Model Cars Magazine Forum

whos your fav. mail order supplier

I do very little mail ordering as I really like the "brick & mortar"" hobby shops as I've been goin' to them since the mid 50's. I like to talk to people and I like to hold the model boxes and check out the box art on all 5 sides. I like to look at the displays of paint racks and even displays of photo-etched and aftermarket parts too. In other words I support my local hobby shop. I also share a Lionel train set with my grandson at Christmas time and if my locomotive needs any repairs, or I need any advice I know that my hobby shop owners will be more than happy to help me and to answer any questions that I may have.

I do very little mail ordering as I really like the "brick & mortar"" hobby shops as I've been goin' to them since the mid 50's. I like to talk to people and I like to hold the model boxes and check out the box art on all 5 sides. I like to look at the displays of paint racks and even displays of photo-etched and aftermarket parts too. In other words I support my local hobby shop. I also share a Lionel train set with my grandson at Christmas time and if my locomotive needs any repairs, or I need any advice I know that my hobby shop owners will be more than happy to help me and to answer any questions that I may have.

I really miss our local hobby shop......its been gone for years now, and there are no more left around here. What i DO like though, is that at Hobby Search.com, you can see ALL the contents to kits laid out, AND every page in the instructions BEFORE you decide to buy. At least with the Japanese kits you can.

From personal experience, I can recommend Freetime Hobbies, Hobbylinc and Megahobby.  All carry big lines of hobby paint and tools, and all ship orders very quickly.  Never a problem with any of them.

I couldn't agree more.  I have all three saved on my cell phone.  They are great to deal with.  I would compare prices on all three sites before you pull the trigger.

I couldn't agree more.  I have all three saved on my cell phone.  They are great to deal with.  I would compare prices on all three sites before you pull the trigger.

Freetime for sure,   Russ , one of the owners , real pleasure to deal with,  he was happy today that I was ordering 12 more kits from him, so much he didnt bother making me pay up front :lol:

I second Tower Hobbies

Ive placed one order with MegaHobby and they got it shipped out in under 24 hours, so that was a plus and their pricing for the products I was buying was really decent compared to everyone else.

Edited by martinfan5

Tower Hobbies has some good pricing on Tamiya and Testors paints and offers discounts on orders and occasionally free shipping. If I can't find paint locally, I order it online.

Correct, I get about 90% of my Tamiya paint from Tower Hobbies,  Tamiya primer I can get cheaper else where, so I do but for the actual paint, yeah, its hard to find better prices in conjunction with one of their free shipping coupons or so much money off coupon.

One of other cool thing about Tower is, they like to send you $10 off coupon codes after you order from them, it doesnt happen all the time,  I would say its every other order.

The only online retailer I've done business with for models / supplies .  If you can call it that is ..ebay.

Even at that it's old out of production kits. 

Although I have bought from Amazon for other things . But not once for anything modeling related 

I tend to buy local. Or not at all. 

Edited by gtx6970