Model Cars Magazine Forum

Winning Ford GT's

Peter Lombardo

Peter, Rex and Gary...Beautiful models!!!!! I've seen Rex's stuff at Road Race Model Cars forum recently and been aware of some of Gary's stuff for a while. Now Peter shows some at least as good.

I have a collection of them too. Most of my early builds from the 1960s were damaged to varying degrees in an earthquake in 1971 (that I just watched images of the damage a few blocks from my then home that day and another 23 years later on a BBC show via Netflix). I still have most of them stashed away in boxes with intent to restore all of them and add new ones. None are intact and on display these days.

I haven't built a Ford GT since that quake, but have been feeling some inspiration lately. In fact I recently bought a Fujimi 1075 1968 version and have been hunting parts to full detail it. Harold Bradford's kit looks to be the best, but I haven't been willing to spend the roughly $100US to buy one of them. Too many other fish to fry to throw that much resources into just one model.

For full detail builds from the Fujimi kits, I perceive the difficult part to be the gear box. Engines are pretty EZ. Headers aren't that bad, but I've been having trouble finding 1.75 to 2mm solder difficult to find lately.

6.      This is chassis XGT1 also a Mark IIa car (crazy numbering system by Shelby, don’t you think?  All over the place) This car did not complete the race (DNF) out on lap 81.  It is the second of the two GT40’s entered by Alan Mann Racing of the UK, and obviously with its number 8, it was the last of the 8 Factory GT40’s entered.  This car was driven by John Whitmore and Frank Gardner.  I did this car for two reasons, I wanted race cars from all three teams entering “Factory” GT40’s for 1966 and I like the yellow and black stripe paint scheme better than the number 7 car which was silver with a flat black hood.  Fujimi GT40 kit, after-market decals from Renaissance with rattle-can paint cleared with Future.  This car is owned by the Simeone Foundation Museum in Philly who also own the prototype (the very first of the 6 examples of the famous race car) Cobra Daytona Coupe car, the only one built entirely in the Shelby Factory in California and Ford GT40 Mark IV, chassis J8, which also raced in the 1967 Le Mans but DNF.  A-XD-nVMMRjbZn95dzmXOhN2hPvegNpmIvxgn4TtqfMgmQl6wgkE9FvRnDkHY8uR7aaZo06ED6ybzB3F

I visited the Simone Museum last summer, saw some serious hardware. :D

2v2uCm9KvxfjhLg.jpg

2v2uCm3u8xfjhLg.jpg

Peter, Rex and Gary...Beautiful models!!!!! I've seen Rex's stuff at Road Race Model Cars forum recently and been aware of some of Gary's stuff for a while. Now Peter shows some at least as good.

I have a collection of them too. Most of my early builds from the 1960s were damaged to varying degrees in an earthquake in 1971 (that I just watched images of the damage a few blocks from my then home that day and another 23 years later on a BBC show via Netflix). I still have most of them stashed away in boxes with intent to restore all of them and add new ones. None are intact and on display these days.

I haven't built a Ford GT since that quake, but have been feeling some inspiration lately. In fact I recently bought a Fujimi 1075 1968 version and have been hunting parts to full detail it. Harold Bradford's kit looks to be the best, but I haven't been willing to spend the roughly $100US to buy one of them. Too many other fish to fry to throw that much resources into just one model.

For full detail builds from the Fujimi kits, I perceive the difficult part to be the gear box. Engines are pretty EZ. Headers aren't that bad, but I've been having trouble finding 1.75 to 2mm solder difficult to find lately.

Not sure which kit of Brads you are referring to.  The engine kit is about $30.  There is always one listed on Ebay by some trying to mark it up 200% to see if anyone bites.

Ok, here is my Ford GT collection so far.  Now lest you think I am taking sides on the "which came first, the chicken or the egg" discussion, I would have included the Lola MK6 GT if I had mine finished.

I have a few questions.  Is the Mustang I the diecast and if not where did you get it?  Is the #15 or #71 the old Mini Exotics kit?  Is the #1 with the fins the Joker kit or did you modify the Fujumi kit?  Is the #6 the Thunder Valley and is the 2017 FORD GT the snap kit with decals?

Edited by vamach1

I have a few questions.  Is the Mustang I the diecas and if not where did you get it?  Is the #15 or #71 the old Mini Exotics kit?  Is the #1 with the fins the Joker kit or did you modify the Fujumi kit?  Is the #6 the Thunder Valley and is the 2017 FORD GT the snap kit with decals?

Rex,

The Mustang 1 is the Automodello  diecast now out of production and very expensive.

The #15 is the is the Monogram slot car body narrowed 3/16 on a Fujimi chassis and interior.

The #71 is the Mini Exotics version. 

The #1 1965 LM long nose is the Joker.  

The #6 is the Thunder Valley

The #9 is the Le Mans Miniatures 

The 2017 Ford GT is the Carrera Slot Car.

Edited by Gramps46

Rex,

The Mustang 1 is the Automodello  diecast now out of production and very expensive.

The #15 is the is the Monogram slot car body narrowed 3/16 on a Fujimi chassis and interior.

The #71 is the Mini Exotics version. 

The #1 1965 LM long nose is the Joker.  

The #6 is the Thunder Valley

The #9 is the Le Mans Miniatures 

The 2017 Ford GT is the Carrera Slot Car.

I was pretty close.  Thanks

Peter, absolutely fantastic contribution with great builds of my favourite sports racing car ever (I've been a fan for more than 50 years (since I had the Matchbox Ford GT), have several books on the GT 40 and a lot of still unbuilt model kits (Fujimi, Revell, IMC,Arii/LS and the Renaissance Mk IV and a nice WIX die-cast in 1/24 of a ´66 Mk II).

Kudos also for your development and race history - I'm sure that not everyone did know all the facts that you mentioned.

By the way, in 1984 and 1985 the Porsche team of Reinhold Jöst won the Le Mans24 hours with the very same chassis (as did 1075/P in 1968 and 1969).