Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gold 57 Chevy.

Scalper

• 10 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, Xingu said:

Yes sir, that is a gold '57 Chevy. Looking forward to seeing how this one ends up. I find gold to be a very fickle color.

Had very good luck with Testors Pure Gold. Lays down a lot better than the Testors Gold. Doing a Hearst Hairy Olds right now.

20 hours ago, Renegade said:

Had very good luck with Testors Pure Gold. Lays down a lot better than the Testors Gold. Doing a Hearst Hairy Olds right now.

Testors is ok painted my olds with the testors as well. 

Well took some pics this morning. Noticed that I even have finger prints on it. 

C48C3AFF-F98F-4E30-953C-B89C723FD203.thumb.jpeg.a2c14860977e46a0dd74bac25cf38476.jpeg630E99E1-95F4-411C-8948-93677CA76C1C.thumb.jpeg.4657242e792b3bf9952c9677392e00fb.jpeg

B2B8272A-2D98-4178-85EE-44BE880982E5.jpeg

That's the problem with the Testors Gold, silver & Copper enamels.

They are extremely fragile.

You will likely never get the finger prints back out without repainting.

In the future, you might want to give it a shot of Testors clear enamel gloss after the gold.

It's the only way that you will ever be able to protect the color coats.

Another thing to remember with these paints is that the adhesion properties are terrible!

You should never try to mask over them without spraying some sort of protective coating over them.

The tape will pull the paint right off!

Even after a protective coat, it is very questionable whether tape should be used on it.

I have had clear pull right off of these colors in sheets with the tape.

I hardly ever use these paints any more because they are so troublesome.

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's the problem with the Testors Gold, silver & Copper enamels.

They are extremely fragile.

You will likely never get the finger prints back out without repainting.

In the future, you might want to give it a shot of Testors clear enamel gloss after the gold.

It's the only way that you will ever be able to protect the color coats.

Another thing to remember with these paints is that the adhesion properties are terrible!

You should never try to mask over them without spraying some sort of protective coating over them.

The tape will pull the paint right off!

Even after a protective coat, it is very questionable whether tape should be used on it.

I have had clear pull right off of these colors in sheets with the tape.

I hardly ever use these paints any more because they are so troublesome.

Steve

Thanks Steve I appreciate it . looks like she will be a bit rusty.. or might just try to repaint the roof.

1 hour ago, Scalper said:

Thanks Steve I appreciate it . looks like she will be a bit rusty.. or might just try to repaint the roof.

You could give it a light sanding with very fine sand paper & shoot it with another coat of gold.

Let it cure & then a fairly heavy coat of Testors enamel clear gloss.

The clear enamel will take a long time to cure, but you could move on to another project for a month or two and when you come back to it, you should have a nice shiny bright gold finish.

I've used this paint in silver with clear over it & it looks pretty nice when it's done.

The gold is a little too bright for my taste, but it does give you a nice thin, smooth base.

Steve

I like a nice gold or silver paint job. But you MUST seal it with a coat of clear to keep it from getting damaged. What ever you do DO NOT use Testors Gloss Cote!!! It doesn't cover the metallic paint well and leaves huge orange peel!

Enamels look bright, but turn muddy or bland when covered with clear.

I've had the best luck with Dupli-Color Automotive lacquer and compatible clear spray.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I like a nice gold or silver paint job. But you MUST seal it with a coat of clear to keep it from getting damaged. What ever you do DO NOT use Testors Gloss Cote!!! It doesn't cover the metallic paint well and leaves huge orange peel!

Enamels look bright, but turn muddy or bland when covered with clear.

I've had the best luck with Dupli-Color Automotive lacquer and compatible clear spray.

???

One thing I have never had issues with when using Testors clear enamel is orange peel.

It has a tendency to yellow over time depending on your base color, but I have never had orange peel issues.

This '55 Nomad body was shot with Testors clear enamel over a a flat enamel base probably 20 years ago.

One coat with zero polishing.

Steve

2v2JdCCZnxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

???

One thing I have never had issues with when using Testors clear enamel is orange peel.

It has a tendency to yellow over time depending on your base color, but I have never had orange peel issues.

This '55 Nomad body was shot with Testors clear enamel over a a flat enamel base probably 20 years ago.

One coat with zero polishing.

Steve

2v2JdCCZnxwUbWP.jpg

Not sure if we're talking about the same formula of Testors paint. I'm talking about the old spray called Gloss Cote, and it kinda smells like rubbing alcohol when you spray it. First coat goes on smooth but a little thin. After that, any coats sprayed on top would lump up and never smooth out. It's as if it wasn't compatible with itself. And if you sprayed it on Testors regular silver, the silver would turn muddy grey and never get glossy no matter how many coats you put on it. Pretty sure gold reacted the same way.

Maybe Testors improved that old formula, but that's the horror I remember with it and I've never used it since.

8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Not sure if we're talking about the same formula of Testors paint. I'm talking about the old spray called Gloss Cote, and it kinda smells like rubbing alcohol when you spray it. First coat goes on smooth but a little thin. After that, any coats sprayed on top would lump up and never smooth out. It's as if it wasn't compatible with itself. And if you sprayed it on Testors regular silver, the silver would turn muddy grey and never get glossy no matter how many coats you put on it. Pretty sure gold reacted the same way.

Maybe Testors improved that old formula, but that's the horror I remember with it and I've never used it since.

That sounds like one of their lacquer formulas.

I agree.

If it is one of those, it will definitely eat into a paint as fragile as this.

The clear I am referring to is #2936 "Enamel Top Coat".

I haven't tried it in years, but I just bought a can recently for a particular project.

If the formula hasn't changed, it used to work pretty well for a quick, one shot, shiny finish.

But I will remember never to use it over light colors. ;)

Steve

I found that out the hard way in regards to tape over painted finishes (even with the Tamiya Tape) with acrylics on aircraft builds and then again with enamels and lacquers on automotive builds but hey, it's a constant learning process right? Engine looks good but I'll say that I usually stick all my wires with the boots installed into the distributor first and then start the routing process.

Boots aint that hard to fabricate or install either.

I start here with the wire:

photo 003_zpsbe6rt6um.jpg

Then I either get a piece of telephone jack wire or even better yet would be a same diameter piece of black wire so it's already the right color:

photo 004_zpsopx71h1s.jpg

Cut to two different lengths, one for the distributor side and the other for the spark plug side and insert a toothpick through to swell the "boot" to fit onto the spark plug wire:

photo 005_zpsetwrmdv9.jpg

photo 006_zpslr4mzphh.jpg

and slide both onto the wire and "wallah" you've got yourself one assembled spark plug wire. Either paint the boots to your liking or choose the correct diameter colored wire for them.

photo 007_zpsqgzb0uk4.jpg

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, espo said:

I hadn't seen this build before now. Have you sealed the body paint yet ?  I remember years ago using this paint but for a base for a candy color. This makes a great candy apple red base coat. 

Have not sealed the body.. going for that nice worn look  to make it look it has not been painted since the 80's 

2 hours ago, Scalper said:

Have not sealed the body.. going for that nice worn look  to make it look it has not been painted since the 80's 

2 hours ago, Scalper said:

Perhaps a light semi-gloss or even a flat clear. 

• 2 weeks later...