Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda Vision Concept

There's not a lot of modern cars that make me go "Wow, that's nice!"  but I'm really liking where they're going with this, even if it is just a rendering of a concept.  It's sleek, elegant, with a minimum of tortured surfaces that are supposed to be "distinctive", and say's 60s while still looking contemporary.  If it's a trend, it's one I can get behind.

Mazda-Concept.jpg

Mazda-Vision-Coupe-5.jpeg

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Compared to some of the cars coming out of Toyota and Nissan, the simplicity of this design is refreshing!

If they do a production car that looks anything close to this, I'd consider it. 

And having owned two Mazdas in the past, with a total of 6 in the family over the past 20 years, I'm familiar enough with the quality to consider it even more.

:)

I'm guessing there's some sort of hybrid powertrain in there?

Does Madza have a design center in California? I just cannot picture that car being designed in the Orient.
Their designs are usually full of folds, creases, scoops, and airfoils.
Or maybe that's the American design way?  I dunno.

Nice. I like the simplicity of the clean smooth lines without, as Jon mentions above, the folds, creases, scoops, and airfoils. If they put it into production I hope they don't mess it up by adding any new "styling" changes. I own a Mazda and it's a very nice car. 

I love the looks of this beauty! :wub:

To my eyes, it has the PERFECT proportions for a car..........nice dash to front axle distance, no super long rear end and sleek roofline. I like the hardtop appearance without being an actual hardtop. Neat styling trick as the Safety Nazis have seen to it that true four door hardtops will never see the light of day again.

IMO, I believe cars of this type are the coming thing for the '20's. Nicely proportioned without all the strange clashing styling cues I see on way too many cars today. While this one's shape is pretty simple, it stands out due to the aforementioned proportions and stance.

As Bill said, the nose could some cleaning up a tad, otherwise save for a slightly smaller wheel diameter, this could roll out as is. ;)

Looks good, but then again it'll be a high-end car...in a price range where there will be no excuse for it to not look good.  Less expensive/more utilitarian vehicles have other considerations than pure style, and will by necessity have different proportions that wouldn't look good with this styling applied to them.  It'll pick up some clutter in the process of making it production-ready: door handles, usable mirrors, and license plates. 

Looks good, but then again it'll be a high-end car...in a price range where there will be no excuse for it to not look good.  Less expensive/more utilitarian vehicles have other considerations than pure style, and will by necessity have different proportions that wouldn't look good with this styling applied to them.  It'll pick up some clutter in the process of making it production-ready: door handles, usable mirrors, and license plates. 

Actually, if you look at past Mazda concepts, and the current line of cars, this isn't too far out of line. Could easily be foretelling the next Mazda 6. Or maybe they'll bring back the 929, calling it Mazda 9 of course. 

Mazda doesn't do high end, so I think this would remain affordable for most.

Beautiful design concept, sleek and simple.  I am really frustrated with the gaping mouth fronts filled with chrome bars.  My only issue with this one are the door lines.  The fronts seem to represent a coupe/tudor and the rears seem to be an afterthought.  With that low roofline I believe it would be rather difficult for a person of any size (adult) to be able to enter or egress from the back seat.

I noticed that it appears to be a 4 door, with rear suicide doors a la the RX-8.  Trim that front overhang at bit and I'd be on it.  This coming from a guy who owns a Mustang with a front overhang. :rolleyes:  Ahh, with my luck it would be the first $150(+) k Mazda and push it right out of the budget..

Edited by The Junkman

From other views, I like the front more but not so sure about the side as much.  At least its clean and free of all the un-needed "stuff" other designers feel the need for.  If the next 6 gets close to this I'll take one.  I'll say this about lighting technology - head and tail lights that looked like this would never have worked in the not-too distant past.

mazda_vision_coupe.thumb.jpg.5025aec3cc7mazda_vision_coupe_1.thumb.jpg.6994febbcmazda_vision_coupe_6.thumb.jpg.cd0bd4a5a

I like the overall shape. The only thing that bugs me is the taillights. They just don't look right. I know that they are play off the headlights but the tiny round lenses with even tinier lights inside don't fit the rear end. Just like the headlight openings are blended into the car's shape, something similar should be used in the rear.