Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dow7 coating

TonyH

I've been doing some research on options for replicating the Dow-7 coating used on magnesium wheels. I haven't had much luck in finding a specific brand/color to paint the wheels for my project. Part of the issue is that the real coating doesn't last very long and will darken as it ages from a greenish/gold to the gray.

Here is something I came up with last night. Its basically just a 50/50 mix of Testors Gold and Flat Green although I feel a touch of gray to darken it might have helped.

1a.jpg

The color is definitely in the ballpark, but would look more real if the metallic particles weren't visible. Dow 7 isn't sparkly.

My first thought, too.

Take a look at Model Master Jet Exhaust. It's kind of a metallic goldish/bronzish/steelish color that might be a good starting point. I've often used it for carburetors.

I have heard from some and have gotten a list of colors to use to mix that gets close to the Dow7 colors.  Couple guys on here have given me their version and I have tried them on my Milner rail with good results...

Kerry, this would be an excellent opportunity to share, no?

Maybe some pics?

I've done several sets of model wheels using the following procedure to get the DOW-7 look:

1) Duplicolor Gray Sandable Primer (which is a dark gray.)

2) Brush on Testors Model Master "Jet Exhaust"

3) 24 hours later seal in Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear

Here's an example picture of one of my dragsters that shows the result.

2v29aKwjGxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1

I've done several sets of model wheels using the following procedure to get the DOW-7 look:

1) Duplicolor Gray Sandable Primer (which is a dark gray.)

2) Brush on Testors Model Master "Jet Exhaust"

3) 24 hours later seal in Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear

Here's an example picture of one of my dragsters that shows the result.

2v29aKwjGxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

I think Dennis is the one I got my list from about a year ago... that’s about what I have written down here at home!!!

image.jpg

I picked these up several years back at various locations (Michael's, maybe Walmart, and Crafts Direct in St. Cloud, MN). I've used them for replicating different metal finishes. Yesterday at Hobby Lobby, I saw a can of Krylon that looked as if it might be perfect for replicating newly-treated Dow 7. Sorry I can't recall the color, but it was in a large can, and looked very close, and the flake appeared more metallic than metalflake. I wish I'd picked it up.

IMG_3533cr.jpg

Paul said:"This is about as close as I've been been able to get as far as used Magnesium dow coated. Its Alclad Mag over white primer. Of course the make up of the Magnesium will change the color of it" Hahahahaha! That looks almost perfect! And, that's closer than anybody else has got, as far as I've seen!

I used Testor Flat Green and Bright Gold. I would like to knock down the brightness a little. The flash must have really brought out the metallic it doesn't look that bad in person.

Thank you for all the ideas to recreate the coating! I definitely have some more experimenting to do.

Paul, (mr68gts) I tried your technique and I like what I see. I stripped the Crower on my car and like the new finish much better.  I think it takes a little differently on metal, brass in my case, but it looks better and closer all the same.  Thanks for sharing the tip.  cheers, tim

It's good to refer to what the real stuff looks like...and it does indeed look different depending on whether the magnesium substrate is a casting or machined from a forged billet...and how old and worn it is...and it's NOT sparkly like metallic paint...

Image result for Dow7 coating      Image result for Dow7 coating

Image result for Dow7 coating          

Image result for Dow7 coating          Image result for Dow7 coating

In the shots below, you can easily see how Dow7 looks very different when applied to a machined surface, and an as-cast surface right next to it.

339A.jpg

341A.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy