Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buick Electra STW 1986 ready to "Under Glass"

Reuhkapelti

Hello! This is one of the models I have been dreaming to build ever since I had to sell my 1:1 Buick. I havent found any model kit of  a 80's GM STW, so I'm gonna make it my self.

I started by cutting in half a Buick GNX body, cut the rear off and then it's just cutting evergreen sheets and adding putty and filing and sanding as all of you modellers know. It's a long way until it's ready for paint but I'm getting there.

The frame is taken from '76 Chevy Caprice, I think it's close enough for this project. 

To be continued...

IMG_20171006_152502.jpg

IMG_20171006_153333.jpg

IMG_20171007_131524.jpg

IMG_20171008_194004.jpg

IMG_20171010_215532.jpg

IMG_20171012_163719.jpg

IMG_20171014_144455.jpg

IMG_20171016_131556.jpg

IMG_20171016_131611.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti

Well I have never been good at building anything box stock. I had many photos of that 1:1 Buick, but lost them with the broken pc. I found one pic from the net of that same car, but it's been taken to a junk yard. Still had the plates on though. Metallic gray on the top, metallic red on the sides. Thats the way this model will be painted too.

IMG_20171016_190910.jpg

IMG_20171016_191105.jpg

Thanks! My daily driver Buick had those fancy aluminium turbine wheels, so I will try to make them to this model too. The rear bumper is almost ready to get chrome coat, I will use the Molotow liguid for that. Just realized that the hood has to be made wider too. Also I have to figure out, how to make tidy thin white walls to the tires.

The last photo is found from the internet, and it is taken many years after I drove that same Buick. Kinda sad to see its been parted out, but honestly the 307 cid engine in it wasnt that crisp, maybe thats why its sitting at the junk yard. Also the TH200 showed some funny functions... 

IMG_20171018_191824.jpg

IMG_20171018_195103.jpg

IMG_20171018_195549.jpg

IMG_6895-300x225.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti

Thanks again! Here is the roof rack. I'm afraid it became a little bit too wide, but its hard to find photos from the internet, which would show excact measurements and locations of the rack. Would help a lot, if I could locate a GM wagon near by where I live. 

A few years ago hundreds and thousends of GM and Ford wagons were bought and brought here in Finland, and the rear seats were swapped off so the cars could be registered as light commercial wagons with less taxes to be paid to the government. After some years most of them are gone, just no value and interest. Only the finest survivors are taken care of and driven to USA car meetings etc. in the summer time. So it's not easy to find one now when needed to help in this model project. But I will build this model as well as I can.

IMG_20171019_233654.jpg

IMG_20171019_233130.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti

Thanks! So I made the hood 5mm wider and now I'm thinking if I would leave the GNX hump on the hood as it is. It would give this lazy azz wagon some sporty touch. 

Made the front bumper too. I managed to measure the ends of the bumper too short, so some extra evergreen stuff is needed to them. The rear passanger doors got some narrow pieces to the upper corner.

I also made 4 Buick turbine look alike wheels. 

IMG_20171025_132611.jpg

IMG_20171025_141534.jpg

Awesome, ambitious project!
So I had to try a Google search*, and I found picks. 

*1986 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon
However, you would need to look over the pics, as things like year or model tend to get mixed up on Google.
These are just a few:

(Only allowed 2 pics per post???)

BUICK 1986 LeSABRE ESTATE WAGON 01 - TEMP- DELETE.jpg

BUICK 1986 LeSABRE ESTATE WAGON 02 - TEMP- DELETE.JPG

Yes thank you for these photos. The thing is, I can find similar photos too, but the main thing I was looking for, is the roof rack and its position. No photos from straight above of the car, thats really what I was trying to find. From there it could have been easier to put the rack in place. Now its done, sort of. But thanks for the interest, these big wagons are just wonderful. Maybe some day I'll try to make one older wagon with the clamshell tail gate. If nobody gets there first!

Thank you! Today I painted the dash. The Molotow liguid chrome is good stuff. I didnt even try to put the chrome with the Molotow pen, instead used a small brush dipped into a little pond of that liquid from a refill bottle. 

The body of my Buick got some silver paint too, but seems like it still has some wrinkles here and there,  that I'm gonna try to fix.

This dark blue is the color of the seats. They need more paint, but on the other hand now they look like the sun has faded the fabric, eh?

IMG_20171030_160701.jpg

IMG_20171030_161853.jpg