Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 300zx turbo

Plastic_Passion

So I just bought a 300zx. I also picked up a P.E. kit for it as well. I've always loved this car. It's too bad its so heavy in real life. I like the 95 era the best. I don't have the kit yet as it's on its way to my house. The metal parts should be here around Nov. I think I'm going to do this in a cool pearl white/black/pearl blue/red metallic outside and.... how do you follow that up? Well I guess it'll have to come to me. Anybody know where I can possibly get a resin "body kit"?

I honestly cant remember every seeing a resin body kit for one of these, but that doesnt mean there isnt one out there somewhere. If there is, its likely rare, and expensive. The only one that I can think of was a resin kit to do the 300zx that raced at Daytona in IMSA in '87? the Exxon car. But again, rare and likely expensive. 

I do love this car tho, and arguably the best car commercial, ever...

I've always loved this car. It's too bad its so heavy in real life.

I've always liked it aswell. The most beautiful part for me are the headlights, the same which have been used for the later Lambo Diablo vintages (after 2000). But what makes you say the car was "heavy"? Do you mean the actual weight, which was around 1500 kg, which I do not consider heavy for a fully equipped high-tech sportscar of the 90's...

I've always liked it aswell. The most beautiful part for me are the headlights, the same which have been used for the later Lambo Diablo vintages (after 2000). But what makes you say the car was "heavy"? Do you mean the actual weight, which was around 1500 kg, which I do not consider heavy for a fully equipped high-tech sportscar of the 90's...

You know..... you're right! In doing some research it's quite comparable to its competition even with the A.W.S. which I didn't even know they had. And I'm pretty sure the hicas was only in the tt. My mother's now ex husbands son had a z32 but his was an N/A car. Still very nice. There's something about these I just love. Between the curvy body lines and the straight edge of the windows it all comes together so nice. I've always wanted one. Maybe someday..... 

300ZX is one of my favs......I produced the IMSA version in kit form years ago.....

2vY1QQG8xJcANd.jpg

nice! This is my real first time getting out of revell/amt world. It'll be a nice change. Especially with the photo etch kit too. Another first for me. I like your car. Looks good. Who makes that kit? I haven't built a race car other than a NASCAR stock car when I was young.

Just got the kit today. First impressions are.... intrigued.... kinda shocked, very excited and maybe even a tad overwhelmed by the new experience with something other than a revell or amt kit. I'll admit I got a little gung hoe and got everything out of the box like a ten year old on Christmas. Tore all the sprues out of the plastic admiring all the parts there were. Three piece dash.... two of them.... left and right hand drive. Two sets of windshield wipers (obviously). One of the most interesting window pieces I've ever seen... amazing detail. Very little flash. Very detailed instructions. Just great. If you've never done a tamiya model, I suggest picking one up. I'm excited to get the photo etched parts. EBay tells me I have 6-27 days for delivery. Which is kind of genius. Now I just have to come up with paint ideas. I want to do something I've never done. Something real wild. I have a set of 19" wheels with some perelli rubber on them. Guess I have some time to work out some thought clouds and she'd some light on this. Tune in.

This is probably one of the best kits I've ever built, even though it's hardly the most detailed. Fit is perfect on everything, and the biggest challenge was painting the frit on that one-piece window piece. The car itself is gorgeous, and still looks fantastic twenty plus years later, but Tamiya nailed this one. Honestly, I would suggest building it mostly box stock using the PE parts, and maybe changing the wheels and tires out if you like.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

This is probably one of the best kits I've ever built, even though it's hardly the most detailed. Fit is perfect on everything, and the biggest challenge was painting the frit on that one-piece window piece. The car itself is gorgeous, and still looks fantastic twenty plus years later, but Tamiya nailed this one. Honestly, I would suggest building it mostly box stock using the PE parts, and maybe changing the wheels and tires out if you like.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

yeah that window i something isn't It? Never seen anything like that. See the thing with this car to me is.... I was born in '85. So the car I grew to love was the 3rd gen f body. Now the z wasn't even on my radar when I was a kid unless you were talking z28. I had three different f bodies before I even had a licence. My buddy had a couple camaros.  One of which was an iroc. Then he bought an 86 300zx. It had the 3.0 in it but it was an n.a. car. It was pretty fun. From what we drove it. It was pretty rotted underneath. Then my mother's now ex husbands son had a 92. It was pure white with the dark ocean blue/ black interior. It too was an n.a. car. But I fell In love with it as soon as I saw it and even more so when I rode in it. Id love to have one. I'd have to have the t.t.

Oh Man, know youve started on a Tamiya / Fujimi / Aoshima kit you'll never look back! Perfect parts fit, little flash, great detail & all those little detail things like metal emblems, mesh etc.

Ive built 2 of the Tamiya kits, both have turned out great, never had a problem with either of them. 

This is my 300zx convertable lowered on 19"s, such a great looking car that only needs wheels to be changed.

IMG_4725.JPG

Oh Man, know youve started on a Tamiya / Fujimi / Aoshima kit you'll never look back! Perfect parts fit, little flash, great detail & all those little detail things like metal emblems, mesh etc.

Ive built 2 of the Tamiya kits, both have turned out great, never had a problem with either of them. 

This is my 300zx convertable lowered on 19"s, such a great looking car that only needs wheels to be changed.

IMG_4725.JPG

nice! It's nice to dip my toes in a new market. I've eyed their kits for a while but just decided it was time. I bought a set of wheels to use on a Beretta gtu but they are too large for the amt. The Beretta is 1:25 and has fairly narrow wheel wells. However they seem to fill the wells of the z nicely. So far I'm very impressed by this kit. But was actually surprised by the lack of chrome parts. I'm excited for the P.E parts to get here.

So far I'm very impressed by this kit. But was actually surprised by the lack of chrome parts. I'm excited for the P.E parts to get here.

There is no chrome anything on the real car, so I think they plated the wheels (and side view mirror faces, too:?) as the best replicate aluminum for an out of the box build.

Remembering back to '92 or so when I built the kit (my first Tamiya kit, too), I think painting the black fret around the "glass" was easier than I expected, due to the slightly roughened texture area which are to be painted black. Not a big surprise for a well engineered kit such as this, and pretty typical of Tamiya factory stock automotive subjects from the early '90s...their Porsche 959 "feels" almost identical, and also build up nicely.

Here's some good reference, too: http://practicalenthusiast.kinja.com/nissan-300zx-twin-turbo-the-actual-cost-of-buying-an-o-1793065851

The "glass" can easily be blacked with a good black Sharpie or a careful masking of the clear section and airbrushed the black.  

As for a body kit, if you message me with a picture of what you're looking for or something similar, I could possibly build one and resin cast a transkit.  I've been looking for a good excuse to build mine.  

Here's a picture of the current project I am working on.  A Tamiya 180SX with an Aoshima S15 body kit modified to fit.IMG_20170304_240908394.thumb.jpg.7eafdc2IMG_20170225_200933361.thumb.jpg.d41ea5f

There is no chrome anything on the real car, so I think they plated the wheels (and side view mirror faces, too:?) as the best replicate aluminum for an out of the box build.

Remembering back to '92 or so when I built the kit (my first Tamiya kit, too), I think painting the black fret around the "glass" was easier than I expected, due to the slightly roughened texture area which are to be painted black. Not a big surprise for a well engineered kit such as this, and pretty typical of Tamiya factory stock automotive subjects from the early '90s...their Porsche 959 "feels" almost identical, and also build up nicely.

Here's some good reference, too: http://practicalenthusiast.kinja.com/nissan-300zx-twin-turbo-the-actual-cost-of-buying-an-o-1793065851

that was a great read!!! It's crazy in there end he had $11,000 car in the end. As for the kit, I'm not to worried about the window paint. As you said it has that textured finish. And I've been using a paint pent with a fine point with great results. Also I'm just shocked they didn't mold the headlight buckets in silver/chrome.

The "glass" can easily be blacked with a good black Sharpie or a careful masking of the clear section and airbrushed the black.  

As for a body kit, if you message me with a picture of what you're looking for or something similar, I could possibly build one and resin cast a transkit.  I've been looking for a good excuse to build mine.  

Here's a picture of the current project I am working on.  A Tamiya 180SX with an Aoshima S15 body kit modified to fit.IMG_20170304_240908394.thumb.jpg.7eafdc2IMG_20170225_200933361.thumb.jpg.d41ea5f

man that's awesome! I've never worked with resin before. This kit would be a lot of firsts for me. Which is crazy for me to think because I've been building models for at least 26 years. I'll get back to you with some ideas if you'd be willing to work with me on it and we can figure something out. Also I love the idea of your 180 so far. 

IMG_4725.JPG

What wheels are those please.

What wheels are those please.

Hey Mate, the Wheels i used are Aoshima SSR Professor SP3 19" wheels, Theyre pretty good, theyre molded in 1 piece tho, hard to paint 2 tone, & they come with the VIP/Stance tires that put them on an angle with enough camber, not enough to be stupid but enough to look nice...

Link to unboxing

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=aoshima+wheels+ssr&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwmren_ZbXAhWKFpQKHbLgDfQQsAQIJg&biw=1745&bih=863#imgrc=vJ_6ygzrHl5V4M:

Ash

Well I've lightly started on the lady. Just got the photo etched parts. They're awesome! Crazy to think the fan and radiator combined parts count is 18 parts.... And from what I've seen this P.E kit is small comparatively. I've gone through the body panels and such. Just shot some primer on it. Going to lightly sketch out a paint scheme before I sand it down. I really like the idea of a blue mica metallic car with an off center skinny stripe and wider stripe next to it. I'll be building it left hand drive and prefer the fat stripe to go over the drivers side of the car. I'd also like to do something on the side but am not completely sure yet. Haven't touched the interior yet either. The wheels I'm using are satin black at the moment. Part of me wants to do them gunmetal metallic....

incase you havent decided on a paint scheme/color for definate yet,  ive done my Tamiya Supra with TS-52, which turned out absolutely awsome : http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/127174-tamiya-sard-supra-gt/

Maybe to flashy, maybe not, but everyone that has seen pictures or seen the bodies here in the house absolutely loves the color on this car... just a thought ;)

Edited by JeroenM3

So I haven't been building a whole lot the past couple of days. I just did some refreshing to a 93 civic I've had on the shelf for a hot minute. I built it probably 14 years ago. It' one of my survivors. I pulled it off the shelf to clean it and decided I needed to pull off the red decals that represented the center color of the seats. Furthermore I had to clear it and paint the window trim around the window and door. I left it body colored before. I decided to go gray for the second interior color and will have yellow detailing.

Anyways now that thats back on the shelf for the time being.... I'm going to work on the lady. I've primed her up. I'l be brainstorming a paint idea on the primer. I already have the offset stripes up and over. I've done the intake and exaust in bright silver. Almost like polished aluminum. 

On a seperate note... I've started a Flickr acct. I'l be posting all of my builds in folders by car on their site. M.C.M. doesn't have enough space and I have to delete things all the time. I'll post the link for my page as I update. Thanks for looking. Pics soon!