Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kalmar Ottawa Yard Tractor

Comments and suggestions welcome. Don't know why, but cutting plastic really appeals to me, despite having many projects started and stalled, mainly waiting for paint. On a lark I built up a chassis from a European cabover kit that was missing the body and was looking for something to put on it...

Where I'm headed

iQ0YXpU.jpg

Starting out

P8KgOha.jpg

Where I'm at now.  To quote a modeling luminary, "It's starting to look like a truck". I will be cutting out a lot of the interior plastic to clear the engine, once it has some structural integrity.

GOCd5wy.jpg

Those five hole wheels on the real one are available from Jamie Rahmoeller.

moluminum.com

Thanks for the source. I'm not too worried about the wheels, some pictures show 2-holes, some 5-holes, some both, some Euro-styled multiple holes, look like anything goes. Anyhow, I don't buy much aftermarket, due to $US, shipping, taxes, duty and I'm cheap to boot, I'd rather modify something than order it, and it's all part of the fun of building

• 2 weeks later...

Sliding door should be pretty simple with a U shaped channel top and bottom for the door to slide in.  If you have some small brass channel that would work.  If not you could build some up with plastic strip stock.

Thanks for the advice, got some Evergreen 0.125" styrene channel that the 0.040" thick door should fit in even after paint. I will shim and recess it a bit so it fits well or does stick out. Got some work done on the interior, which should just slide in before I build the back wall with its sliding door

NeGt4qo.jpg

The console on the right is actually more of an engine cover, so once things are firmed up I will be cutting out the (unseen) cab wall to make room for the engine below.

JCYMtRW.jpg