Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Desoto Fireflite Convertible

StevenGuthmiller

I recently got a wild hair & started thinking about an old Johan Desoto Fireflite that I had in my stash that I started some modifications on years ago to begin changing it from a 4 door hard top into a convertible.

I realized that there was a possibility that many of the AMT '57 Chrysler 300 parts might work in attempting a full detail transformation.

So I drug out the two kits & started checking things out & found that nearly all of the Chrysler parts would nearly "drop in" to the '59 Desoto body.

I was initially pretty excited!

The Desoto never had an interior which was a big reason why I had never proceeded with this kit, but with some fairly extensive modifications, the Chrysler interior should fit perfectly into the Desoto dimensionally. 

This might be a little beyond my current skill set & attention span, but I think it might be worth the effort.

It looks as if the full chassis would fit relatively easily & a transplant of the engine bay shouldn't be too difficult.

The issues start arising with the interior, which will require a complete make over of the dash board & a revamping of the door & seat patterns, but the biggest stumbling block seems to be the engine.

The Chrysler Hemi is out, as it was not available in '59 & I'm having a tough time coming up with a period correct Mopar engine that would do justice to all of the other detailed parts.

The only one that I can conjure up in my mind would be the AMT '58 Plymouth engine, but I was hoping to find an acceptable engine with the dual 4 barrel intake.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Steve

DSCN6274

It looks like you have the basic De Soto body pretty well sorted out. On the engine you might look at any of the later MoPar kits with the 383/440 engine that could easily be made to look like the De Soto engine. As for the 2-4 set up I think any inline 2-4 set up from say even a Hemi could be modified. I did something on this order on the AMT '58 Plymouth and used the 2-4 set up from the AMT '57 Chrysler 300C. This included the unique air cleaners also so it looked very real in that application.  

I did something on this order on the AMT '58 Plymouth and used the 2-4 set up from the AMT '57 Chrysler 300C. This included the unique air cleaners also so it looked very real in that application.  

That had entered my mind as a solution, but the '57 300 air cleaners are incorrect for a '59 2x4 set up.

I suppose the next thing to try would be the '58 Belvedere engine with the '57 300 intake & an old Johan inline dual 4 bbl air cleaner from the '62 300 kit.

That might be about the only option.

Steve

Steve, I can't wait to see more! LOVE Desotos of this era, and that '57 300 should work quite well as a good platform.

As far as those air cleaners------perhaps you could cut off the "horns" on the '57's air cleaners, and line up the air cleaners together like those '62's. The shape won't be 100% correct, but close enough to be very convincing. ;)

As far as those air cleaners------perhaps you could cut off the "horns" on the '57's air cleaners, and line up the air cleaners together like those '62's. The shape won't be 100% correct, but close enough to be very convincing. ;)

I thought about that as well, but I do have a couple of extra Johan '62 Chrysler/'60 Desoto air cleaners that I could utilize.

If they would fit without too much trouble, I could go with one of those.

Steve

Check out these threads. Looks like there may be some parts here that you maybe able to use that these guys are working on. I have been waiting to see if & when some of this will be made available myself. Perhaps you can coontact them if there is something you can use. 

Sorry I screwed up pasting the 2nd thread, but you can now view it here anyway

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/124241-1958-plymouth-318-poly-head-3d-printed-engine-finished-71317/

Check out these threads. Looks like there may be some parts here that you maybe able to use that these guys are working on. I have been waiting to see if & when some of this will be made available myself. Perhaps you can coontact them if there is something you can use. 

Sorry I screwed up pasting the 2nd thread, but you can now view it here anyway

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/124241-1958-plymouth-318-poly-head-3d-printed-engine-finished-71317/

Thanks John, but this thread depicts a 318 engine.

The Desoto dual quad engine was a 383 in '59.

Steve

The only suggestion that I have pertains to the TorqueFlite : be sure to use that one that comes with the Chrysler 300's Hemi , as it's the correct , pre-1962 version ( A-488 ; those were cast iron , and the parking drum on the tailshaft cinches it ) .

Also , pay attention to the rocker arm covers : a Road Draft Tube and a breather without a hose / port are required for any pre-1962 engine .

Or you could use the full detail chassis, but leave the hood closed. That means you'd only have to worry about the engine view from below, and it would fit right into your curbside collection.

The big issue will be the interior, mainly the dashboard.   I looked at a few dashboards that are quite different...  '58 Plymouth,  '60 Plymouth are both different shapes.  How is the '59 Chrysler dashboard shape wise?

Thanks John, but this thread depicts a 318 engine.

The Desoto dual quad engine was a 383 in '59.

Steve

I know it is a 318, but I thought the carbs & possibly the air cleaner(s) would work. I now see that Mr Obsessive has already contributed to this thread & as he was instrumental in the 318 threads I'm sure he would have pointed you in that direction if it was appropriate. Others have already have made the same suggestions I thought of so I guess I'm not any help:( 

I know it is a 318, but I thought the carbs & possibly the air cleaner(s) would work. I now see that Mr Obsessive has already contributed to this thread & as he was instrumental in the 318 threads I'm sure he would have pointed you in that direction if it was appropriate. Others have already have made the same suggestions I thought of so I guess I'm not any help:( 

Any help is appreciated John.

This will be a drawn out project that will require a lot of ideas.

I only thought that a solution available in plastic would be much easier than delving into the 3-D printing realm.

There are a lot of Mopar kit in line dual quad intakes out there.

I just need to find one that will be compatible with what ever basic engine that I decide to use.

Steve 

Or you could use the full detail chassis, but leave the hood closed. That means you'd only have to worry about the engine view from below, and it would fit right into your curbside collection.

The big issue will be the interior, mainly the dashboard.   I looked at a few dashboards that are quite different...  '58 Plymouth,  '60 Plymouth are both different shapes.  How is the '59 Chrysler dashboard shape wise?

You're right Tom.

The interior will require the most modification.

I think that I can come up with a solution for the 300 seats & the door panels can be basically ground smooth & reconfigured, but the dash will require some extensive work.

The overall shape of the 300 dash looks pretty close to correct, but the gauge cluster will need to be ground out & replaced with a chrome bar with small circular gauges.

The lower part of the dash will just need to be smoothed out & appropriate knobs & buttons added.

Probably the most difficult part will be the speedo face.

Not sure how to replicate that.

The steering wheel will need to be rebuilt as well.

The '59 Imperial dash might be a candidate as well.

I've also been eyeing the '59 Ford dash, although the gauge cluster area looks to be too narrow.

At this point, I think that the best I can do is get close.

Steve

1959-desoto-firesweep-convertible-dash.j

I'm doing the same conversion (as a 2-door hardtop) and I'm using a '59 Dodge dash. It's a bit narrow but the shape is close enough to modify into the DeSoto version.

Steven, how are you handling modifying the tailfins so they extend to the new door jamb?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-DESOTO-FIRESWEEP-FIREDOME-ADVENTURER-DASH-CLUSTER-SPEEDOMETER-NICE-1017-/112607935318?hash=item1a37f4bb56:g:x4UAAOSw9hdZ53ud&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-DeSoto-12V-Speedometer-Fuel-Temp-Dash-Gauge-Cluster-Firedome-Fireflite-/282432545318?hash=item41c24aa226:g:cCQAAOSw4CFY7~ud&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

This photo might be good enough to copy and reduce the speedo to scale.

Here's two clusters for sale on eBay right now.  Go to the auctions, both have multiple photos... or if you really want to do it right, the second one is only $120!

Edited by Tom Geiger

This photo might be good enough to copy and reduce the speedo to scale.

Here's two clusters for sale on eBay right now.  Go to the auctions, both have multiple photos... or if you really want to do it right, the second one is only $120!

Thanks for the photos Tom.

They will be helpful.

I think I'll pass on buying one though! :)

Steve

keep working at it, i'm looking forward to the finished product...

Don't look for much progress anytime soon.

This will probably be a project that I will fiddle around with over the course of a year or 2.

I have a lot of other kits that are screaming for my attention as is.

I just thought that this was worth exploring a little.

Steve