Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Road Weary Roadway Ford - Ok, it's actually done this time, I swear

You guys may or may not remember seeing the Roadway C Series Ford I built earlier this year. The pics on that post were long lost to Photobucket's new sharing policy, so I'll post the whole thing here in addition to it's freshly completed trailer. After struggling with decals, warping, that overhead door, etc., I decided to put it off to the side and focus on some other projects. Well, something got the fire going again, and got me to complete this in a much shorter time frame than expected. This was my first venture into the world of building rigs, and despite the moments of impatience, it was a really fun, rewarding project. So rewarding that I'm putting off a hotrod build in favor of the Mack R685. That's a pretty big thing for me lol. Well, enough of that, more about the truck.

The build started off with the truck. It was an old, used kit to start, so various repairs including fixing the window posts and taking care of some warp issues were in store. After getting everything straight, the cab got a coat of MM Go Mango and Rustoleum Classic Navy Blue, the decals from the MPC Mack DM600 were applied. After weathering the frame, engine, and cab with some Tamiya powders, a generous coating of grime and grease was applied by mixing various craft acrylics with baking soda. The engine and wired and plumbed along with the brake system. Jumping into truck building with this kit was a blessing, as I got some experience with rigs, but wasn't overwhelmed by my limited knowledge of diesel engines. The gas powered Ford big block was just like detailing a huge car engine. The final touches included scratch built lines/gladhands and a catwalk made from wedding tulle and sheet styrene. A mount for a hand truck on the front bumper was also made, leaving the hand truck removable if I ever want to display it with the cab forward. 

The trailer was supposed to be a simple build, but it just never seems to work out that way. Since I spend every day at an LTL company, I know what these trailers look like inside and out, so I became determined to make it as realistic as I could. It started off with the floor being painted with Rustoleum Nutmeg, then being treated to a dry brushing with some flat black enamel stain. The walls were warped almost into a U, so they needed a good straightening. After that was achieved, they were spayed with some Rustoleum Aluminum. The interior walls were then fashioned from some basswood and styrene strip for the runners. My first idea for the livery was to make decals, but after three failed attempts, it looked like painting was the only way to go. The trailer sided were sprayed with the Rustoleum Navy, then masked off using a stencil I cut from some Tamiya tape. After a couple coats of the aluminum, I removed the tape and wondered why I didn't go that route in the first place lol. After assembly, the trailer was weathered using Tamiya powders, some mineral spirits for streaking, and some acrylic paint to beat up the door a bit. The lenses were also a bit bulky for my liking, so some window maker glue painted with stoplight red and turn signal amber took their place. I also like the option to display the trailer with or without a tractor, but the kit gives you a one or the other option for the landing gear. I like having cake and eating it too, so some holes were drilled through to allow a pin to be inserted, allowing me to swap up or down landing gear as I please. The final touches include airlines, scratch built hazmat placards, and a full load similar to what I deal with on a day to day basis. 

Well, that wraps it up. She isn't pretty, but then again, neither is any fleet truck in the Northeast from November to April. All in all, I'm pretty happy with this one, and I can't wait to tackle that Mack R and Freuhauf van that's staring at me. I may have found a new modeling obsession outside of hotrods lol. Thanks for looking!!!

IMG_20170325_240950765.jpg

IMG_20170325_241017555.jpg

IMG_20170325_241037546.jpg

IMG_20170325_241105776.jpg

IMG_20170325_241219652.jpg

IMG_20170325_241231800.jpg

IMG_20170325_241259942.jpg

IMG_20170325_241312033.jpg

IMG_20170325_241435681.jpg

IMG_20170325_241548959.jpg

IMG_20170325_241647269.jpg

IMG_20170325_242154148.jpg

IMG_20171016_071413.jpg

IMG_20171016_071439.jpg

IMG_20171016_071559.jpg

IMG_20171016_071617.jpg

IMG_20171016_071629.jpg

IMG_20171016_071653.jpg

IMG_20171016_060938681.jpg

IMG_20171016_064402246.jpg

IMG_20171016_064533327.jpg

IMG_20171016_065000279.jpg

Wow!  So realistic, very well done.......this build brings back bad memories for me.  For about 5 years I lived in Saline, MI. and we had a Roadway terminal a couple miles from town and they had a couple of these rigs for local deliveries.  I don't think they ever got over 25-30 MPH at ANY time, everybody hated being trapped behind one because the roads and traffic in the area prevented anyone from being able to pass and some areas had 45 MPH speed limits.  They could put you in a bad mood real quick.  They both looked just like your model!!!

Yes, absolutely... beautiful model. I like the styling of pretty much all the Fords of the period, especially this tractor. I've seen plenty of rigs in the orange and blue Roadway livery, too. 

You've done a fine job representing a hard working unit...but damm it man, you've made me have to add this to my list of must-haves.  :D