Model Cars Magazine Forum

3d Printed "Stiletto"

mnagatani

This is another body that is currently being processed at Shapeways.  This showrod was never available as a model like the "Roach Coach".  This is scheduled to arrive on the 19th and will post up pics.  Images are rendered images of the model.

stiletto_005.jpg

stiletto_002.jpg

stiletto_003.jpg

stiletto_001.jpg

Edited by mnagatani

The Stiletto Show rod arrived in the mail today from Shapeways!  So excited to show these off to you guys.  The model will be available to be seen at the Nov. 5th "Spirit of Speed" show at the 3d scale parts table.  This is the only one every made and will continue to make one off bodies.  Enjoy!  Suggestions welcome.

IMG_3382.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

IMG_3375.JPG

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3389.JPG

The material we use for the smaller 1:25-1:18 kits go under the  "White Strong & Flexible Polish" which has a very fine grain texture.  I have worked with this material which does sand and with some basic painting "prep" skills can get you the surface needed for a correct paint job.  1:8-1:12 kits have to go under the "White Strong & Flexible" material due to the size restrictions.

I would love to have have the print material come out as smooth as production kits.  We just are not there ----Yet! The surface quality has come a long ways so we just have to wait and work with what we have now.

I'll DM you regarding your other questions.

Thanks

Mike

Just a comment. Your panel lines look to be very shallow. You may want to increase those a bit so they don't get buried in the primer/smoothing stage of finishing the 3D printed model. It does look pretty good though. I imagine the price point between the white, strong and flexible and the Frosted Ultra Fine Detail is pretty big.

Mark

Just a comment. Your panel lines look to be very shallow. You may want to increase those a bit so they don't get buried in the primer/smoothing stage of finishing the 3D printed model. It does look pretty good though. I imagine the price point between the white, strong and flexible and the Frosted Ultra Fine Detail is pretty big.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Feedback is important as this was the first one printed.  We will take the initial "test" run and determine whats too shallow or not enough.  We are still learning and this is why the forums help to get responses like yours.  Regarding the price point...add another 100.00 to the already expensive WSF.  So we are considering making resin versions depending on the demand.  As this was a never made model like the Roach Coach we will get a gauge if others want it....at what cost.  A resin version will much more affordable.  For now we see what the demand is.  

Good plan. My direction would be to resin cast it now. Use the resin piece to "finish" your panel lines and add additional detail. Then re-cast as the finished master. Much less cost and dinking around with buying & finishing another printed piece.

How complete is the kit going to be? You will find most guys buying this will want to be able to just put it together with zero scratch building. Same issue with the Roach Coach. If it's not a complete kit you will have a few buyers where as a complete model will attract many more.

Mark

Mark

The resin direction is the most cost effective for the consumer.  I get that and we are working on getting those costs worked out.  The margins would be slim on some of these body's if we stick to print only.   The inception of bringing to market a body presents a huge challenge for a non scratch builder or one that would be challenged to finish it via kit donor.   It was never my intention to 3D print a whole kit, but to allow a builder to use his imagination and skill set to finish off the model.  To determine that line of creating the essential parts and not doing everything is what is left to be determined.   This is where feedback comes in.  Right?   Its really early on for my brother and I to really get a grasp on whats going to happen and I'm so looking forward to creating products that otherwise we just wouldn't see otherwise.  If its been made I'm not making it is my thinking.  

I may start a "If I could only have....."  thread.  Its all possible now!  Which is why I'm super excited about this venture.  I'm not sold yet on the tech as the surface issues need to get better, but we are dealing with what we have.  The model community is talented enough to work around that issue and its going to get better.  

Thanks for the feedback either way.

I have a bit of experience being an aftermarket supplier. I ran Machined Aluminum Specialties for 15 years before having to get out of it. One thing you will find very quickly is most model builders are very fickle (and cheap)... :) You guys let me know if I'm lying...

A "what if" thread is a waste of time for what you want to do unless you can constrain the "what if's" to a narrow subject band. Develop a list of subjects and don't allow deviation from that list. Make it a poll, pick one or two off this list, kind of thing. If you don't control the input you will get requests for everything from a dome light for a '52 Rambler to window slats for a '69 Mustang. One person may buy one of each but, if it costs more then a dollar, it'll be too spendy. See where I'm going with this? Voice of experience here... 100 guys will holler "I'll buy 10 of those if you make them!" You make them and 10 guys MAY buy 1... That's just the way it is.

And it's the same issue with the bodies you are doing. 3D printed pieces are too expensive for the casual modeler to consider. Resin casting brings the piece cost down but you still have to have a market to justify the upfront cost and time. It's a very niche market for the custom stuff anyway and, if there is a ton of scratch building to do the niche gets even smaller.

And I am in no way trying to discourage you here. You just need to realize what you are getting into in this model car aftermarket "hobby". Keep up the good work, your models, both 3D and printed, look great.

Mark

This is very cool to see!

I would definitely suggest making any future models in such a fashion that they can be printed in nested pieces to keep printing area/costs down (similar to the bodies offered by some other vendors like TDR)...and considering how the parts might need to be designed for resin casting.

I have been selling a few small bits and pieces on Shapeways recently, but I have not tackled making a body yet--mostly for the reasons Mark has described.

• 2 years later...