Model Cars Magazine Forum

1923 Ford T Fruit Wagon

retriever

I'm starting a new project.  The kit is the AMT 1923 Ford T Fruit Wagon.

box_art.thumb.jpg.b72142f4e215f504822dfc

I don't think I'll use the "Fruity" parts as the molded detail of the fruit leaves a lot to the imagination.  I will be building a stock Model T though.... just have to decide what will be housed under the rear canopy.

So Far I have painted the chassis, the fenders, hood and radiator typical Henry black.  The color of the remainder of the body will depend on what I decide the wagon will be used for.

2.thumb.jpg.afb6ed4e419e10325cc84d0900a5Tony

Cool, I just finished building a hot rod out of this kit, and have started the stock version.

you're right about the ‘fruit’ molding. More like moulding arf arf see what I did there?

What do you think you may do with the "fruit"?  I've been trying to think of a few ideas, including beer barrels, but the canopy wouldn't be needed for them.  Are your builds of this kit on the forum?

Slurp, ... 2 apples and a banana for me, Tony ... :P

I'll put some aside for you Fred.

Tony

Hobby Lobby sells a range of dollhouse accessories called "Mayberry Street."  It includes some bananas, tomatoes and other fruits/vegetables. These items are 1/12 scale, but they can pass for large 1/25 scale specimens. (Or since this is Halloween Month, maybe giant mutant fruits and veggies from another planet).  I picked up some just for the AMT Fruit Wagon.  You'll find them hanging on the wall in bags, with the other dollhouse stuff.

What do you think you may do with the "fruit"?  I've been trying to think of a few ideas, including beer barrels, but the canopy wouldn't be needed for them.  Are your builds of this kit on the forum?

I'll put some aside for you Fred.

Tony

I wasn’t sure about the fruit, but after reading about all these great ideas, I might try the doll house route.

Maybe you could fill the back with ‘old’ engine part left overs from other kits?

Heres a pick of the Rod I built from the kit, box stock, I’m still a relative beginner, so don’t look to close!

B8D19557-ECE4-42DA-BB95-CF15B252ED72.jpeg

I wasn’t sure about the fruit, but after reading about all these great ideas, I might try the doll house route...

Here's another solution, closer to scale.  Had to look in the stash and jog my memory. 

This is the PREISER #45207 G scale (1:22.5 scale) "Market Accessories."  I bought one many years ago, and wasn't sure if it's even still available.  But it is!  HobbyLinc has it in stock right now for $23.52. So don't fall for any RARE! VTG! HTF! expensive listings on That Auction Site.

The Mayberry Street stuff at Hobby Lobby is $3.99 for a small bag of loose fruits/veggies, with no baskets or containers.  So this may be a better deal, as well as being closer to the "right" scale.

You will have to do some painting.  This kit is molded in light tan plastic for the crates, medium tan for baskets/bag, and dark brown plastic for all the fruits/veggies.  The umbrella is molded in white.

vegs.jpg

For the most part the model T is complete, but It's lacking the fruit.  I put the kit fruit in the bed just to get an idea of how it would look, but I don't intend to use it in the finished model.  I haven't glued the roof or the canopy supports to the model yet, as I'm waiting for some miniature boxes of fruit to come from my friend in France.  When They are painted and arranged in the bed, I will glue the roof in place.  I think this truck also need some advertising decals.  The kit ones only relate to the hot rod version, so I can't use those.

9.thumb.jpg.6c344a653529e89e0847e9d92c9b10.thumb.jpg.2f0c6634254b5031667e483da13