• Announcements

• Site Upgrade   11/18/2017

The Forums will be down, Friday, November 24th starting 8 AM PST for upgrade.We'll probably be down until 1PM PST, but it might be longer. I'm doing a major forum software upgrade, so I expect the forums to operate somewhat differently when we come back online. 

Lil' Hot Dogger Show Rod

47 posts in this topic

Posted

I started a new build, which maybe wasn't the best idea since I have a few (ok, maybe more than a few!) current projects already, but the next show I'm going to has a Show Rod theme class and I thought it would be fun to participate in that. My son gave me an AMT Lil' Hot Dogger kit last Christmas, which is perfect for this.

I'm planning to just go Box Stock with it, which will give me enough time to finish it without having to go crazy on it, and I'll have an Out of Box entry for future contests.

Here's the kit. I borrowed the picture from the internet, so if it's yours, I apologize!
IMG_8116-vi.jpg

I went with a flat red, with some flat black wash underneath on the bare plastic to show off the wood grain. Alcald aluminum for the screen...
IMG_8124-vi.jpg

I masked off the bone before painting, so it's just bare plastic.
IMG_8126-vi.jpg

IMG_8127-vi.jpg

Posted (edited)

The chassis is a "candy" red. I originally tried to use Alclad Candy Ruby Red with their silver base, but it was too dark and wouldn't have looked good with the red dog house. So I tried the Gold candy Alcald. It was interesting, but I just didn't like it. I finally went with Tamiya clear red over the Alclad silver base and Omni clear and it's what I was looking for to begin with.
IMG_8121-vi.jpg
IMG_8122-vi.jpg
IMG_8123-vi.jpg
IMG_8128-vi.jpg
IMG_8129-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

Posted

The tires need some serious reshaping! Going out of box, I'll need to use them, though.
IMG_8131-vi.jpg

I mounted one on my lathe to see what could be done. I think it's going to work.
IMG_8132-vi.jpg
IMG_8130-vi.jpg

Posted

Art.... looking good Brother!!! I am totally digging thus buuld.its going to be killer when finished.  Looking forward to more of your awesome work.

Posted

Built that one myself last year, also box stock. Fun project,  and I am sure this will look fantastic. 

Posted

Huge improvement on the tires Art.

Posted

looking really good...colors are fantastic!

Posted (edited)

I'm looking forward to seeing your skills and always meticulous approach to a box-stock show rod build (of all things - who would of thunk it?). The slicks are an indication of a crispn and precise build stylr that we don't often see in this subject matter. Props to your son for providing us with this change-up from your bench!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Posted

Thank, guys! We'll see how it turns out. It's a fun change of pace.

Posted

those show rods are so much fun to build !  the clear red over the silver base is a great color choice it really pops .

what a huge improvement to the tires

Posted

Nice start. The candy red frame looks great. Keep up the good work on a fun build.

Posted

Art......What can I say......just that you can build anything and have it turn out GREAT!!!!!.......I cant wait to se this build at the up-coming show at the NHRA Museum......you got another up-date for us?:)

Posted

those show rods are so much fun to build !  the clear red over the silver base is a great color choice it really pops .

what a huge improvement to the tires

Thanks, Jeff!

Nice start. The candy red frame looks great. Keep up the good work on a fun build.

Hey Bob, thank you!

Posted

Art......What can I say......just that you can build anything and have it turn out GREAT!!!!!.......I cant wait to se this build at the up-coming show at the NHRA Museum......you got another up-date for us?:)

Thanks, my friend. Look forward to seeing you next month and park this next to your show rods.

Posted

So sweet looking like the way the red laid out.

Following with interest 

Posted

I like what you have done so far and those tires look soooo much better.

Posted

That thing looks hilarious - love the paint and tire work so far! 

Posted

Looking good Art !  Can't wait to see this next month at the NHRA Museum 

Posted

Thanks for the comments guys!

Been getting a little more done heading into the show at the NHRA Museum this weekend.

Painted the roof wood color. I used the Teresi method that John tutored me on years ago. Worked like a charm again! Now I just am deciding whether or not to clear it. The clear will really pull out the color, but will contrast against the dog house, which can be a minus or a plus. We'll see what happens...

The undercoat:
IMG_8133-vi.jpg
IMG_8134-vi.jpg

IMG_8136-vi.jpg
IMG_8137-vi.jpg
IMG_8138-vi.jpg
IMG_8139-vi.jpg

Posted (edited)

I also did the gauges. This was tough, because I had to do it after the house was assembled and painted. It was tricky to get in there, but it was harder getting a picture than doing it. It looks pretty decent in person, but I couldn't really capture it.

IMG_8144-vi.jpg
IMG_8142-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

Posted

Got all the Alclad done, so now the motor is coming together...
IMG_8145-vi.jpg
IMG_8146-vi.jpg
IMG_8152-vi.jpg
IMG_8154-vi.jpg
IMG_8155-vi.jpg
IMG_8153-vi.jpg
IMG_8151-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Posted

Very nice! It's amazing what superlative finish work will do for a simple kit like that. 

Posted

Great color choices!!  I like that kit so much I offered a repro of it years ago. It was laser cut from plastic sheet....you used a Lil Mixer for parts. 

HOTDOG00.JPG

Posted

Very nice! It's amazing what superlative finish work will do for a simple kit like that. 

Thank you, Dave!

Posted

Great color choices!!  I like that kit so much I offered a repro of it years ago. It was laser cut from plastic sheet....you used a Lil Mixer for parts. 

HOTDOG00.JPG

That's pretty cool, Dave! That Little Mixer must have had a lot of similar parts.