Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Ford Woody- Swap-N-Build CBP project

Modlbldr

Here is what I used for this wood.

http://IMG_20171110_134837115_HDR.jpg

Left to Right is: Duratrax R/C paint "Candy Yellow", Ceramcoat satin Craft paint "Bamboo", "Cinnamon Sugar" and "Autumn Brown".

I started with brushing a coat of the Candy Yellow and then a coat of the Bamboo. After that I dry brushed the Cinnamon Sugar and Autumn Brown a bit. At that point it didn't look right so I went back and dry brushed the Bamboo a bit more. It took about three rounds like that then finishing it up with a final light dry brushing of the Bamboo.

I have to say that it really didn't look right to me until I taped off around the finished area. That's when it looked right to me because I wasn't seeing the unpainted white plastic around the painted area. What I mean is that the tape helped with tricking my mind into seeing the finished product.

I hope this helps. I have to say that this is too light for what I want. I may try painting over the entire thing with a bit of clear orange to try to make it darker. If that works then I think I'll go with it.

Later-

The example above is just a piece of flat sheet plastic that I was practicing on. This is intended for the framing. I was going to do real wood in the panels but I am beginning to think that it might be too much of a contrast in textures that the stained wood would make the painted "wood" look too much like painted plastic. I may go back and glue plastic sheeting in the openings to paint them. That way I can get a light and dark "wood" contrast but no contrast in the textures.

I'll do some more practicing over the next week and then make a determination as to whether I can make it work using real wood or not.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I think you should consider using the wood grain as you have it; it is a very attractive not-so-light tone! Sometimes a bit of unexpected contrast can be visually stimulating. I wouldn't discard it just yet, maybe do some more testing with your other colors next to the light wood grain... remember how your eyes were tricked by the white plastic vs. the taped-off appearance? You really need to place your colors against each other to see HOW they affect each other. I think you might surprise yourself! Looking nice so far...

If it is the wood grain on the plastic that is causing the contrast concern, perhaps you could sand the wood grain on the plastic to lessen or eliminate the texture & then do your wood graining technique as it looks very realistic. When I saw your practice piece I thought you had done it on balsa wood,

Also, keep in mind that there would be some contrast in the grains as the framing wood is a different type of wood than the panels.

Also if the wood has a new coat of vanish, that would have an effect  on the  appearance of the grain. 

You have probably taken all this into consideration, but I know sometimes I tend forget about the forest when looking at a tree. (just trying to maintain the same "timber" with that last remark  :D )

Thanks for the input guys.

I sat down tonight and tried a paint pattern for the panels. Here we're the results using Tamiya X-26 Clear Orange, XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan and XF-68 NATO Brown. 

http://IMG_20171111_195916248.jpg

I think the shade is what I'm looking for but I will definitely have to go with a smaller grain pattern.

I also painted the base of Candy Yellow on the framework. 

http://IMG_20171111_200013414.jpg

http://IMG_20171111_200029986.jpg

I will probably use the same Wooden Deck Tan and NATO Brown over this for a lighter color than the panels. I think the difference between the Candy Yellow and the Clear Orange will be enough of a difference. If not, I'll put more Tan over the frame than the panels.

Later-

Thanks fellas. I think that I am going with plastic panels. I am going to do that for two reasons. The first is that I think it will match the look of the painted frame better. The second is because I am actually having fun painting the wood grain and I'd like to get more practice at doing it.

Kim, do you have a post for your build yet? Looking forward to seeing it.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Looking good.

Glad to see somebody making progress on their Swap-n-build project. I am a bit stalled on mine right now. Mostly because I had a good breakthrough on another stalled project. Needed to fully scratch build an interior tub/running boards for a 53 ford PU and finally figured out how I wanted to do it. Just ran with that momentum. And my 442 hood decal debacle has be a bit slowed on my Swap-n-build project, Not to worry though, it will be completed, and soon

Good to hear Jason. Yeah, I understand when a breakthrough happens you have to run with it. I have a stalled 66 El Camino because I can't get up the nerve or the time to do the BMF. I want to do it all in one shot. I just figured out last night that the next time my wife goes out of town for a couple of days I am going to blitz it. That only happens once every few years.

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in with a verbal update, no photos. Got all of the wood done and have about half of the windows in. I used the templates from the kit to cut the side windows. After cutting them all out I was disappointed to find out that the templates are too small. They end up with the windows being just as big as the opening but not big enough to glue in the grooves. So now I have to find some new window material. 

I have a buddy molding me three wheels using mine as the pattern, so I am waiting to get them and detail them. I also borrowed some paint from him to mix up a brass color for the bell. Long story short, I haven't made much forward progress this week. Stay tuned.

Later-