Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:8 Scale Wheels in 3d print

I did an inventory of the wheels I have made for the 1:8 scale hot rods.  Smaller scales available also.    Showing what I have available for 3d print deep and shallow versions.  Shown here are the deep versions with the top row being front wheels only. 

Mike

wheelSet.JPG

wheelSet2.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2017 at 2:14 PM, MrObsessive said:

What's needed in 1/12 are some steelies!

There are those that I'm sure would like to build the 1/12 scale '69 Camaro for instance with those wheels and poverty hubcaps. That would make for an interesting build. I was all over Shapeways website, and not a one makes those. :(

Hi Guys

Been off the boards of late and came across this.  I can take care of this one not a problem.  I take it the wheel looking something like this.  Did the big three all have there own versions of the "Steely and Poverty" setup.  I'm thinking a Camaro version will be slightly to its own design?  Do you guys want the wheel to fit what tire?  No sense in making it so custom that it needs a tire to go along.  If someone could post up the tire dimension I'll build to that spec.

Mike

povertywheels

Edited by mnagatani

On 12/9/2017 at 2:14 PM, MrObsessive said:

What's needed in 1/12 are some steelies!

There are those that I'm sure would like to build the 1/12 scale '69 Camaro for instance with those wheels and poverty hubcaps. That would make for an interesting build. I was all over Shapeways website, and not a one makes those. :(

Yes. Me too.

I thought I was alone on this...as I figured somebody would have done 1/12 scale steelies in the history of model building, but, no. 

22 minutes ago, mnagatani said:

Thanks Ralph for sharing this. I really do like that staggered look.  This thread got me thinking to make a line of wheels for this kit.  I'm going to initially start with the large size wheel sets.  I'll keep you all posted.

Mike

Do you have a store or just here? I like your idea about the wheels but i can tell you from my experience of doing these 1/12 Camaros,  we need more tire options than anything.. the first kits that came out came with 14inch GoodYears and slicks, and the newer Foose kit comes with larger style tires BFG's.. theres really no options out there. If your lucky to find tires from a RC car thats great but you are most lickly alone and hope they fit the wheel you have... so yeah we need tire options..?

On 12/23/2017 at 9:50 AM, Ralph Torres said:

Do you have a store or just here? I like your idea about the wheels but i can tell you from my experience of doing these 1/12 Camaros,  we need more tire options than anything.. the first kits that came out came with 14inch GoodYears and slicks, and the newer Foose kit comes with larger style tires BFG's.. theres really no options out there. If your lucky to find tires from a RC car thats great but you are most lickly alone and hope they fit the wheel you have... so yeah we need tire options..?

Without getting into trouble....its my logo with a dot com.  Can you guys throw me out a list of tires and options.  Images help too.    I rely on the community for input when it comes to making new stuff.

Mike

Happy holidays.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, mnagatani said:

Without getting into trouble....its my logo with a dot com.  Can you guys throw me out a list of tires and options.  Images help too.    I rely on the community for input when it comes to making new stuff.

Mike

Happy holidays.

Thanks 

Ohh Mike i now know who you are.. yes i have your store page stored lol.. your in Carlsbad CA..im north of you here in Cali in Fontana.. i travel to the beach in your area every year and to the SoCal show.. yeah ill be glad to shot you some tire pictures. I know tires are not cheap to print but in some of our cases theres no choice..like you guys in 1/8 scale are short in tires we are too lol..ill shot you a PM.

There are a lot of nice "real" tires available for RC.  I found big-n-littles for my coupe & they look & feel just like the real thing.

I sized them to the car by referencing OD & tread width.

Since I'm going to cut my own wheels, I'm just drawing my prints to match the ID of the tire.

If you're printing wheels, just engineer the software to fit the tire.

• 2 weeks later...

Good call!  I took the approach you mentioned and applied it to the muscle machine toy rear tires.  I created these cause I never liked the wheel designs and the front tires were too wide for my tastes.  

Pic of the Willys and 57 Chubby with printed wheel and tires.

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5323.JPG

IMG_5327.JPG

Edited by mnagatani