• Announcements

• Site Upgrade   11/18/2017

The Forums will be down, Friday, November 24th starting 8 AM PST for upgrade.We'll probably be down until 1PM PST, but it might be longer. I'm doing a major forum software upgrade, so I expect the forums to operate somewhat differently when we come back online. 

tire wheel

3 posts in this topic

Posted

looking for  one 1/8 tire /wheel to use at rear of custom chopper...wheel type unimportant...cant be skinny tire...thanks

Posted

Do you want an existing tire/wheel from an existing kit or do want something that is right for the bike?  That was the incentive for me to start printing my own wheels and tires.  I couldn't stand what was available from kits and made my own according to what I wanted.  Now I'm no expert on chopper setups, but I know what looks good.  

I kept telling myself why do I have to settle with a limited set of designs when I'm the 1:1 world there are tons of options.  With the print world granted you may not get chrome surface, but getting the right design may be the way to go!  

Thoughts?

how custom is the chopper?  Scratch built?

Posted

other than a few 1/25 motorcycles that were in car/truck kits ive never built a  cycle.  i recently got a rerelease of the grim reaper which is a very simple kit and i was disappointed so ive decided to replace the front forks with aluminum tube, scratch a gas tank, widen the rear of frame for a wider tire and will prob make my own rear wheel.  as far as 3d printing goes i cant have an opinion as ive never had hands on with anything 3d printed.    i have my doubts about working with nylon and about the surface finish of 3d stuff but i cant see guys using the stuff unless  it worked well. just think, our grandchildren will prob be able to print out stuff with a perfect chrome mirror finish as the technology improves. or how about this as a future development-model car bodies with a smart surface and you could program any color or finish you desired.  i have read that of all things people are working on that technology for womens fingernails where a base coat of smart stuff is applied, then you touch the nail with a penlike device to instantly get any color .