Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Shelby G.T. 350 convertible

retriever

It's not commonly known that Shelby American built  four G.T. 350 convertibles for '66.  Each of the four convertibles was a different color--green, yellow, blue, and red.

The '66 G.T. 350 convertibles were equipped identically to the fastbacks, except the rear quarter panel brake-cooling scoops were not functional because the convertible top mechanism interfered with the ducting.

All four '66 G.T. 350 convertibles survive today--three are complete cars while the fourth is disassembled and in storage.

For many years, it was rumored that there were six convertibles. However, paperwork discovered by SAAC proves that only four were built.

Funny that no white ones were built to match the fastbacks.......

I'm building mine using the Monogram '65 Mustang convertible as the base.  I've added the Shelby hood and side scoops together with the '66 Shelby grille.  The build is almost complete. I just have to add exterior door handles, build the rollbar and paint the folded top white.  The wheels came from the Monogram Cobrs kit and are pretty close to the real thing.

000_0001.thumb.jpg.153a7d7625e31b5201848000_0005.thumb.jpg.7a42cee41dc6c704a0deb000_0003.thumb.jpg.f3a7b82daa8f338d61708

For those Shelby experts, I made a mistake which it's too late to correct.

These cars had the side emblems deleted, which I should have done.  Too late now!

Here's the actual car.:

1966-ford-mustang-013-1.thumb.jpg.f52b58

Just a little more work and she'll be ready for the display case.

Tony

That one is coming together nicely I built a red on black convertible years ago, and I have a '65 fastback under construction, That's the wonderful thing about that series of Mustangs from Monogram. You can mix and match parts rom one kit or another to get various variants.  I may have to do one of those.

I might be mistaken, but I think I read somewhere that Shelby originally planned to build 12 convertibles. From what I read that they still had the VIN#'s for those cars and in the 80's or 90's they completed those cars from NOS parts as 1966 models. Again not sure where I read it. Possibly Super Ford magazine or one of the Mustang magazines.

Dennis

Beverly Hills Mustangs redid 12 regular convertibles as GT350 clones in the 1980's but they were never assigned a Shelby VIN so essentially they are no different than any other clones.

Wasn't sure. Thought I seen it somewhere, memory isn't as good as it used to be. Ha Ha!!!!

Dennis

Great looking build. You mentioned the Mustang side emblems that were deleted on the Shelbys, by just painting over them as you did they really aren't noticeable in the photograph. The only thing I would suggest and only if it even matters to you is the photo shows a white convertible boot and the model depicts a blue boot. Again only if it makes a difference to you since it doesn't really take anything away from your build in my mind.