Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball 2018 Theme Poll

Jantrix

2018 Cannonball Run theme poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the theme for next years Cannonball Run CBP.

• 4 cylinders ONLY
    • Inliners. 4, 6, 8, or 24. inline engines only
    • Pro-Touring
    • Oddballs
    • Vans - to include panel trucks but not sedan deliveries

The MPC Dodge Crazy Van which I was intending to build when Van's got voted #1 has a drag option with two V8's with manual transmissions mounted side by side connected to the rear axle by chain (from an engineering PoV the setup has a lot of problems but I won't go into it here).
I was thinking of still using the kit but with a pair of sixes replacing the V8s.

No matter.  I have plenty of other ideas, at least one of which is sensible, roadworthy and will fit under a stock bonnet.

This truck - posted above also - has two Cummins inline 6 diesels. So, they are parallel, still inline...It seems like a good idea. Wouldn't take much, really, just scratchbuilding two eninges and then a frame to accomodate the two eninges plus a way to adapt the two engines to one transmission, and also a really big gas tank.

I'm still thinking of combining some of the categories since my brain was already working towards that.

002-1970-dodge-sweptline-cummins-diesel-engines.jpg

actually  that is a different truck than above has no exhaustvexitvin front fender. Rims are different. Just several differences. 

looks good though .

gotcha.

This truck - posted above also - has two Cummins inline 6 diesels. So, they are parallel, still inline...It seems like a good idea. Wouldn't take much, really, just scratchbuilding two eninges and then a frame to accomodate the two eninges plus a way to adapt the two engines to one transmission, and also a really big gas tank.

I'm still thinking of combining some of the categories since my brain was already working towards that.

002-1970-dodge-sweptline-cummins-diesel-engines.jpg

actually  that is a different truck than above has no exhaustvexitvin front fender. Rims are different. Just several differences. 

looks good though .

Some more ideas have occurred to me.

Heller 1/24 Blower Bently with scratchbuilt independent suspension, 4wd and at least two turbos.

MPC '75 Dart on the AMT '71 Duster chassis with a slant six.

Two inline engines with the driver between them.  One driving the front wheels and one the rear.  Four wheel steering.

Some more ideas have occurred to me.

Heller 1/24 Blower Bently with scratchbuilt independent suspension, 4wd and at least two turbos.

MPC '75 Dart on the AMT '71 Duster chassis with a slant six.

Two inline engines with the driver between them.  One driving the front wheels and one the rear.  Four wheel steering.

What about a Twini Mini? Slap a couple turbos on...

E75B6D4C-BDBA-4456-A187-49F11CF76078.jpeg

Parts have started arriving for my build. Was looking and planning last night, and my initial idea may not work. Still going to run a littlew further with it though, because if I can make it work, it will be absolutely mental. 

And if not, I have a backup plan.

So far, using parts from five kits, plus some aftermarket. And if I have to switch to plan B, there will be minimum of 6 kits involved. 

It's no surprise that you'd be the one to ask this. The answer is no. No limit. But all the engines must be in line:D

To me this means that when viewed from above the crankshafts of all the engines must be in a straight line.  So you could have a twin engined mini but the engines would have to be side by side and it would be rather wide.

Jant will clarify when he next checks in.

Guys, sorry to hold this up. My country palace has very limited internet and the house PC isn't set up yet.

To the question at hand. I'd no idea it was going to be this complicated. So rather than go through individual questions of this is legal and this is not, please disregard my previous comment to Zenrat, posted above.

There will be no restrictions on how you use the in-line engines as long as you don't physically join the crankcases to create a non-inline engine. If you want them side by side, one behind the other, one upside down and backwards, it's all good. I figure on a challenge like this one, MORE creative freedom is the key to keeping folks inspired and interested. Sound good?

I was thinking the same thing about a rotary.  My vote would be yes cuz all the rotars are technically inline. Front and rear motors would be ok too based on each motor has the cylinders inline.  As long as no motors used has cylinders in a vee or horizontally opposed (or radial layout like airplanes used) than I see it as ok.

What say you Rob?