Model Cars Magazine Forum

'83 Chevrolet Citation X-11

echoxrayniner

Earlier this year I bought the 2002 re-release of the Citation which I intended to build mostly cause... it's such a nice little timepiece of a terrible past, but for some reason it just ended up getting lost in the mail, so I ponied up another 40 bucks to buy a second one and ended up making a '80 Citation X-11 with it. Then suddenly three months after, the original arrives after all. They're good little kits even with the super odd lowrider choice(seriously, who in the absolute hell would drive a early eighties rust-coffin AND turn it into a lowrider? All the trim would pop off like Mr. Potato Head parts upon the first bounce!). A lot better than the annual dredges MPC was shoving out the door in the same era.

Figured I'd give the bumpers the body color, makes it look somewhat sportier in my opinion. And stole some Cowl Injection decals from a Chevelle kit(which happen to be same shade of gold as the X-11 decals, huzzah!) to mimic the High-Output V6 emblem there normally would be.

1983chevycitationx11-23.jpg?w=1000&h=
1983chevycitationx11-20.jpg?w=1000&h=
1983chevycitationx11-14.jpg?w=1000&h=
1983chevycitationx11-6.jpg?w=1000&h=
1983chevycitationx11-2.jpg?w=1000&h=

Good looking models of one of the most forgettable cars in the history of the universe. I always thought the stylists did a good job with it, making it immediately recognizable as a Chebby, with clean lines and nice proportions. :D

I remember that GM proudly bragged they'd spent something on the order of 3.5 BILLION dollars developing the X platform, and bought a fleet of Fiat 128s and other front-wheel-drive cars to dissect as part of their R&D.

I also remember being profoundly disappointed after driving one of the first production versions, and often wondered aloud WHERE they'd put that $3.5B, as it didn't seem to show in the quality or performance of the car.

And again, in what has become GM corporate style, known problems (this time in the rear brakes) were swept under the rug, put into production cars, and resulted in safety issues, accidents, lawsuits (including a suit brought by NHTSA) and recalls...250,000 vehicles recalled, and really should have been closer to a million.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Your two builds really capture the appearance of the 1:1 Citation. As Ace-Garageguy pointed out these vehicles in the real world had their short comings. I drove a new X-11 with a manual  on two occasions. The Torque Steer when shifting under hard acceleration was down right dangerous. Going up a long on ramp I shifted into 3rd and the car almost changed lanes on me. You could be driving at 50 mph plus and feel the steering wheel turn left on acceleration and right on deceleration.      

So I'm not the only one who has purchased the above kit. I've always liked looks of the Citation's Club Coupe body style. The hatchbacks, not so much. Revell/Monogram's Citation is nice, but. It's a bit of mishmash at it's not correct in a way that it can built as pure factory "stock" Citation. Beautiful job on both Citations NJ. I impressed. They may have been crappy little cars. But, I still like the looks of them.

Edited by unclescott58

First off -Very nice build!!!, secondly, I never cared for this car when it was around, but now I kinda think it looks pretty sweet! -has to be the way you built it......you sold me, i'm gonna find one and build it!

X2.  I've had my hands on this kit a couple times at a hobby store (I don't know why LOL), but always put it back.  Next time I go there I'll have to pick one up, if it's still there anyways.  Love how your's turned out, both of them actually.