Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack R-model Engine Tanker 27(update 4/7/18)

With the rerelease of the R-Model Mack, I've decided to replicate the Engine Tanker of our fire co.  Starting of course with the Mack R685st.. Will scratchbuild rear body. Not sure what i'm doing with the tank yet!  The frame is stretched by 2 inches and have the suspension done.. Long way to go!!!

full.jpg

IMG_20171015_085559861_HDR.jpg

Edited by towman1271

Is the tank elliptical?  If so I have seen a  solution for it.  Take a piece of thin wall pvc pipe slightly smaller than the largest width.  Inside it insert a piece of wood that is slightly larger than the diameter of the pipe.  This will push the round shape into an oval.  Secure the ends with some sheet stock and you have an elliptical tank.  All the other stuff is essentially window dressing.  Another option is to modify the tank that is in the Monogram AC Mack kit.  The tank is old fashioned but it can be modified with a bit of TLC and some scratch building.

Is the tank elliptical?  If so I have seen a  solution for it.  Take a piece of thin wall pvc pipe slightly smaller than the largest width.  Inside it insert a piece of wood that is slightly larger than the diameter of the pipe.  This will push the round shape into an oval.  Secure the ends with some sheet stock and you have an elliptical tank.  All the other stuff is essentially window dressing.  Another option is to modify the tank that is in the Monogram AC Mack kit.  The tank is old fashioned but it can be modified with a bit of TLC and some scratch building.

It is elliptical.. Had thought of the monogram mack, but like the pvc idea.. Thanks Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The cab is pretty finished.. Just have mirrors & bumper poles to do, but they will be last ( so they don't get knocked off). Waiting for Joe at Dicast & Decals to finish his vacation to make decals for it.. Now to start scratchbuilding the bed.:blink:

IMG_20171112_141043730_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_141055711.jpg

Edited by towman1271

Hi Dave,

Excellent start!  Another option for the elliptical tank is a 1/32 scale New Ray tank.  They make several elliptical tankers that work well in 1/25 scale.   Because they are narrower than say the expensive OOP Revell Beall tanker, they can accommodate the addition of portable tank holders, compartments, ladders, hard suction, etc.  Unfortunately, with the recent Photobucket issues, I can't post photos of how well they work. This is an early photo of a WIP that has come a long way.   Look forward to following along!

20140422_221318-picsay.thumb.jpg.608a51f

David

20170917_135444-picsay.jpg

Edited by hooknladderno1

The cab is pretty finished.. Just have mirrors & bumper poles to do, but they will be last ( so they don't get knocked off). Waiting for Joe at Dicast & Decals to finish his vacation to make decals for it.. Now to start scratchbuilding the bed.:blink:

IMG_20171112_141043730_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_141055711.jpg

Now that's slick.

Edited by NothingAsFineAsaW9

Hi Dave,

Excellent start!  Another option for the elliptical tank is a 1/32 scale New Ray tank.  They make several elliptical tankers that work well in 1/25 scale.   Because they are narrower than say the expensive OOP Revell Beall tanker, they can accommodate the addition of portable tank holders, compartments, ladders, hard suction, etc.  Unfortunately, with the recent Photobucket issues, I can't post photos of how well they work. This is an early photo of a WIP that has come a long way.   Look forward to following along!

20140422_221318-picsay.thumb.jpg.608a51f

David

20170917_135444-picsay.jpg

very nice tip there thanks

Walked away from this build for a few months. Now the weather is finally getting better here in PA, i thought it was time to start the bed. Used a 3" mailing tube and shaped it to the elliptical shape, then wrapped it in styrene.  Cut out the side & rear panels! 

IMG_20180304_135702965.jpg

Made a little progress this weekend.. got some paint on the body and tank. Made compartment doors and rubber wheel flares.. started to build the rear step bumper as well.. considering redoing the tank though.. I think the cardboard tube I used is twisting, live and learn.. I should have used the PVC Charles suggested.. always listen to the master?

IMG_20180326_141051862.jpg

5 hours ago, Sergey said:

Hello Dave!

Nice build! About LEDs: have you used resistors to make LED's shine not so bright?

Now I'm writting the arficle for TMW about LEDs.

I haven't used any resistors to make them not as bright.. I use the cool white kind. The pics i took on my phone make them look brighter than they actually are.