Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 Ford Pickup Junker

pharoah

Charcoal sticks can be cumbersome for details but charcoal pencils can help with that. A kneaded eraser is your friend for helping remove marks if you get too heavy. I love using blending sticks to give you that airbrush quality in gradated areas. Of course, no one says you can't use pencils and coal.

Looking at it again, you've got a great hand on the hardest part which is perspective, proportion and especially seeing light. The rest is just technique.

Edited by Lunajammer

Charcoal sticks can be cumbersome for details but charcoal pencils can help with that. A kneaded eraser is your friend for helping remove marks if you get too heavy. I love using blending sticks to give you that airbrush quality in gradated areas. Of course, no one says you can't use pencils and coal.

Looking at it again, you've got a great hand on the hardest part which is perspective, proportion and especially seeing light. The rest is just technique.

I've only been doing this for about 60 years.. Thanks to Jon Gnagy for the lessons on perspective..

Yes, I used charcoal pencils,too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Nice!! What brand(s) pencil do you use?

Thanks Michael! It's varied over the years,and this is an old one. Lately,I've been using Kimberly 2B to 6B pencils I get from Dick Blick.  The best eraser I've found is the Factis Black 18 ,that they also sell.