Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Trans-Am Mustang

Phildaupho

The full name for this replica is 1967 Terlingua Racing Team #17 Jerry Titus Shelby Group II Sedan Car #2 Mustang Notchback Trans-Am Racecar

I did an On the Workbench post, which documented the construction.

To summarize

The AMT ’67 Mustang Fastback was converted to a notchback with roof and trunk from an AMT ’66 Mustang

Paint a mix of Testor’s enamel with Tamiya Satin Black on hood

Fred Cady decals

Detail Master hood pins, Owen Craft cast silver door handles [no longer available], Acu-Stion wiper

Wheels and Tires Revell C-3 racecar kits

Edited by Phildaupho

Very nice! Followed your build, you did a lot of detail work on this.

Very nice! Followed your build, you did a lot of detail work on this.

Pretty sharp!  I really like the old Trans-Am series cars.

very nice!

Oh yes that's nice !  One of my favorites , great job !

Beautiful build. I also watched your build and the body conversion. The body turned out perfect. Great paint and detailing.

Very well done!

Such a cool build

Whoa...that's superb!  Love the clean work, and the subject ain't bad, either!!!

Mint! Fantastic job all around.

Great work!

Nice work Phil.

Absolutely beautiful work!!! 

Thanks everyone for your replies. I found the research and construction of this project very interesting and satisfying and I am personally very pleased and proud of the results.

Nice  job on the roof.  Your model came out very nice 

Very nice indeed! You obviously put a lot of research and work into this. Well done and model on!

Hi,

Wow this is wonderful!  I love it.

nice one ;)

Thanks Andre, Snake, Aurf & Ken - I think there might be enough interest for AMT, Revell or Moebius to release a modern kit of a notchback Mustang - with 67 or 68 possibly being more desirable than 65 or 66. A nice 65/66 notchback can be built by converting the 1/24 Revell Convertible.

Nice job Phil!!!!!!!

Not to speak poorly of your model, but for reference for others and your own future reference...the seat belts in the 1960s had black webbing, not blue. But you ARE right to use black spark plug wires. You were right to install the rear side interior panels as well as the inner door panels and mostly stock dash. Only the gauge insert section of the dash was allowed to be modified from stock.

I think you can probably figure that such a car is on my own list of those to build, considering my reference info and pictures of the 1:1 Shelby Trans Am Mustang I worked on restoring that I provided to help you build yours.

A decent 65 -66 Mustang notchback could be built using the AMT '66 body shell and the AMT '67 fastback chassis. The '67 Mustang chassis just might be a more correct wheelbase than the original annual 1966 kit, based on my recent experience with building a '69 Barracuda phantom trans Am race car using an MPC annual kit body and a recent issue Duster chassis, both of which should have the same wheelbase.

Nice job Phil!!!!!!!

Not to speak poorly of your model, but for reference for others and your own future reference...the seat belts in the 1960s had black webbing, not blue. But you ARE right to use black spark plug wires. You were right to install the rear side interior panels as well as the inner door panels and mostly stock dash. Only the gauge insert section of the dash was allowed to be modified from stock.

I think you can probably figure that such a car is on my own list of those to build, considering my reference info and pictures of the 1:1 Shelby Trans Am Mustang I worked on restoring that I provided to help you build yours.

A decent 65 -66 Mustang notchback could be built using the AMT '66 body shell and the AMT '67 fastback chassis. The '67 Mustang chassis just might be a more correct wheelbase than the original annual 1966 kit, based on my recent experience with building a '69 Barracuda phantom trans Am race car using an MPC annual kit body and a recent issue Duster chassis, both of which should have the same wheelbase.

Thanks for your reply Richard. You have sharp eyes. I ran out of black for the seat belt material but liked the contrast of the blue on the black seats. Maybe I should have posed my photos in black & white like back in the day!!??