Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bad Bird" '57 Thunderbird: A Better Windshield Frame for the AMT Kit!

John Goschke

A sidebar discussion on a thread about hot rod T-birds on the TRaK forum jazzed me into action on this little project I'd been thinking about for awhile. That, and acquiring a set kidney bean Halibrand wheels from an AMT Parts Pack.  I hacked the windshield frame and cowl from the an AMT Trophy Jr. series curbside kit to notch into the body from a "Vegas" reissue of the original Trophy/Styline kit to replace its ill-fittting and incorrect chrome frame. I also used the far superior roof from the Junior kit. The Halibrand wheels were stripped of chrome and sprayed Tamiya Light Gunmetal with flat clear to represent raw magnesium. The larger tires are from an original issue AMT '49 Ford.  Just for the heck of it I drop-fitted some alternative early OHV powerplants, first the Lincoln from the '25 T kit and a blown hemi from an original issue AMT Deuce roadster!  Whatever I use for power though I want to fit under the smooth scoopless hood from the original issue T-bird kit. What do you think?

For a discussion of the virtues of AMT's old curbside T-bird kit go here... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/91580-vintage-kit-review-amts-other-125th-57-thunderbird/

2v2uVJwpzxE7U1V.jpg

2v2uVJfuFxE7U1V.jpg2v2uVJftFxE7U1V.jpg2v2uVJwDjxE7U1V.jpg

I recall a drag strip terror that was built with a 406, shortly after the Ford FE engine of that displacement was introduced in 1962. There were a fair few 427-equipped baby Birds running on the strips a little later too.

As the FE engine was introduced in '58, it would be a natural to replace the Y-block.

Your mockup with the Halibrands already has me wanting to see more of this build.   :D

For something unusual that fits under a scoopless hood, you could try a front-blown setup. There was a rather famous '58 Corvette (Brian Chuchua ran 171 at Bonneville) built just that way.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Geez! I just built one of the later issues of this kit & no matter how much I fussed with the windshield & frame nothing seemed to fit. It was even more frustrating to find the roof didn't fit after I drilled out and framed the port holes. I now know why! This thread explains all! wish I knew of these issues before I took on this dinosaur of a kit. Oh well...