find some more wire insulation to make plug boots with.  I'm also in the process of plumbing the chassis.

More to come...

DSCN0045.JPG

DSCN0047.JPG

DSCN0048.JPG