Model Cars Magazine Forum

WTB: 54 Olds caps & 50 Merc dash

I'm attempting to build a 1/25th scale copy of Curly Tremayne's 50 Merc custom and am in need of a set of 1954 Olds hubcaps and a 50 Merc dash. I recall seeing these available at one time but don't remember from whom or where. Can anyone help out? Thanks in advance!

Curlys50A.jpg

Not sure if it's in his catalog any more, but Norm Veber at Replicas and Miniatures produced a '50 Mercury dash.  1953 -1955 style Oldsmobile hubcaps very similar to the ones you're looking for in Revell's Ed Roth '56 Ford pickup and the Custom '50 Olds kit (solid wheel using Revell's wonkyish new wheel design), but the caps in both of those kits have the three spinner bars.

I was going to say Pegasus Crossbars with the bars left off,, similar but not quite. Close enough maybe?

Image result for Pegasus Hobbies Crossbars

Thanks! Those are pretty close, but I'm shooting for getting as accurate as I can with this build. I know I've seen 54 Olds resin caps before, I just cant remember who made them...

Actually, if anyone can identify the hubcaps in this pic, and inform me if they're available in resin(or plastic) this could be an 'plan B' instead of the 54 Olds caps. I'm guessing at some point these different caps were used on Curly's car for a short time(or maybe just for this photo shoot?)as I only recall seeing the car in pics and in person with the 54 Olds caps. 

The MPC 50 Merc cop car snap kit has the dash too. Lousy pic and not my model.

Image result for 50 mercury police car kit

That's a '49 dash Glenn. In fact, that MPC snapper is just a '49 with '50 trim. Looks like most of that kit was just copied from the AMT '49 and simplified.

This is a '50 Merc dash

Image result for '50 Merc dash

I think Norm Veber was the only one who did that dash in resin ,, and it was excellent 

Edited by Can-Con

I have one of the R&MCofM 50 dashes and it is really nice.  A kit in itself.  The trim around and under the cluster is a separate piece, the knobs are separate pieces and there are two different-colored instrument inserts, with a separate clear lens.

Just as a sidelight, Norm has those Buick headlights also.

Thanks for the tip! I'm actually planning on scratch building those. They have to get molded onto the front of the fenders and I have an idea of how to make it all work. Fingers crossed that my plan works out. I'll post pics of the process I have in mind if it works :)