Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 Jeep J10 Honcho

I finally put the wraps on this one today.  When I started this build back in May(?) I had planned on making it a plain old J10.  I found a nice shade Rustoleum makes called Rustic Mist (a metallic brown), so I thought I'd give it a try and picked up a can.  After getting the body all primed and prepped, I shot some color on it.  While it did have a good shine to it, when spraying it spat out a few random dark blotches here and there.  I wasn't too happy about it, and thought of stripping the paint off and trying again, but, after a little time decided I'd just let it be as most of those little darker splotches were located on the passenger side and in the engine compartment.  Well, fast forward about three months and the paint still hadn't fully cured yet and was slightly tacky.  So much for the "fast drying" that is claimed on the can.  During all that time waiting for the paint to dry I was becoming less and less satisfied with it.  Every day I'd look at the box art and that Honcho look really began pulling at me, enough so that I pulled the trigger and stripped the paint.  Color choice was easy as I love these rigs in black with orange stripes, just as the box art shows.  I went with Duplicolor this time, and as always it didn't let me down.

I faced a setback with the decals as well.  After getting one side on, all the transparent areas silvered pretty bad....ugh.  Luckily, Revell had goofed and put two sets of decals in the box.  To overcome this, while tedious and time consuming, I carefully trimmed out all of the clear sections of the decals.  As a result, obviously, with so much area cut out it was not an easy task getting them on the body.  I think it took me over an hour per side.  I should note, I didn't cut out the Honcho lettering but after the decals had fully dried I carefully brushed on some acrylic black on them.

Paint and decals aside, the rest of the build went smooth and the kit pretty much just falls together.  I made a body lift to clear the BFG's that were sourced from the F150 Raptor snapper.  Wheels are parts box finds, as are the lights on the roll bar.  The ones in the kit are huge and look like Mickey Mouse ears to me lol.  For a cleaner look, I also removed the fire extinguisher from the roll bar, as well as all the lights on the brush guard.  Under the hood there isn't much, so I made a heater box and added my usual wiring.

It's not my best work, but still like how it turned out.  Sorry about some dust particles in some of the pics, black is so much fun! :rolleyes:   Whew, sorry for all the rambling, on to the pics......

2v2uVj4aLxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uVjVgGxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uVjytCxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uVjyYLxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uVjgGnxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uVjjgFxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uVj8BhxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uV82QVxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uVj88WxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uV8ozgxAKN8F.jpg

2v2uVjq2VxAKN8F.jpg

• 3 weeks later...