Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy 350?

This comes up often, and because all the Chebby "small-block" engines are very similar externally (with the exception of manifolding and accessories) virtually any Chevy engine in the family (265-283-302-327-350 and some others) can represent just about any other in scale.

One of my favorite engines in 1/25 is the beautiful old Revell kit, available still quite cheap. You may have to change manifolding and accessories for your particular installation, so it's good to know the era your build will represent, and the power output. This kit comes with the option of two 4-barrels, or a front-driven "Potvin" blower setup.

Image result for revell chevy engine parts pack

This comes up often, and because all the Chebby "small-block" engines are very similar externally (with the exception of manifolding and accessories) virtually any Chevy engine in the family (265-283-302-327-350 and some others) can represent just about any other in scale.

One of my favorite engines in 1/25 is the beautiful old Revell kit, available still quite cheap. You may have to change manifolding and accessories for your particular installation, so it's good to know the era your build will represent, and the power output. This kit comes with the option of two 4-barrels, or a front-driven "Potvin" blower setup.

Image result for revell chevy engine parts pack

Hi,

Wow that is indeed a beauty!

Jeremy... You could also check out TDR and whats available from them that is 3D printed. Here is their link:

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrhtmllearn/home/engine-shop/chevy-engine-selection

Here is their Store on Shapeways, you will have to navigate thru all the pages here:

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=TDR+Innovations&type=

Edited by Mooneyzs

Jeremy... You could also check out TDR and whats available from them that is 3D printed. Here is their link:

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrhtmllearn/home/engine-shop/chevy-engine-selection

Here is their Store on Shapeways, you will have to navigate thru all the pages here:

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=TDR+Innovations&type=

Hi,

I noticed 3D printed stuff on Shapeways is very expensive.

Indycals for example had resin tires for $18 but on there Shapeways store they run $47.

Although I just noticed the indycals.com domain is for sale.

All in all one is better off piliging a kit or parts pack then shop on Shapeways.

Do you have some particular 350 year or application in mind? If so, perhaps we can be more specific.

Generically, when I think of nice small block Chevies, my first thoughts are of the Revell '69 Z/28 and the AMT '70-'72 Corvettes. The one in the AMT '66 Nova isn't half bad, either.

Wow thanks guys... I tried looking thru the archives here but could really find what I think I was looking for. Generally looking for around 73 era... But it doesn't really have to be year specific cuz I really want a couple for a few different builds. I am however interested in a stockish engine. Not blown.. regular old carb'd with a breather.

Didn't even think of the 69 Nova... It's such a nice kit I hate to rob it though lol.

Hi,

I noticed 3D printed stuff on Shapeways is very expensive.

Indycals for example had resin tires for $18 but on there Shapeways store they run $47.

Although I just noticed the indycals.com domain is for sale.

All in all one is better off piliging a kit or parts pack then shop on Shapeways.

Aruf...Hello... I will first say that using 3D printed parts are not for everyone and the original post was asking where they could find a 350. I was just showing another alternative besides Kits and Resin parts. Yes the cost is a little more but you have to consider the Material cost, Labor of the print service, Some cost for the volume of the print machine (depending on the material being printed). I have never heard of indycals before and yes resin tires would cost much cheaper than having them 3D printed.

I know you are saying it's better off piliging a kit part or parts pack but but I would say To each their own. I personally don't have an issue with using 3D printed parts and yes there is sometimes a little more work in having to prep them for paint because Nothing will compare to the finish that you get from injection molded kits. I Actually draw up all my own parts and have them printed thru Shapeways printing service.  My issue is that I am building some specific cars and no one has the correct parts that I need to make these replicas, plus with me drawing the parts up I know that things will be as accurate as I can draw them. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea and that is ok that we are all different. I just think that is nice that we have a lot of aftermarket companies.... Resin, Photo-Etch, 3D Printed parts, Turned Aluminum...etc To chose from if we want to add additional detail to a kit. Most important thing is that we all enjoy and have fun with our hobby

Aruf...Hello... I will first say that using 3D printed parts are not for everyone and the original post was asking where they could find a 350. I was just showing another alternative besides Kits and Resin parts. Yes the cost is a little more but you have to consider the Material cost, Labor of the print service, Some cost for the volume of the print machine (depending on the material being printed). I have never heard of indycals before and yes resin tires would cost much cheaper than having them 3D printed.

I know you are saying it's better off piliging a kit part or parts pack but but I would say To each their own. I personally don't have an issue with using 3D printed parts and yes there is sometimes a little more work in having to prep them for paint because Nothing will compare to the finish that you get from injection molded kits. I Actually draw up all my own parts and have them printed thru Shapeways printing service.  My issue is that I am building some specific cars and no one has the correct parts that I need to make these replicas, plus with me drawing the parts up I know that things will be as accurate as I can draw them. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea and that is ok that we are all different. I just think that is nice that we have a lot of aftermarket companies.... Resin, Photo-Etch, 3D Printed parts, Turned Aluminum...etc To chose from if we want to add additional detail to a kit. Most important thing is that we all enjoy and have fun with our hobby

Hi,

Agreed, if you are doing things no one has products of then 3D printing or casting is really your only alternative.

By no means was I trying to argue.  However I was a little miffed at IndyCals price from resin to 3D printed.  They did mention that there cast parts were from Lance Sellers who God rest his soul is no longer with us.  But it's double from cast to printed.

In the case of an every day Chebby engine, 3D printing makes little sense.  But in the way of custom parts like what you do, then it's the only alternative unless you can cast.

Using the Indycals stone tires for $47 as an example, well that's the price of a superb styrene kit and the stone tires are by no means something special or a must have.

And most importantly, no disrespect intended towards you.  We are all builders and get our parts from where and whom ever we can.

Edited by aurfalien

Wow thanks guys... I tried looking thru the archives here but could really find what I think I was looking for. Generally looking for around 73 era... But it doesn't really have to be year specific cuz I really want a couple for a few different builds. I am however interested in a stockish engine. Not blown.. regular old carb'd with a breather.

Didn't even think of the 69 Nova... It's such a nice kit I hate to rob it though lol.

Ebay can be a great resource when you're looking for parts too. Though there some sellers who ask as much for one part as you can buy the entire kit for, there are others who sell parts reasonably. Here's a Revell '69 Z 28 engine. Bidding now is at $4.73, plus $3.43 shipping. There are many other even better deals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-1-25-1969-CHEVY-CAMARO-Z-28-RS-ENGINE-AND-RELATED-PARTS-/302481512083?hash=item466d4d9693:g:NikAAOSwT6JZ2UHU

s-l1600.jpg

Hi,

Agreed, if you are doing things no one has products of then 3D printing or casting is really your only alternative.

By no means was I trying to argue.  However I was a little miffed at IndyCals price from resin to 3D printed.  They did mention that there cast parts were from Lance Sellers who God rest his soul is no longer with us.  But it's double from cast to printed.

In the case of an every day Chebby engine, 3D printing makes little sense.  But in the way of custom parts like what you do, then it's the only alternative unless you can cast.

Using the Indycals stone tires for $47 as an example, well that's the price of a superb styrene kit and the stone tires are by no means something special or a must have.

And most importantly, no disrespect intended towards you.  We are all builders and get our parts from where and whom ever we can.

hi... I wasn't trying to argue either.  I didn't think that you were disrespecting me. I know you were voicing your opinion and I didn't take it personal. I know where you are coming from on the price of kits and parts these days and one has to know how much they are willing to spend on a given build. I know too well that it can add up quick. I am sure all if us modelers try to save any sort of money where we can.

Late '70s/early '80s MPC annuals had some of the best small block Chevy engines. Look in thier Chevy pickups, Elcaminos and Monte Carlos. Lost of seprate parts like the fuel pumps, water pumps and timing chain covers. Usually they even are 2bbl carb engines with auto trannys for you base model builders.

img562

img564