Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lil' Hot Dogger Show Rod

Art Laski

I started a new build, which maybe wasn't the best idea since I have a few (ok, maybe more than a few!) current projects already, but the next show I'm going to has a Show Rod theme class and I thought it would be fun to participate in that. My son gave me an AMT Lil' Hot Dogger kit last Christmas, which is perfect for this.

I'm planning to just go Box Stock with it, which will give me enough time to finish it without having to go crazy on it, and I'll have an Out of Box entry for future contests.

Here's the kit. I borrowed the picture from the internet, so if it's yours, I apologize!
IMG_8116-vi.jpg

I went with a flat red, with some flat black wash underneath on the bare plastic to show off the wood grain. Alcald aluminum for the screen...
IMG_8124-vi.jpg

I masked off the bone before painting, so it's just bare plastic.
IMG_8126-vi.jpg

IMG_8127-vi.jpg

The chassis is a "candy" red. I originally tried to use Alclad Candy Ruby Red with their silver base, but it was too dark and wouldn't have looked good with the red dog house. So I tried the Gold candy Alcald. It was interesting, but I just didn't like it. I finally went with Tamiya clear red over the Alclad silver base and Omni clear and it's what I was looking for to begin with.
IMG_8121-vi.jpg
IMG_8122-vi.jpg
IMG_8123-vi.jpg
IMG_8128-vi.jpg
IMG_8129-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

I'm looking forward to seeing your skills and always meticulous approach to a box-stock show rod build (of all things - who would of thunk it?). The slicks are an indication of a crispn and precise build stylr that we don't often see in this subject matter. Props to your son for providing us with this change-up from your bench!

Edited by Bernard Kron

those show rods are so much fun to build !  the clear red over the silver base is a great color choice it really pops .

what a huge improvement to the tires

Thanks, Jeff!

Nice start. The candy red frame looks great. Keep up the good work on a fun build.

Hey Bob, thank you!

Art......What can I say......just that you can build anything and have it turn out GREAT!!!!!.......I cant wait to se this build at the up-coming show at the NHRA Museum......you got another up-date for us?:)

Thanks, my friend. Look forward to seeing you next month and park this next to your show rods.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Been getting a little more done heading into the show at the NHRA Museum this weekend.

Painted the roof wood color. I used the Teresi method that John tutored me on years ago. Worked like a charm again! Now I just am deciding whether or not to clear it. The clear will really pull out the color, but will contrast against the dog house, which can be a minus or a plus. We'll see what happens...

The undercoat:
IMG_8133-vi.jpg
IMG_8134-vi.jpg

IMG_8136-vi.jpg
IMG_8137-vi.jpg
IMG_8138-vi.jpg
IMG_8139-vi.jpg

I also did the gauges. This was tough, because I had to do it after the house was assembled and painted. It was tricky to get in there, but it was harder getting a picture than doing it. It looks pretty decent in person, but I couldn't really capture it.

IMG_8144-vi.jpg
IMG_8142-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski