Model Cars Magazine Forum

SOME CURRENT ROUND 2 INFO TODAY...

AC Norton

46 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

I think Round 2 is missing the boat a little with some of their tools...they could put the Monaco in a repop of the old "T.J. Hooker" box, I think that would be a seller. It would essentially be an LAPD car from that era.   

I always get confused over who used what, and have to go ask Mr. Internet.  (Even though I lived in SoCal at the time and saw these cars all over the place.)

The California Highway Patrol used 77-78 Dodge Monacos.  The LAPD used the nearly-identical Plymouth Fury. There have been a couple of threads on this board about the Yodel 1/24 Monaco/Fury kits where this was discussed. Along with replacement 3D-printed grilles and other fun stuff.  Here's one thread:

Edited by Mike999
omit

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

I think the Goon Car that was shown on screen was an AMC Ambassador or something. I'm too lazy to look, but I'm sure it's easily verified online somewhere. 

IIRC they were Spanish Dodge 3700GTs ('60s Dart based, had a front kind of like an AMC Rebel)...the first Batman movie was filmed in the UK at Pinewood Studios IIRC...  

Edited by Rob Hall

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I always get confused over who used what, and have to go ask Mr. Internet.  (Even though I lived in SoCal at the time and saw these cars all over the place.)

The California Highway Patrol used 77-78 Dodge Monacos.  The LAPD used the nearly-identical Plymouth Fury. There have been a couple of threads on this board about the Yodel 1/24 Monaco/Fury kits where this was discussed. Along with replacement 3D-printed grilles and other fun stuff.  Here's one thread:

Hmmm...the T.J. Hooker kit was the Dodge Monaco the first time around, molded in black. I had one, I still have the box. I would not be surprised if they used the Dodges on that show, either. I think the show aired some time in the early 80's (probably when both agencies were using Dodge St. Regis / Plymouth Gran Furies or Dodge Diplomats). My understanding is that the studios had a vast supply of the '77-'78 Dodges and Plymouths, and they weren't too picky about make for a given production.

Me growing up in Philly, I only remember these cars from TV. Philadelphia P.D. used full sized Plymouth Gran Fury C bodies in the late '70's, then later (briefly), Chrysler Newports (the St. Regis clone), & Ford Fairmonts, and then eventually moving onto the Plymouth Gran Fury (Diplomat-style). Something to do with their contract bids, Philly P.D. always used Plymouths, except for a few Dodge Ramchargers. It seemed like most suburban agencies outside of Philly used Chevy Caprices during that era.

The CHP and LAPD probably had similar arrangements to Philly, their suppliers being exclusively one make, probably through a few select dealerships who handled the bids & delivery.   

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

IIRC they were Spanish Dodge 3700GTs ('60s Dart based, had a front kind of like an AMC Rebel)...the first Batman movie was filmed in the UK at Pinewood Studios IIRC...  

Makes sense! I didn't even know about those cars until relatively recently. It would be neat to have a Colombian Dodge Polara GTX in kit form, that was a related car.

There's probably a pricey 1/43 out there somewhere, I don't need one that badly!

55 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

My understanding is that the studios had a vast supply of the '77-'78 Dodges and Plymouths, and they weren't too picky about make for a given production..   

True.  In North Hollywood during the 1980s, I lived near the storage lot of a company that provided TV/movie cars.  They always had a bunch of those 77-78 "Pl-odges" sitting around.  

TV is still not too picky.  On the ID Channel recently, I saw a true-crime story that was set in Illinois, IIRC.  But the cop cars had the very distinctive LAPD door markings (the city seal of Los Angeles).  So I guess they shot that scene in L.A. and rented the cars locally. 

For those 77-78 Pl-odges, there was one other big difference.  The Calif. Highway Patrol only painted the roof and front doors white.  LAPD painted the roof and all 4 doors white. 

Edited by Mike999
error

IIRC , the following pieces of equipment different from agency-to-agency :

CHP 'Pursuit' models had the 255hp 440 ; roof and front door skins were "999" white . Some local agencies' models had the 195hp "E58" 360 .

LAPD 'Patroller' models had the 170hp 318 four barrel / 727 / 9.25" diff. Both doors and roof were "999" white

LASO 'Patroller' and 'Pursuit' models were equipped with either the 170hp 318 four barrel or 195hp 360 "E58" . Paint scheme was similar to CHP paint schemes .

The turn signal lenses were amber for 1977 , per federal edict .

LASO also used the then-new Nova 9C1 , which had the LM3 350 four barrel . Those 9C1 Nova models were , for all intents and purposes , four door sedan versions of the Z28 !

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

IIRC , the following pieces of equipment different from agency-to-agency :

CHP 'Pursuit' models had the 255hp 440 ; roof and front door skins were "999" white . Some local agencies' models had the 195hp "E58" 360 .

LAPD 'Patroller' models had the 170hp 318 four barrel / 727 / 9.25" diff. Both doors and roof were "999" white

LASO 'Patroller' and 'Pursuit' models were equipped with either the 170hp 318 four barrel or 195hp 360 "E58" . Paint scheme was similar to CHP paint schemes .

The turn signal lenses were amber for 1977 , per federal edict .

LASO also used the then-new Nova 9C1 , which had the LM3 350 four barrel . Those 9C1 Nova models were , for all intents and purposes , four door sedan versions of the Z28 !

Your description of the 9C1 Nova is dead on. I was working at Home Motors Chevrolet in Santa Maria Ca. at that time. The dealership was making a TV commercial at the same time that our Fleet Manager was trying to sell some 9C1 Nova's to the local Law Enforcement Agencies. Chevrolet had sent him a Nova with a black & white paint job to use as a demonstrator. I drove the Nova while the Film Crew were in the back of a pick up. At the time my personal "Demo" was a Nova SS with the F-41 Suspension and I had a '77 Z-28 at home in the garage. The Nova's handling was much closer to the Z than the F-41 Nova SS. This leads me to think that for the 9C1 at least Chevrolet used far heavier Suspension components than the civilian issued cars.     

39 minutes ago, alexis said:

is there a bigger version of this photo?

I can barely make out the Autocar, and can't really tell what else is there.

Control key and + key. :D There's not much which hasn't been mentioned already here on the forum, and Round2 is probably going to display all the same stuff at the New York Toy Fair tomorrow. I think I see the Joker Goon Car box on the top shelf next to the Cougar F/C? Other than that and what could be seen in Luc's pic earlier in this topic, I don't think there's and news. You can go to Round2's facebook page and see the same pic, but nothing close up.

20 hours ago, espo said:

Your description of the 9C1 Nova is dead on. I was working at Home Motors Chevrolet in Santa Maria Ca. at that time. The dealership was making a TV commercial at the same time that our Fleet Manager was trying to sell some 9C1 Nova's to the local Law Enforcement Agencies. Chevrolet had sent him a Nova with a black & white paint job to use as a demonstrator. I drove the Nova while the Film Crew were in the back of a pick up. At the time my personal "Demo" was a Nova SS with the F-41 Suspension and I had a '77 Z-28 at home in the garage. The Nova's handling was much closer to the Z than the F-41 Nova SS. This leads me to think that for the 9C1 at least Chevrolet used far heavier Suspension components than the civilian issued cars.     

That 9C1 Nova was a beast. Our county has them, and they were pretty fast. I have been considering trying my hand at doing a 4 door Nova. I had a 78 4 door as a demo when I first got into the car business.

7 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

That 9C1 Nova was a beast. Our county has them, and they were pretty fast. I have been considering trying my hand at doing a 4 door Nova. I had a 78 4 door as a demo when I first got into the car business.

I drove a '75 Nova LN two door Demo for a time. I seriously considered ordering one for my self but I already had several new and newer cars at home that I didn't drive that often so it was hard to justify buying another. The love of the automobile is what got me into the car business to start with, plus an invitation from the dealer I ordered my new '74 Step Side from. Building a copy of the four door is going to take a lot of fabrication since I know of no models that shared that roof line, and even the AMT '76 Nova Model Hatchback is only close at best.  Good luck to you on finding a sedan body.  

Yeah , none of the cars in the movie were Monaco's from 77/78

the GPD cars were ,

1978 Ford Fairmont

Dodge Diplomat or Plymouth Gran Fury. 1981-1989.

1980 Volare

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_96895-Batman.html

And the Goon Car's was a Nova

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_16579-Chevrolet-Malibu-1979.html

And the Dodge or whatever

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_16572-Dodge-3700-GT-1972.html

Edited by martinfan5

• 2 weeks later...

OK, get your magnifying lenses out to see this one...and that might not even be enough. Under the Round2 sign section, top left, above the black(?) Toyota pickup...what is that? Looks like a guy standing, wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans, but I can't make out the rest. The box looks unfamiliar, too, possible AMT logo on the side? 

R2nurem.jpg.a0c6608c5cd11d4be4d8cf0b9ed004f9.jpg

52 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I swear it looks like this.......

Bet that gets a buzz going.

IMG_2983-vi.jpg

That sure looks like it....hmmm, on the desk here...:

R2stash2.jpg.1d74fa5729472fc5034cfb360b25e428.jpg

...and again present on Jamie H's desk here:

2-15-BLOG-CUBE-PIC.jpg.1da3bc03ed8bb7fbf178af7b8f96f9c4.jpg

I mean, it's neat and all, but it seems like a really weird choice if there's any merit to it? I guess we'll find out more if there is anything more to the story.

Edited by Casey

4 hours ago, pack rat said:

Kits, maybe.  Tooling, no

I assume it's similar to what Polar Lights did with a few of the ex-Aurora Monster kits back in the early '00s(?), but it still seems like a very strange choice to me. The Aurora Racing Scenes Funny Car Chassis kit is right there, too, so...not sure what to make if it all, honestly.

I could see running the Aurora 1/16 stuff if you had access to the molds and they were in good shape. Cutting new molds??? NO....But don't forget Monogram had bought the Aurora molds.....and they are in trouble....so leasing molds they have no plans for could happen.  And the old Aurora train wreck molds story.....even a top man at Monogram at the time says he didn't know what all they ended up owning....no hard inventory had been done at the time. Who knows???