Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/24 Jeep CJ-7? - Hood/Cowl

crowe-t

I'm not sure if this the right section for this. :unsure:

I am starting a Monogram 1/24 Jeep CJ-7.  It's a nice kit although it's not the best fitting kit I've built.  I attached a quick picture I took  with the hood and cowl just placed on.  It's not glued.

The hood has a hinge, basically there to keep the hood in place when it's opened to show the motor.  The hinge is toy-like but most likely there so the hood doesn't fall off.

In order to use the hinge, the hood(hinge) has to be attached under the cowl 1st and then the cowl gets glued in place.  The rear of the hood's hinge goes behind the firewall so the hood can't be attached if the cowl is glued in place before painting.  I guess this is OK but the cowl/hood needs to be glued in place after all the parts are painted.  I don't think it would be good to tray and paint the body with the hood in place.

I'm thinking of using epoxy to glue the cowl in place after it's painted.  I wouldn't use styrene cement on painted body parts.  

I could just not use the hood hinge and glue the cowl in place and paint the body as I would any other car.  

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

IMG_8781.JPG

Edited by crowe-t

I painted everything unassembled , seemed to work okay. Test fit it several times after you primer it before you spray color to ensure the hood sits down on the fenders correctly, they can be a bit touchy sometimes and need a little sanding to fit properly.

I painted everything unassembled , seemed to work okay. Test fit it several times after you primer it before you spray color to ensure the hood sits down on the fenders correctly, they can be a bit touchy sometimes and need a little sanding to fit properly.

What type of glue did you use to attach the cowl after everything was painted?