• Announcements

• Site Upgrade   11/18/2017

The Forums will be down, Friday, November 24th starting 8 AM PST for upgrade.We'll probably be down until 1PM PST, but it might be longer. I'm doing a major forum software upgrade, so I expect the forums to operate somewhat differently when we come back online. 

Glenn Bunch IMSA Challenger

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Would any one happen to know which year this particular version of Glenn Bunch's brilliant Dodge Challenger is based on?

The roof line suggests early 70's?

GlennBunch_Challenger_01.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

Posted

Looks like a 1970 grille.  Other than the grille/headlamps and taillight panel, you could start with any year body '70-'74.  There is the Monogram '70 T/A (1/24), the ex-diecast Revell (claimed to be 1/25, closer to 1/24), AMT (1/25 scale '70 with separate roof), Lindberg (1/25 scale '72) and MPC ('70-'74 annual kits, '74 funny car) and Jo-Han ('70 funny car).  The funny car bodies are actually pretty close to stock other than panel lines being wiped off (and filled grille/taillight panel on the MPC).  Take your pick, with all the alterations needed, all you are really looking for is the roof, doors, and hood... 

Posted

Hi and thank you sir.

Is the Revell 1970 TA Street Burner a good choice?

Posted (edited)

Its got a 1970 grill in it. And the roofs are all the same.

Other wise thats where any similarities end  with a 1/1 car

http://glennbunch.com/images/23.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Posted

If it's the one that can be built as a T/A or an R/T, I'm not crazy about that one.  I had one and resold it.  It's called 1/25 but is actually pretty close to the Monogram 1/24 scale kit which is better all around.  If 1/24 scale is OK then I'd go with the Monogram.  For 1/25 scale the Lindberg would probably be cheapest.  The MPC funny car body would work too, but that one has no drip rails around the side window openings.  But if you can do the other bodywork, that shouldn't pose a problem.  If I were doing this, I'd start with the Lindberg body and get the front/rear trim from one of the AMT kits.   

Posted

If it's the one that can be built as a T/A or an R/T, I'm not crazy about that one.

Hi,

Is this the one you are not crazy about;

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-2596.pdf

If I were doing this, I'd start with the Lindberg body and get the front/rear trim from one of the AMT kits.   

Thanks for the idea, much appreciated.

Posted

Looks like a 1970 grille.  Other than the grille/headlamps and taillight panel, you could start with any year body '70-'74.  There is the Monogram '70 T/A (1/24), the ex-diecast Revell (claimed to be 1/25, closer to 1/24), AMT (1/25 scale '70 with separate roof), Lindberg (1/25 scale '72) and MPC ('70-'74 annual kits, '74 funny car) and Jo-Han ('70 funny car).  The funny car bodies are actually pretty close to stock other than panel lines being wiped off (and filled grille/taillight panel on the MPC).  Take your pick, with all the alterations needed, all you are really looking for is the roof, doors, and hood... 

Hi,

Interesting points.  Thank you!

Posted

Hi,

Is this the one you are not crazy about;

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-2596.pdf

Thanks for the idea, much appreciated.

That's the Monogram kit.  If you can work with 1/24 scale, it's pretty good. 

Posted

Another interesting IMSA funny car was this Firebird based "Silver Bird"

original.jpg

Posted

It might be easier to start with the MPC Plymouth Duster or Dodge Dart body.  

Image result for mpc valiant kit car

Posted

It might be easier to start with the MPC Plymouth Duster or Dodge Dart body.  

Image result for mpc valiant kit car

Hi,

Not a bad idea.

Thank you.