Model Cars Magazine Forum

Been gone a while having a knee replacement, decided i'd finish (well close enough for now) an easy project. NewRay peterbilt 579 1/24 scale toy with a few mods and some detail work, custom decals, 1/4 fenders, etc.. This turns out to be a really decent model comparable in size to the 780 volvo (also 1/24th scale). Need to put the interior back in and add air lines. Local atwoods store had 4 of there at 29.00 with the lowboy and track hoe, which also look to be good starter projects. got plans for a day cab, low top sleeper and a 144 in sleeper. 

DSCF0048.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0041.JPG

DSCF0046.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG

DSCF0042.JPG

Edited by signguy2108
remove pic

That looks great! I have been looking for trailer and load ideas for a while and I never thought to check out die-cast toys. What did you think of the trailer, did it respond well to some detailing? Is the backhoe a nice model?

That looks great! I have been looking for trailer and load ideas for a while and I never thought to check out die-cast toys. What did you think of the trailer, did it respond well to some detailing? Is the backhoe a nice model?

Well, nothing here is diecast, the 579 along with the lowbow and trackhoe are hard plastic. The lowboy is a decent starting point, as is the trackhoe. A few mods and both can be made to look good, im starting on the trackhoe now, then i"ll work on the lowboy. Trailer in pics here is scratchbuilt, chevy truck is a dollar store pullback toy with scratchbuilt bed. Mobieus Prostar converted to daycab. The 579 has to have several mods,(filled in holes in top, carved out inside of mirror brkts, shortened side skirts(by my choice) but glue and paint(SEM plastic primer and rustoleum rattle can sunburst yellow) adhere well. After i tore down the first one, i went and bought 3 more, hard to beat truck, trailer, and load for 29.00! I'll get some pics up on the trackhoe in a few days

Great work!B) That's probably the only way we'll ever see any modern rigs in scale so we might as well embrace what we can in non-kit form. With Christmas two months away I'm sure a lot of those will be showing up in stores. I might have to grab a few. Like you said, you can't beat that price!

• 5 months later...

This is one of the coolest "toys" I've ever gotten....You've done a great job on it, too.....I've converted 4 of these, already, and about to do a fifth one....After lowering the front end and a bit and taking out all of the unnecessary lights and sound equipment, it makes for an awesome model.....And lots of fun doing it, to boot.....I love this model....And I've got one of those Chevy's, too....Great idea for a conversion, there, as well....I love it....Price is a big factor, as you say, as well.....This thing looks good in yellow....Nice execution.....