Model Cars Magazine Forum

SOME CURRENT ROUND 2 INFO TODAY...

AC Norton

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, pack rat said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the kit will be molded or prepainted blue.  I'm not sure about the orange/white portions or the black pinstriping (probably decals).

The one in my pics is an earlier molded-in-grey issue painted with Tamiya lacquers to match the Heritage color scheme as close as possible.  The production kits should be more accurate color-wise.     

Was hoping for this in prepainted Gulf markings.

polar lights ford gt .jpg

Edited by magicmustang

• 4 weeks later...

A few more coming in 2018:

AMT-1088 '40 Ford Sedan

AMT -1097 1/25 1970 Chevy Corvette Coupe

AMT-1098 1/25 1966 Mercury Hardtop

AMT-1105 1/25 1969 Olds W30 442

AMT PP119 Firestone Double Pinstripe Tire Pack 

PLL-MKA30  1/25 Coca-Cola Graphics Decals

Edited by Casey

Woo-Hoo! Finally, the '40 Ford Sedan! Been waiting for this one for years! I am anxious to see how they do it up. And if it gets 6 tires or 8 tires.

I would be surprised if it isn't issued in an Original Art Series box, similar to the recent AMT '40 Ford Sedan Delivery and Coupe kits. Probably this version?:

AMT40FordSedan-vi_zpsubkjlcus.jpg

I till have a 66 Mercury from last time that I can't excited enough to build....

In which other kit are you going to find "Wrist Twist" (was that a thing in the '60s, briefly?) steering wheel parts for a Gene Winfield Reactor build?

AMT66MercuryHardTop4.jpg

The Cibie headlights are interesting, but other than that, a '66 Mercury with an axle slot though the center of the engine block is not super appealing. :mellow: This might be a good kit for the "wait a year or two" list, when it shows up on eBay with a BIN price of $14.99.

In which other kit are you going to find "Wrist Twist" (was that a thing in the '60s, briefly?) steering wheel parts for a Gene Winfield Reactor build?

The Cibie headlights are interesting, but other than that, a '66 Mercury with an axle slot though the center of the engine block is not super appealing. :mellow: This might be a good kit for the "wait a year or two" list, when it shows up on eBay with a BIN price of $14.99.

IIRC, the previous reissues of the '66 Merc didn't have the wrist twist thingy..or I didn't notice it.  The 'Countdown Series' issue was one of the first AMT kits I built as a kid. 

AMT66MercuryHardTop4.jpg

Ok, I'll give you that.  LOL.   And I have been thinking about that kit lately.  Would be a good build OOB.   Go for the details on the body and interior as possible.   Or maybe a wild custom version if there are enough parts in the box of my issue.   Thos old kits did build up fairly nicely.  I will say that for them. And I think I have about $5 in mine from last time...

Ok, I'll give you that.  LOL.   And I have been thinking about that kit lately.  Would be a good build OOB.   Go for the details on the body and interior as possible.   Or maybe a wild custom version if there are enough parts in the box of my issue.   Thos old kits did build up fairly nicely.  I will say that for them. And I think I have about $5 in mine from last time...

Yes, perfect slammer or curbside build material, this one. The above instruction sheet page is from the '00s issue under RC2, so it appears to have most (maybe all the same?) custom extras as it did back in the day. Might make a good CBP topic, too...

Well, I've been casually eyeballing 40 sedans on eBay for awhile now, and was inching closer to pulling the trigger. Would still like to have an original issue, if I can find one for a decent price, but this fresh edition will work for me, especially with the usual Round2 goodies thrown in.

I hope AMT re-issues the 40 Ford Sedan in its original box art.  Maybe they'll do the "regular" issue in that box, and the "Art Box" with all the extras in something like the 40 Coupe. With art from the 1970s to fit the bigger box format.  I found one of the originals at a flea market a few months ago, molded in light blue plastic.

The '66 Mercury would make a good "work car" circa 1986, when it was 20 yrs. old.  With lots of dents, rust and torn upholstery.  In 2017 one of those would probably be either restored or scrapped.

I'm guessing the Double White Stripe tires are the same as the tires in the Barris Surf Woody.

amt-1940ford1.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omission

The Firestone Double Pinstripe Tires will work well on non-performance versions of. 1970 and 1971 cars. The Performance cars with factory whitewalls got '70 series pin whites. My Dad's '70 Lincoln Continental and my Grandparent's '71 Mercury Marquis had those double pinstripe tires. I would love to get a set for a '70 Impala. LTD, or Monte Carlo among others.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

AMT66MercuryHardTop4.jpg

I seem to recall a real custom '66 Cyclone convertible built with that wrist twist steering. Was it built by Alexander Brothers? 

I had to Google it, and yup, there's a YouTuve video featuring a Mercury: https://youtu.be/PWWYkxQCFfQ

I was surfing around the Kustomorama.com 'site last night which is where I read about the Reactor using Wrist-Twist steering, but the "handles" look a bit different:

Reactor-pebble-beach-concours-delegance-

If if only for future reference, it's good to know that even an oddball kit like the AMT '66 Mercury Hardtop has something unique to offer.

Edited by Casey

IIRC, the previous reissues of the '66 Merc didn't have the wrist twist thingy..or I didn't notice it.  The 'Countdown Series' issue was one of the first AMT kits I built as a kid. 

I have the 2004 reissue with the aqua car on the box, it's in that one. Wasn't in the Countdown issue.

I have the 2004 reissue with the aqua car on the box, it's in that one. Wasn't in the Countdown issue.

Ok..I have the '04 reissue but haven't built it..I did build the Countdown one..but that was a looooong time ago.  Also found a built original issue a few years ago on eBay.

I got your wild custom ,, but I didn't use some of the parts in the box. ;)

112 1212

112 1211

I seem to recall a real custom '66 Cyclone convertible built with that wrist twist steering. Was it built by Alexander Brothers? 

AMT's '66 Cyclone kit, like their Park Lane, had an option of the Wrist Twist steering. I don't if there was a real Cyclone with the feature or not. But I wouldn't be surprised. The Wrist Twist was a feature Ford Motor Company was seriously contemplating of offering was a factory option in the mid-60's. Why it never made to market, I don't know? It may have had something to do with new steering wheel safety standards coming in about that time? Ford did build a few test cars with the Wrist Twist in the mid-60's. Watching Ford's video from the time, I'm not sure if I would have wanted feature. It didn't look all that convenient to use to me.