Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Olds 442- Swap-N-Build CBP project

68shortfleet

So I joined in on this swap - and - build thread and will be building the Olds 442.

Original thread idea can be seen here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/126318-swap-n-build-cbp/

I have not started a build thread for my last few builds, got pretty frustrated trying to post pics via photobucket long before they screwed us. Yes, I know it is much easier now, I just kinda quite. So, I will try to get some pics attached to this build thread.

Since and Olds is probably not a car/kit that I would have picked of the shelves at the hobby shop, I had to try doing some Googling for inspiration. I didn't find anything that inspired at all in 1:1 or 1:25. Everything I found was basically a stock purist appearing build. The small vision in my head was much better than that, without going very far from stock. So here goes, we'll see how my vision transfers to plastic.

Car will be Testors Italian red, Pegasus wheels and some lowering. Again, not far from stock. Currently, the body is in primer, chassis pan has been painted and several of the small parts have been painted.

20171018_122620.jpg

Edited by 68shortfleet

I like your idea of just a clean slightly modified build. A thought on the paint and only if I fits with your vision. Hurst Corp. did a lot of modified Olds back in the day and part of that was some additional paint treatments in Black or a contrasting color. They would use the bodies chrome moldings as a dividing line and paint the Hood and top of the Fenders Black or another color and use the molding to end the color where it ends at the top of the side window openings. I also have seen a similar treatment on the Trunk Lid again following the moldings where they loop around the top of the rear window.  

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress, Chassis painted and assembly started. Body painted and wet sanded, will apply BMF next, then clearcoat it.

Finding a few small details I don't like about my work, but that's part of this hobby I think. If I was happy with all my work, I would never improve.

15102725545801646870009.jpg

Edited by 68shortfleet

I've made a small bit of progress on the 442.

Body painted, BMF'd, first coat of clear applied. For some reason, I got a crazy amount of dust in the clearcoat, hoping that I will be able to wet sand it and get it smoothed out. Other problem is that my can of clear decided to vomit on the car, leaving a terrible finish. 

Ohhh, and some dummy forgot to put the decals on the body before the first coat of clear. Remembered them right before I grabbed the clear for the hood. Got the decals on the hood then before clear. The stripe on the right side started to rip a little though. BARELY noticeable after one coat of clear though it will probably show up well in pictures.

Most of the engine bay area is complete, some small paint touch up area to address.

Machined some new center caps for the Pegasus wheels, not terribly fond of the three spoke spinners that they come with.

20171115_115653[1].jpg

20171115_115735[1].jpg

Hmmm, looking at my posted pictures, The signal yellow I used on the marker lights in the front bumper looks even worse than it does in person. It looked a little too yellow in person, and WAY too yellow in the images.

Looks like "I am going to have to find something to "orange" thme up a bit.

Suggestions??

have any Tamiya Clear Red, or Orange,...?

Hmmm, looking at my posted pictures, The signal yellow I used on the marker lights in the front bumper looks even worse than it does in person. It looked a little too yellow in person, and WAY too yellow in the images.

Looks like "I am going to have to find something to "orange" thme up a bit.

Suggestions??

have any Tamiya Clear Red, or Orange,...?

Actually yes. I mixed a little yellow and red together to come up with a better color tha doesn't look like it would glow in the dark.

Had something go wrong with the clearcoat on the hood. I created a wrinkle line in four low spot lines down the length of the hood. Thought I could sand it out. Was going great on the sanding until I sanded clear through to plastic in a spot. Even that I thought I could salvage. Taped it off and touched up the paint spot and had it looking really good. Then when removing my tape, it destroyed the hood strip decal on the right side far beyond me being able to salvage it.

So, now I am off to create a wanted request for some decals.

As it sits tonight. Basically ready to put the body on. Clear coat is drying on the body for hopefully its last wet sanding. Thought I wax to this point once already though. I got a little carried away and sanded all the way to plastic in three different spots on the rear of the car. First time ever I have attempted masking a small spot off and doing a spot repair. Went pretty smooth though and can't even tell where I did it. 

The hood is an entirely different story. It landed in the purple pond today. Hoping I can find a replacement set of rally stripes for the hood.

20171118_173702.jpg

20171118_173646.jpg

Edited by 68shortfleet

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the SABAnw monthly build night yesterday and got this 442 body wet sanded and ready for polish, well, all but the hood. Hope to be able to start polishing it on Wed or Thurs. Also hoping to get the hood repainted and ready for decals then too. 

Sorry, no pics. Wet sanding pics are pretty boring anyways.

Edited by 68shortfleet

Haven't taken any new pictures, but have made a little progress.  

Body has been wet sanded, the polished with meguires scratchX 2.0, and then waxed. Windows have been glued in place. Got the hood primed and some color back on it. Still need to get color on the bottom of the hood though. Making small bits of progress.

I'm still running with a moment of inspiration on another build which is taking a lot of time.