Model Cars Magazine Forum

49/50 AMT Ford

Jon Haigwood

20171016_085855.thumb.jpg.5655340e130e56I was somewhat surprised at differance in the chassis between the two. The 50 has the cross frame and the 49 doesn't. I would like to find some photos or drawings of the underside of both cars in 1:1 scale. I once owned a 49 and a 51 and probably spent a lot of time underneath them but that was 50 years ago and I can't remember how they looked. Definitely like the 49 better. 

It was common to use cross frames on convertibles because a lack of roof meant less rigidity. Hence, beef up the frame.

Here is my take on the 50 convertible that I built some ten years ago.

DSC04172.jpg

DSC04173.jpgDSC04174.jpg

I also started a 49 Coupe some years ago that I have not yet finished:

P1090143.jpg

DSC04195.jpg

The 49 is an old gluebomb from the Tournament of Thrills edition that I bought on Ebay. The 50 is the issue that came out about 2005/6 or something like that.

20171015_092711.thumb.jpg.502a043bfe7b5bMy plan is to do something similar to the Gibbons Kopperhead 50 but not try to just duplicate it. I am thinking about taking the Deville roof from the convert kit and using it as the back half of the 50 roof. Not sure if I will need to lengthen the doors. 22045964_1484531844918110_73735860827264 

Typical 2dr coupes and 2dr sedans of that era used the same, longer-length doors (to facilitate entry/egress for rear seat passengers.  IF AMT Corporation did their homework on these two (and I would bet that they did), the door lengths should be the same (or VERY close).

Art

Typical 2dr coupes and 2dr sedans of that era used the same, longer-length doors (to facilitate entry/egress for rear seat passengers.  IF AMT Corporation did their homework on these two (and I would bet that they did), the door lengths should be the same (or VERY close).

Art

I seem to remember that they lengthened the doors on Billy Gibbons' Copperhead coupe. They look longer.

I seem to remember that they lengthened the doors on Billy Gibbons' Copperhead coupe. They look longer.

You are absolutely correct. Pete Chapouris built the car, and THE DOORS ARE LENGTHENED 10 INCHES. You can take that to the bank.  B)

The top is also chopped 3 inches.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The one in my pictures is using the kit-supplied roof piece.  I don't remember doing anything special to the doors.   But that roof section was used.  It's been several years ago.  Memories fail me at this point.  

Was that the Deville roof like the one I have in my photo ? I will probably use that on the 49 Coupe.