Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trip to Sedona AZ

crazyjim

We're looking at May so it's warmer.  I looked the Desert Classic and mentioned it to her.  She gave me "the look".  There's a train out of Williams and some Camp Verde or Verde Canyon train and we're looking at both.

Maybe early or mid-May, as we went in mid-June last year and they had record breaking "high" temps. All depends how much you want to sweat, and yeah I know that it's a "dry heat."

Years ago we took the kids out to see their grandparents in Surprise, probably around 2001. It was mid March, saw some spring training baseball. Temps in the Phoenix area were 75-80 degrees, very nice for us as we were living in Chicago at the time. Took a trip up to the Grand Canyon, late Winter snow left 14 inches of snow and it was in the low 30's! Needless to say, we didn't stay long!

Definitely want to go back there and see all the stuff the inlaws didn't want to see, this thread has me thinking about a trip maybe next year?

To throw my bit in. Why Sedona? Over Prescott? Personally think there's more to do and see in Prescott and just like the overall area better. But since you said you won't be driving, guess you're hanging with someone in the Sedona area or using arranged transportation.  Anyway your vacation. If you go out 89A through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff that's a nice drive. From Flag to the Canyon if you want to do the train I40 west to Williams and catch it there. Need reservations. If driving head out 180 from the northwest side of Flag. Good road, nice drive, highest pass is around 10,000 ft. but its not a real twisty. If you have time as you're leaving Flag from there a couple of neat little museums. Pioneer Museum - Historical on the north side of the highway and a little further on the south side: Museum of Northern Arizona - Art and Cultural. Also the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff itself. As 180 dead ends into the 64 at Valle were you head north to the canyon there is a Air Museum Planes Of Fame annex museum there also with some antique cars. Show photos from there: https://whulsey.smugmug.com/Airplanes/2014-08-23-Thunder-Over/  

Better have a month for all we've planned for you.