Model Cars Magazine Forum

49/50 AMT Ford

Jon Haigwood

20171015_092711.thumb.jpg.502a043bfe7b5bMy plan is to do something similar to the Gibbons Kopperhead 50 but not try to just duplicate it. I am thinking about taking the Deville roof from the convert kit and using it as the back half of the 50 roof. Not sure if I will need to lengthen the doors. 22045964_1484531844918110_73735860827264 

Edited by Jon Haigwood

With one exception I believe that almost everything will interchange between the kits. The only minor problem will come about switching frames and interiors. The '49 coupe has a shorter floor board because of the body style and the frame portion of the floor boards are longer so that they match up. If you go to the '50 Convertible the interiors floor boards are longer  and the frames portion are shorter. The interiors are different lengths but the seats and dashes all inter change. Not a big deal and easily changed as needed.  

My plan is to do something similar to the Gibbons Kopperhead 50 but not try to just duplicate it. I am thinking about taking the Deville roof from the convert kit and using it as the back half of the 50 roof. Not sure if I will need to lengthen the doors. 22045964_1484531844918110_73735860827264 

I like the looks of that ☝️!

I wish I could find more pictures and information on it 

I had a magazine with an article on it, but it's buried the the storage area I have models stashed in, but everything is buried behind stuff that belong to my Dad and Sister to the point I can barely get in the locker........amazing looking car and I'm kinda surprised there isn't a resin body for this.

The '49 coupe kit has the nicer chassis, with separate dual exhaust systems, as opposed to a molded-in single exhaust system on the '50 convertible. When I'm inclined to go full detail I tend to start with the '49 kit chassis whether it's a coupe or convertible, but this generates a surplus of '50 chassis which I tend to use up when the external appearance is mainly what counts. The earliest releases of the '50 convertible come with an amazing number of customizing options and it's been a source of frustration that recent Round 2 re-issues haven't revived them all. For doing the Copperhead the '49 Coupe should do just fine, along with the '50 convertible kit stock grill which fits with no modification.

This HRM Kopperhed article seems to have some detail to it, although you've probably found it already. From pictures #6 & #7 it looks like they lengthened the doors.:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/42141-1950-ford-five-window-coupe/

Edited by Bernard Kron

20171016_085855.thumb.jpg.5655340e130e56I was somewhat surprised at differance in the chassis between the two. The 50 has the cross frame and the 49 doesn't. I would like to find some photos or drawings of the underside of both cars in 1:1 scale. I once owned a 49 and a 51 and probably spent a lot of time underneath them but that was 50 years ago and I can't remember how they looked. Definitely like the 49 better. 

Edited by Jon Haigwood

The '49 coupe kit has the nicer chassis, with separate dual exhaust systems, as opposed to a molded-in single exhaust system on the '50 convertible. When I'm inclined to go full detail I tend to start with the '49 kit chassis whether it's a coupe or convertible, but this generates a surplus of '50 chassis which I tend to use up when the external appearance is mainly what counts. The earliest releases of the '50 convertible come with an amazing number of customizing options and it's been a source of frustration that recent Round 2 re-issues haven't revived them all. For doing the Copperhead the '49 Coupe should do just fine, along with the '50 convertible kit stock grill which fits with no modification.

This HRM Kopperhed article seems to have some detail to it, although you've probably found it already. From pictures #6 & #7 it looks like they lengthened the doors.:

Thanks for the link. There is a lot of good info and pictures there

Here's my version of each.  And yes, the black one is supposed to look like Billy Gibbons' Copperhead.  Not sure where the engines came from - may not be kit pieces.  They are about what you should expect from the original date of manufacture.   And I think I did something like mentioned above on the black car.    

DSCF1360.jpg

DSCF1130.jpg

DSCF1131.jpg

DSCF1135.jpg

DSCF1354.jpg

DSCF1356.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

Here's my version of each.  And yes, the black one is supposed to look like Billy Gibbons' Copperhead.  Not sure where the engines came from - may not be kit pieces.  They are about what you should expect from the original date of manufacture.   And I think I did something like mentioned above on the black car.    

DSCF1360.jpg

DSCF1130.jpg

DSCF1131.jpg

DSCF1135.jpg

DSCF1354.jpg

DSCF1356.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

Those look nice

I've built the coupe and really enjoyed the kit. My only beef with it is the difficulty in getting it low in the rear. I used lowering blocks and "low-enuff" was the axle resting on the frame rails. A did a slight c-notch to make it a little more realistic, but it still has a forward rake.

I doubt you will ever see the missing parts again (Skirts, fins, Vicky roof, etc). The Showboat issue replaced those parts with a straight axle and plastic drag slicks. The Carson top is still in the kit but is modified into a 'landau' half roof. The good news is there are plenty of inexpensive basket case originals on eBay.

Edited by Dave Darby