Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '32 Ford Vicky Altered Rebuild! UPDATED 10/29/17

Dennis Lacy

Six years ago I built this AMT '32 Vicky. Maybe somebody here remembers it? Probably not?

2vznCmd9xK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

To be honest, I never really liked it. I hate the straight Tamiya gold paint and I hate the decal layout. At the time I built it I was very limited on vintage racing decals so I used what I had. The model is also having an identity crises because it's trying to be an early 60's Altered, but it's not really. It was built from an 80's issue (molded in that terrible dark gray) and features the optional rear axle that was in the kit by then. I back-dated the engine to the original speed parts using pieces from the sister Phaeton kit and for some dumb reason painted the oil pan black. The chrome steelie wheels and front tires are from the AMT '25 T Chopped Coupe double kit with AMT parts pack slicks.

Recently I was rearranging my display cabinet and noticed something bad had happened to the paint but I have no idea at what point in the last 6 years that it did because the last time I looked close at the model is when I finished it and stuck it in the case. It looks like traces of water and finger prints from when the decals were put on and cleared over. Really weird. Non of my other models with decals have this going on (thankfully.) Since I didn't like the model anyway I tore it apart and salvaged the wheels and tires.

2v2uhi6kqxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uhi6m5xK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uhi6VmxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uhi6CSxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

I had no intention of rebuilding the Vicky until I found a complete interior set from the most recent Retro Deluxe reissued of the kit on eBay from one of my favorite sellers for a whopping $5.43 to my door! I got to thinking that I could paint the white interior tub a lighter color easily that would look better with the gold body. I also got to thinking I always liked the Vicky kit and even tho I'm past AMT's '32 kit simplicity these days I should still have one in my fleet. It was then decided. I shall rebuild!

2v2uhi6LVxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

THE PLAN!

This time around the Vicky is going to be a full-on Altered and will feature all-new running gear with a Blown Poncho up front and lots of chrome throughout. It is going to stay gold as an ode to the first version but will be a way better shade of it. It's also going to get new rolling stock. 

Below, all that remains and will be carried over into the new version.

2v2uhi6WCxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

NEW PARTS!

Full chrome front axle assembly from AMT's recently issued '29 Roadster / Mod Rod double kit and chrome quick change rear axle assembly from AMT's '25 T double kits.

2v2uhi6FmxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

Chrome 5-spoke wheels from AMT's '25 Tall-T and Fruitwagon double kits. Front tires from the flat-box Ohio George reissue of the '33 Willys and AMT parts pack red-stripe slicks.

2v2uhi6ngxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

I plan to graft the AMT '25 T dashboard into the '32 piece and the roll bar is from the '33 Willys.

2v2uhi6ySxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

Some other bits will be the Monogram '30 Woody chrome firewall, AMT Double Dragster Fiat seat (which has nicely engraved belts) and '25 T Moon tank and fire extinguisher.

2v2uhi6NhxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

The bulk of the engine will be Revell parts pack Blown Pontiac...

2v2uhit3VxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

...kit-bashed with the finned timing cover, blower end plates and belt drive from AMT's rival parts pack Pontiac engine because the blower belt tensioner actually has attachment detail. From the AMT parts pack Chevy are the flywheel, magneto and shotgun headers. The little white transmission halves are from the Double Dragster Fiat Hemi. 

2v2uhitugxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

GETTING STARTED!

I can't do a whole lot until I get the paint stripped from the body and the chrome stripped from some of the engine parts but I did manage a few things today.

I modified the chrome firewall to fit.

2v2uhi6fnxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

I cut out the "radiator" (no longer needed as Altered's don't have cooling systems) leaving just the hollow front shell and notched the sides to mount it (correctly) on top of the front cross member instead of in front of it. 

2v2uhi6BFxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also re shaped the front frame horns because from AMT they look like upside down butter knives. The should have more taper top and bottom and a blunt flat at the tip.

2v2uhi6sGxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here's a really quick throw-together to give an idea of where this thing is headed.

2v2uhi6RWxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

As always, comments welcome!

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Looks like it will be a pretty cool rebuild.  I have that Gray modeled version you spoke of.  A friend had started the build 30 some years ago along with the 37 chevy Gasser.  That friend passed away from the evil cancer about 28 years ago.  I still have both of the kits just as he had left them at the time we were building together.  I keep saying I need to get them out and finish them.  I know the paint colors he was going to do them in and all. So I will follow  a long on your build maybe it will get me to dig them out and finish them.

And I dont think I have ever seen your decal/water problem before....Its almost as they started to bleed,,,,like blood!    It is getting close to Halloween and all!

It looked like a really nice clean build. But, what amazes me even more is how beautifully it all came apart..!! It's easy to tell you're a good model builder! Look forward to seeing it resurrected.

Thanks. It was okay but it could have been a lot cooler.

I was surprised how nice it came apart, too! I wasn't expecting it but everything came loose with mild effort. I used Zap-A-Gap to assemble and use it sparingly.

Nice, Dennis. I liked the first version, but it was missing something...it didn't really show off your style or talent. I really like your choice of parts. That firewall is an excellent idea, and the headers and mags should look great. Good job!

Thanks, Glenn! You took the words right out of my head and that's what I told another guy over on TRaK. 

I'll try and make the rebuild a little better...

UPDATE!

The body, grill shell and frame took a bath in Dot 3 brake fluid which took the clear and gold right off. Didn't do much to the underlying Duplicolor primer but that's okay, I just needed the gold off. Some of the engine parts took a bath in Westley's Bleech-White to strip them of chrome.

2v2uC8YAFxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

Didn't have much time over the weekend for this project but I did manage to start on some mild customizing and frenched a pair of 'Pontiac taillights and a club plaque. I always thought the back of the car looked a little plain-Jane and this idea came to me in a late night vision. I made the plaque recess a bit over size lending to the idea that this was once a street-going car and a license plate resided there before. Like a lot of street cars, this one got modified to the point of being a race-only car to try and stay competitive so the plaque is mounted in place of a license plate and the taillights are now used when flat-towing to the track. 

2v2uLZatGxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uLZaPCxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uLZafCxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uLZa6WxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

That's it for now but plenty more to come soon!

Comments welcome!

B)