Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack R-model Engine Tanker 27(update 4/7/18)

7 hours ago, Sergey said:

O-key! Finally, the main goal is to get what you want.

i sincerely hope i didn't offend you with my comment. I was on my way out for work & made a quick reply. This is my first time using lighting & still working the bugs out. I would love to read your article to learn more. I consider you one of our top builders on this site& have learned from your builds. As a matter of fact i plan on doing The Love Machine from Convoy soon & will use yours to learn from. Mine won't go to the detail level of yours though. But back to the topic, Just wanted to apologize if i upset you. I will take more time when i comment in the future!  Always look forward to your builds also!

Spent most of the Easter weekend working on the tail end of this truck.   Finished the step bumper and lights. Need to add some of the plumbing. This truck has a Newton dump in each of the rear compartments, plus a round dump on the rear that needs completed yet!

IMG_20180401_151717802.jpg

Edited by towman1271

On 28.03.2018 at 9:25 PM, towman1271 said:

i sincerely hope i didn't offend you with my comment. ....Just wanted to apologize if i upset you. I will take more time when i comment in the future!  

That's O-key! Nothing to appologize for. 

Do you plan to use more LEDs? I guess the power source is 9V battery and you have 2 parallel circuits?

By the way, what is Newton dump?

3 hours ago, Sergey said:

That's O-key! Nothing to appologize for. 

Do you plan to use more LEDs? I guess the power source is 9V battery and you have 2 parallel circuits?

By the way, what is Newton dump?

The lights on the tank will be led's also & will run off a 9v.  As for a Newton dump valve! It is a manual valve we use on fire tankers as a quick release to rapidly drain water to a portable tank. We live in a very rural area where water is trucked to house fires, dumped quickly in these portable tanks so fire engines can pump it on the fire. I downloaded two pics to show you. The first is a truck dumping into the portable tank, the second is truck similar to ours were to valve is hidden in a side compartment!  The truck i am building halls 2500 gallons of water, or approx. 9500 liters

imagesK929IM0T.jpg

imagesdump.jpg

Edited by towman1271

17 hours ago, towman1271 said:

The lights on the tank will be led's also & will run off a 9v.  As for a Newton dump valve! It is a manual valve we use on fire tankers as a quick release to rapidly drain water to a portable tank. We live in a very rural area where water is trucked to house fires, dumped quickly in these portable tanks so fire engines can pump it on the fire.

I see.

You must know: 9V battery have small capacity and as more parallel circuits you make, as short their working time. This power source is O-key for photo session, but not for  exhibition. I guess battery have 0,6-0,8 A/h. Each LED circuit eat 0,02 A. If you have 1 circuit, lights will work about 30-40 hours. If 2 circuits - about 15-20 hours.

I guess your white LEDs need 3V - each, and red one - about 1,7V. I would change white emergancy light for blue LED. It usually needs 2-3V. I had both voltages blue LEDs.

Probably tank light will be red? I don't know how much space you have for power source? And how much LEDs wiil tank have? And main question: how long you want to lights work?

By the way, nice looking tank!

Edited by Sergey

23 hours ago, Sergey said:

I see.

You must know: 9V battery have small capacity and as more parallel circuits you make, as short their working time. This power source is O-key for photo session, but not for  exhibition. I guess battery have 0,6-0,8 A/h. Each LED circuit eat 0,02 A. If you have 1 circuit, lights will work about 30-40 hours. If 2 circuits - about 15-20 hours.

I guess your white LEDs need 3V - each, and red one - about 1,7V. I would change white emergancy light for blue LED. It usually needs 2-3V. I had both voltages blue LEDs.

Probably tank light will be red? I don't know how much space you have for power source? And how much LEDs wiil tank have? And main question: how long you want to lights work?

By the way, nice looking tank!

I won't really be using the LEDs for any real length of time. But are you suggesting I use multiple batteries on separate circuits. I would have space on each side of the tank, behind the compartment area?

Well, I would first determin: how many circuits it will be? And how many LEDs and which will have each circuit? I prefer each circuit to have equal summary voltage drop to all LEDs light with same brightness.

For example: 1-st circuit = 3V+3V+1,7V = 7,7V + 40 ohm additional resistor

2-nd circuit = 3V+1,7V+1,7V+1,7V = 8,1V +20 ohm additional resistor

3-rd circuit = 1,7V+1,7V+1,7V+1,7V+1,7V = 8,5V

You can use 1 battery. It's up to you. Besides you already finished front lights and you don't need lights working long.

I've made my own circuit board for flashing lights in the last Custombilt 379 project.

Anyway - Great work!

You right, it make things easy. Where have you got that flashing system from?

Edited by Sergey