Model Cars Magazine Forum

SOME CURRENT ROUND 2 INFO TODAY...

AC Norton

Oh man, that van!!!

I'm very in for that one. Not sure what I'll do with my Phantom Van  of a few years ago now; isn't it the same base kit? Oh wait, if it IS the same base kit, then maybe I can use up BOTH decal schemes!

So many van kits to go, but this is a good step down the road!

35 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Regarding the '55 Chevy Bel Air, it's the first time they have had the stock and street machine parts all together in one kit, IIRC...

Yeah, very cool! Hopefully it will include the Nomad's drag front suspension. Probably too much to hope for for the Nomad's beautiful Torq-Thrust wheels, though. :(

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Yeah, very cool! Hopefully it will include the Nomad's drag front suspension. Probably too much to hope for for the Nomad's beautiful Torq-Thrust wheels, though. :(

I don't think those parts were ever in the Bel Air..this will build stock or an '80s style street machine.

15 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Regarding the '55 Chevy Bel Air, it's the first time they have had the stock and street machine parts all together in one kit, IIRC...

They were included in the last "Millennium" reissue for sure and #6671, which had the stock built up on the box top.

15 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I don't think those parts were ever in the Bel Air.

See below info regarding one kit some of the parts were included with, please. No, they weren't, and the way the parts are laid out for the '55 Nomad makes it impractical they ever would or could be included with the '55 sedan, too.

Edited by Casey

31 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I don't think those parts were ever in the Bel Air..this will build stock or an '80s style street machine.

I could swear the "street machine" one I bought back in the day had the Nomad drag front axle. 

image.png.e05c46035cb377997746951d7a418ec0.png

Good to see this one back and yes, the box art looks great!

I built one of these many years ago (early '90's), and don't remember it being difficult at all. One change I'd have to make though is the grille is a little too upright when placed as is. It needs to have a bit more 'slant' to it to appear more like the 1:1.

12 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I built one of these many years ago (early '90's), and don't remember it being difficult at all. One change I'd have to make though is the grille is a little too upright when placed as is. It needs to have a bit more 'slant' to it to appear more like the 1:1.

Never noticed that. I bought both versions of this kit when they first appeared but have never actually finished one, though I have one I've been working "at" for years. Time to get that one out and kick it through the goalposts. Thanks for the heads-up on the grille.

I did notice that the hood has too much gap on the sides. That's easily fixed. (I'll do a tutorial when I fix mine.) 

I'm currently working on a Nomad that has some problems and I suspect the sedan kit shares some of them. 

The front pan isn't right. You don't notice this if you use the front bumper, but if running bumperless (gasser-style), the lip at the bottom of the pan needs to thinned back to almost nothing. 

The headlight rims are too thick (front to back) and so protrude too much. I think I've got an easy fix for that, too. 

The cuts in the body for the taillights leave an ugly gap at the lower corners. These need to be filled. (This is on the Nomad body--not sure if it was carried over to the sedan, too; I'll have to check.) 

1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

Where did this one come from? Did anybody know about this upcoming (re)issue or am I the only one with a surprised look on my face!

Not particularly surprising, they've slowly been working their way through all of the kits that Burkett "resurrected" in his special runs at AMT.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

AMT 1135  -  1/32 '60 Thunderbird

AMT 1136  -  1/25 '59 Chrysler Imperial

AMT 1137  -  1/25 '69 Plymouth GTX Convertible

MPC 909  -   Super Display Case Trailer

'Bout time with that Imperial kit!  I should be in for a couple.

Could the '64 Comet be on deck, I wonder?

10 hours ago, Casey said:

They were included in the last "Millennium" reissue for sure and #6671, which had the stock built up on the box top.

No, they weren't, and the way the parts are laid out for the '55 Nomad makes it impractical they ever would or could be included with the '55 sedan, too.

The Centerline wheels the '55 sedan kit (and only this kit) includes are easily the best street set available IMHO, and while the body and interior tub give off that early '80s design vibe, the kit is a good starting point for something better.

The drag axle and related suspension parts ARE included in the original 1991 Street Machine issue (#6001), but they are not chrome. The parts layout of this kit is a prime example of the fact that mold cavity plugs can be moved if need be. Not only are the drag suspension parts in that kit, the drag headers, Hilborn injection and Torq Thrust wheels are in there and chromed.

I think AMT's choice to omit these parts was a bad decision. The popularity of the gasser era of drag racing would have been good leverage to sell these kits. This could have been amazing as a retro deluxe version with all chromed drag parts, pad printed tires, color tinted windows and some new 60s style decals.

I guess I'll be taking this off my "to buy" list and sticking with the ones in my stash.

20181010_074815.jpg

20181010_074217.jpg

15 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

So now I have some questions about this reissue of the '59 Imperial. Convertible or hardtop? With or without an engine? Has this kit been previously reissued? (Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but does anybody have some answers)?

Straight reissue of an original 1959 AMT kit, was last out around 2007.   Curbside, separate hardtop, builds as a coupe or convertible.   This is the box art of the last reissue:

post-10452-0-32915500-1368143893.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

11 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Where did this one come from? Did anybody know about this upcoming (re)issue or am I the only one with a surprised look on my face!

My info is that it will be a reissue of the kit Model King restored a few years back. We have been asking for a reissue as Model King made two runs of the kit and both sold out fast. A decent little kit. Happy they are bring it back. 

My build inspired by the film 'Sin City' pretty much box stock....

IMPERIALb.JPG

IMPERIALc.JPG